Review Century May 5, San Diego to Vancouver

BettyCruiser

We disembarked the ship Sunday morning. I had purchased a couple seats on the Quick Shuttle to downtown Seattle. Getting off the ship and through customs and immigration was a breeze, finding the bus wasn’t so easy. I ask three different people and got three different answers. After standing in the wrong line for awhile, we finally found the quick shuttle on our own. To find the Quick Shuttle you have to bypass all the lines and go out by the buses, and then you will see the desk. The bus ride was really nice. We did have to get out for customs at the border with our carryon luggage, but we didn’t have to pull out any of the luggage below. We were staying at the Sheraton downtown Seattle, the bus dropped us off at the Best Western about a mile away. Since we were dropped off at a hotel, I thought it would be easy to get a cab, but the hotel wanted everyone to use their unmetered car service. We got a room on the 28th floor of the Sheraton; we had a great view of the city and an NCL ship in port that day.

232323232%7Ffp635%3A9%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A68%3A5%3A32%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73454%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A68%3A6232%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A6%3A9%3C932%3Anu0mrj

After getting settled in the room we decided to head out and find something to eat. We found some happy hour margaritas and nachos. After eating we decided to go back to the hotel and sit in the hot tub for awhile. The pool and fitness center are on the 35th floor and have another great view of the city. We weren’t very hungry after the nachos so we just went to a grocery store a couple blocks from the hotel and got some cheese and bread to snack on that night. The beds at this Sheraton Hotel are very comfortable, we had a good nights sleep Sunday night.

We were finally getting used to the West Coast time zone and slept kind of late, oh well, its vacation. We started our day with breakfast at Lowell’s at the Pike Place Market. I had eggs benedict with crab, yum. After breakfast we explored the market some more then took a walk down to Pioneer Square. This is where the underground tour is, we did this last time we were in Seattle in 2009. I found it very interesting and recommend it. We stopped at the Central Café for a drink. Then we went back to the market and stopped back at Lowell’s for a drink. In the early afternoon we stopped at Elliot’s. We sat at the raw bar and had some wine, oysters and a fish taco. We walked down by the water for awhile. Then on our way back toward the hotel we stopped at The Brooklyn for martinis and oysters.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A6%3A%3A3932%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63582%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A6%3A%3A5332%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63553%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A6%3A%3A5532%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73445%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A6%3A%3A5732%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63558%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A68%3A7%3B32%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6357%3A%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D378%3B%3A6%3A%3A6532%3Anu0mrj

We had an early flight back home at 6:30; there is an available flat rate from downtown hotels to the airport for $34. There was no traffic, that early in the morning. We connected flights in Denver; our lay over time was extended about another hour due to the plane arriving from Las Vegas late.

We knew that we would love the ship since we had already sailed on the Century twice. We still love the ship and look forward to sailing the Century again. Although I love to try bigger and newer ships, I come back to oldies but goodies. The size of the Century makes it really easy to get around on the ship. The staff is very happy and compares themselves to a family; this translates into some of the best service we have experienced. The senior staff is very visible and personable. I saw the captain all over the ship and he would stop and shake your hand and chat. I was looking for something different than our usual Caribbean cruise and found it. All of our ports were new for us, great adventures exploring new places. We were very lucky to have great weather. I had packed a rain coat and umbrella thinking especially as we travel north it would get colder and wetter, but we never needed them. We have decided that we aren’t done exploring the West Coast. While on board we booked a week on the Century in spring 2014 for the Los Angeles round trip itinerary. On that cruise we will visit more new ports!

Hi Beth, this is a seriously wonderful review:) thanks for sharing your

experience with us. I love Century too and did this one in May 2011.

Century was my first Celebrity ship....she really is special:D

Which week did you book for next year?

I would like to thank everyone for following along and the encouraging comments. I'm glad I can help others decide on a future cruise:)

Feel free to keep asking questions and I will answer what I can.

Hi Lois, While on board I booked the Century for May 3rd 2014, but about a week after I got home they called to tell me that week had been chartered. So now with double our original OBC;) we're booked on the April 26th Century sailing. It's one of the LA round trip sailings, we go back to San Francisco and Catalina Island, plus get to go to Santa Barbara and Monterey for the first time and then I think I'll use Ensenada as a pool day:) We'll stay at the Queen Mary before and after the Century cruise. Then I booked a Princess northbound because the dates fit and it was cheap and it was a ship I hadn't sailed yet;)

Beth

I would like to thank everyone for following along and the encouraging comments. I'm glad I can help others decide on a future cruise:)

Feel free to keep asking questions and I will answer what I can.

Hi Lois, While on board I booked the Century for May 3rd 2014, but about a week after I got home they called to tell me that week had been chartered. So now with double our original OBC;) we're booked on the April 26th Century sailing. It's one of the LA round trip sailings, we go back to San Francisco and Catalina Island, plus get to go to Santa Barbara and Monterey for the first time and then I think I'll use Ensenada as a pool day:) We'll stay at the Queen Mary before and after the Century cruise. Then I booked a Princess northbound because the dates fit and it was cheap and it was a ship I hadn't sailed yet;)

Beth

Ohhh...sounds great:)...I can never sail at the end of a month:eek:

Great review!

What was the name of the wine tour you did in Victoria?

I'm really looking forward to the Century Wine cruise in Sept 2012.

Great Fermentations! Wine and Distillery Tour

I booked it through the shore excursion desk on the ship.

Archived