East Coast, NY to Hawaii Airline Travel Suggestions

Pickels

We are in th planning stages of vacationing in Hawaii next year. The biggest concern for those traveling to the Aloha state, is the travel itenuary. We would appreciate suggestions from those who have done this before. Thanks.

We are in th planning stages of vacationing in Hawaii next year. The biggest concern for those traveling to the Aloha state, is the travel itenuary. We would appreciate suggestions from those who have done this before. Thanks.

I noticed you're from Long Island. I'd take the Hawaiian Airlines non-stop flight out of JKF to Honolulu. Flying time is 660 minutes (11 hours).

Some people fly to the west coast and then catch a flight to Honolulu. You're looking at 5 1/2 from west coast plus the preflight checkin and security.

We are going to Hawaii this September and have booked flights from Logan (Boston) to Honolulu via Alaska Airlines. They had the most reasonable prices and times that were reasonable. There are no direct flights from Boston, thus any airline requires a change of planes/layovers. As I recall Delta may have had a better price and had a slightly earlier arrival in Honolulu, but there was only a window of about 35 minutes to change planes in Detroit and that is cutting it too close for us and could also lead to misplaced luggage.:(

I just went on to the Alaska Airlines site and see that they fly out of both Newark and JFK. I hope that this helps.

I would go for Hawaiian! We fly them every year! Better service than Alaska Airways, at least for us. Customer service is outstanding! Spirit of Aloha the minute you get on the plane. Plus they feed you at no additional charge!

We just from Tampa to Atlanta on to Honoluou. 10 hours. Honestly it sounded bad but it wasnt too bad to be honest. On Delta we had access to the Seatback tvs and watched 3 movies and slept a little bit. I bought Noise Cancelling Headphones that was the best purchase I made for the trip. Others have mentioned Hawaiian Airlines and from what I heard from people in Hawaii they are amazing!

We flew from the East coast and just went with the cheapest airfare we could find - but we both decided to spend the night at LAX to break up the flight. I didn't want to fly a red eye on the return flight and my friend didn't want to fly straight through

I thought it was worth it - broke up the flights and got to spend the night at a hotel instead of in an airplane seat.

**Suggestion - check code share airline sites, might be cheaper. My friend bought her American Airline flights via the Alaska Airlines site as the exact same flight was cheaper

The best tip is if you can afford it, make the return trip in First Class (or business if they have it). All return flights are red eyes. First Class makes it must more bearable... :D

The first time I went to Hawaii I did that. My friends were in coach. It was worth every penny to be holding a Formosa and smiling at them as they trudged to the back of the plane. I had a comfy seat and got some sleep where they didn't... ;)

We are just back, a week ago yesterday. We flew out of RDU to Las Vegas and then took Hawaiian airlines out of Las Vegas to Honolulu. I can not say enough good things about Hawaiian Airlines. They remind me of how flying use to be. Also, the stop allowed us a few days to adjust to the time and flight going and coming.

I would definitely explore the new Hawaiian Airlines non-stop out of JFK to HNL. Like everyone has said, they are a great airline and they are flying brand new planes on most of the transpacific routes.

Also, keep in mind, anytime you have to stop, there is the possiblity of a delay due to weather, mechanical, etc. I was an international flight attendant for many years, and I still take the non-stop whenever possible. I know what can happen!

pie223,

I am from Michigan, and also fly into Las Vegas from DTW for a night or two before flying Hawaiian Air to Honolulu non-stop. Breaks up the flying and is easier on the body...lol....Hawaiian Airlines is the way to go as we take it non-stop, you get a meal, nice new planes and the staff is very friendly. We enjoy the long flight. The only way to go for us.:)

~L~

We are going in Sept. Booked a direct flight from Newark to Honolulu on Continental which is now United. Price was reasonable and we would rather sit in the plane for 9.5 hours (non stop)than the 11-14 hour trip when you throw in layovers. We are going three days early so we get acclimated before the ship leaves.

Dan

We just from Tampa to Atlanta on to Honoluou. 10 hours. Honestly it sounded bad but it wasnt too bad to be honest. On Delta we had access to the Seatback tvs and watched 3 movies and slept a little bit. I bought Noise Cancelling Headphones that was the best purchase I made for the trip. Others have mentioned Hawaiian Airlines and from what I heard from people in Hawaii they are amazing!

May I ask which Noise Cancelling Headphones did you purchase? I'm looking at them now for our upcoming 11 hour flight to London.

Thank you - S

Archived