Help With Day in the Daintree, Please

MalibuCA

My husband and I are staying post-cruise in Port Douglas for a few days, and we are planning to rent a car for a day trip on our own to the Daintree Rainforest. We want to do the following:

1) Mossman Gorge

2) Daintree River Ferry

3) Daintree River Cruise

4) Daintree Discovery Centre

4) Cape Tribulation

Although I have read a great deal about this area, I'm still very unsure on how to put it altogether. Here are my questions:

1) Many have recommended visiting the Mossman Gorge, but I am not sure what we do when we get there. Is there a walk that we can take, or are there lookout spots along the way? If there is a walk, is it flat and easy? How long should we allow for the walk? It should be noted that we are easy walkers, not hikers or mountain climbers.

2) Where do we get the ferry? How far past Mossman Gorge do we go to find the ferry? Will there be a long line of cars to get onto the ferry, or is it a quick process to get across the river?

3) I have read about numerous river cruises, including Bruce Belcher's, Dan Irby's Mangrove Adventures and Solar Whisper Wildlife Cruises. What is the "best" river cruise, where we see the most, learn the most, but at the same time fit it into a one day trip where we are trying to reach Cape Tribulation and get back to Port Douglas by the end of the day (around 6:00 or 6:30 p.m.) Of course, any cruise that is only offered in the early morning or in the evening cannot be considered because we won't be able to be there at that time.

4) While we are in the Rainforest on our way to Cape Tribulation, are there some lookouts or other places that we should not miss along the way? I have read that there is a nice easy walk at the Daintree Discovery Centre, but is there anywhere else we should plan an easy exploration? Please be specific with the order of sights and how we get to them.

5) Okay -- we've reached Cape Tribulation. What do we do there? Is it primarily for beachgoers, or are there some places to see and explore? I've read about the zipline jungle experience, and that's not for us. I am interested in knowing what we should see and do while staying on the ground.

6) Please provide me with a sample itinerary, if you can, that identifies how long it will take to get to each of these places and how long we should plan to spend there. Is all of this doable in one day on our own? If not, what should we eliminate?

7) Is there a "don't miss" sight that is missing from my list? Something we should do instead of something that is on my list?

Thanks so much for your help!

Shelley:confused:

Here's a link to the walking trails at Mossman Gorge. I would recommend doing the Rainforest Circuit (3-4 km) which incorporates the River Circuit. The walk through the rainforest is pleasant and easy to do. You are unlikely to encounter many people on the trail, which is nice.

http://short-walks.com.au/queensland/mossman-gorge-river-circuit/

You cannot do all of the things you have listed in one day--there's just not enough time. If you only have a car for one day, you are going to have to pick and choose what you do. We have been to Daintree and Mossman Gorge several times, but never all the way to Cape Trib. We also have not a river cruise as we never had time for that either. (We always visit this area in the winter when there are fewer daylight hours, but you still don't have enough time in the summer to do all that you have listed.)

I do know the lines for the ferry are long mid-morning (crossing to Daintree) and late afternoon (crossing from Daintree). Try to avoid those times.

We did a river cruise and the Daintree Forest walk with a tour company from Port Douglas. That was on a day call on a cruise and we just booked from a stall on the Marina boardwalk.

There are many tours on offer and they know the best spots to go to.

Cape Tribulation would be a full day tour at the best of times.

I visited Cape Tribulation but not as part of a cruise. We took a bus tour from Cairns. It left around 9am and got back to Cairns around 6 or 7pm. The bus made stops in Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge and did a river cruise. It sounds like you won't try, but if you go swimming in Mossman Gorge, be warned it's very slippery. We extended our tour by staying overnight in Cape Trib and returning on another day. There is plenty to do in Cape Trib, we went snorkelling (a full day trip), kayaking, and rainforest walks. I think if you are doing it yourself you would not have enough time to do justice to Cape Trib. I think for a one day tour you should stick to Port Douglas, Daintree and a river cruise.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great day. Cape Trib was my favourite stop of my month in Australia.

You cannot do all of the things you have listed in one day--there's just not enough time.

Every day tour from Cairns does all you plan to do in the one day. And You are driving from a point that's one hour closer, and you won't be doing hotel pickups or trying to keep a group organised. So you'll be OK. Just start early and plan a big day. The long lines mentioned are the Cairns tours/traffic jam. They all leave Cairns at the same time.

It's a very well worn path you're taking. Simply stop where there are other cars and you won't miss anything.

• 2 weeks later...

MalibuCA~

We did this last year and used this website: http://www.daintreeinfo.com/region_guide/index.php?RegionInfoID=392&RegionSubjectID=13 as our guide.

If you want to see a review of what we did, please feel free to check out our blog at http://www.thenextjourney.com/2011/12/cairns-daintree-cape-trib-great-barrier-reef/

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. BTW, it doesn't sound like there is anything chaotic about the way you plan your cruises, "Cruisechaos!" You've truly helped my planning.

Thanks,

Shelley

Archived