waterproof pants or ski pants?

usaspire

Hi everyone (again). Another silly/newbie question.

It looks like it is going to be raining for the next few weeks in alaska. I have a waterproof/rain jacket ready...which is basically my ski jacket since it's waterproof and warm :).

Do people usually still just walk around in jeans on board and land? or, do you wear something like waterproof pants over jeans? Would simply wearning ski pants around be ok or will that be going overboard?

Hi everyone (again). Another silly/newbie question.

It looks like it is going to be raining for the next few weeks in alaska. I have a waterproof/rain jacket ready...which is basically my ski jacket since it's waterproof and warm :).

Do people usually still just walk around in jeans on board and land? or, do you wear something like waterproof pants over jeans? Would simply wearning ski pants around be ok or will that be going overboard?

You will likely be very hot in ski pants, go buy some inexpensive rain pants at either an outdoor store or a golf shop.

It all depends on how insulated your ski pants are -mine are just a single layer of nylon and are meant to be worn over other pants or long underwear. I use them all the time in wet weather as they make nice rain pants too.

I think a ski jacket and waterproof pants is way overkill. Most of the time you may get some rain showers but rarely a full all day downpour. Temps also will be at worst high 50's in port, more likely higher. I just wear jeans with a t shirt, maybe a sweatshirt and a lightweight waterproof jacket. You can add/subtract layers as needed.

I sail in about a week for my 18th cruise to Alaska and can say I've never taken or wished I had more rain gear with me. For maybe 10+ trips I took a rain ponco I had purchased and its never been out of the package. Now its buried in one of the closets at home

If Californians can ski in jeans. I think they are good for walking around Alaska. We also saw alot onboard the ship.

Thats also what we did last week

You have to consider YOUR tolerance for cold weather.

I don't hike so I didn't see the need for rain pants. I have a pair of lined nylon Addidas jogging pants that I wear when walking the dogs on cold rainy days. I only wore them on deck for glacier viewing; they were warm and comfortable plus they provided additional protection against the wind. That was also one of the few times I wore my jacket (and hat and gloves).

Most of the time I wore jeans, plus a long sleeve T and a fleece pullover. If it rained I kept a TOTES poncho in my daypack. It was below the knee so it kept my legs warm and dry, plus it covered my daypack which protected my camera and binoculars.

This brings me to another question. What would one wear in July and August? Floridians know about rain but not cold! I was thinking this is a great year to take another cruise because I have all my clothes from a Caribbean cruise earlier this month. From this conversation I am thinking those may not be appropriate. What do people wear on summer cruises in AK?

What do people wear on summer cruises in AK?

That's what this thread is about. Alaska cruises only occur in the summer. The weather in August can be the same as May's weather, or better, or worse. That's why the best advice is layers and a daypack so you can add on or take off layers as the day progresses.

Most of the time you may get some rain showers but rarely a full all day downpour. Temps also will be at worst high 50's in port, more likely higher. I just wear jeans with a t shirt, maybe a sweatshirt and a lightweight waterproof jacket. You can add/subtract layers as needed.

I sail in about a week for my 18th cruise to Alaska ...

Thank you! This is very helpful, and is along the way that we are currently thinking.

But we are wondering if a single-layer jacket is enough. Have posters here who have been on AK cruises thought that a padded jacket (such as a ski jacket) is really necessary? Or is it just nice thing to wear (i.e., like some people who wear cold-weather clothing in warm climes even if it is not necessary)?

hmmm I get cold easily so will still carry my ski jacket. Good about that it that I always remove the inside layer if it gets too hot.

I'll rethink the ski pants...I think the idea of having like a adidas pants. Thanks for htat suggestion

The only time I feel the need to bundle up is if I am on the bow of the ship while sailing. It can get pretty cool when near the glaciers with the wind, but then when I'm outside it is for hours not just 5 minutes. What i ind very handy is actually a scarf. For walking around town or on most excursions IMHO heavy gear is not needed and is just a pain to carry around with you.

I agree that the ski pants are probably overkill, esp. if they are the heavier ones. Whether you need waterproof pants depends what activities you have planned, and where will you be if it is a rainy day. We like to be on deck in rain or shine. If it is raining on one of your scenic sailing days or when you are an outdoor excursion, waterproof pants will be appreciated. We bought the packable waterproof pants. We used them only once this past summer on our 14 day cruise, but we were very happy we had them.

Oh my goodness people.

You're cruising the Panhandle in summer, not going to the North Pole in December. Do not bring ski pants.

I moved to Alaska from Palm Springs. It was 116 the day I left there. Not sure about the weather as I sailed up(took the Alaska Ferry), but I wore jeans and a sweatshirt and was perfectly fine.

I live in the northwest and have never owned a pair of wind/rain pants however I know some people do appreciate them. Ski pants will definitely be overkill, a light weight pair of nylon waterpoof pants maybe but if you are doing any serious hiking a cheap pair wont breath and you will end up being cold and clammy.

alright alright :) I see everyone's point. No ski pants. I think I am just being extra caution since this is my first cruise and visit to Alaska.

Thanks for setting me straight!

I typically pack 1 pair of lightweight long johns to wear under my jeans or pants when glacier hiking. I too get very cold easily and would rather be warm. :)I think layers is key.

It's very subjective. It depends on the weather, which is very changeable. I have always taken my fleece jacket and used it and also a rain jacket.

Just purchased a pair of inexpensive over the pant rainpants, because last time I got soaked on a day that it poured continuously. If I don't need them, I will be okay with that.

Archived