Tropical Storms/weather

As we get ready to go on our summer vacation aboard the Oasis, I see this morning that a tropical storm has developed in the Caribbean Sea. I was just curious if anyone has experience with Royal Caribbean and their policies about weather/storms? Will they change the routes/ports? I am sure they deal with this all the time in the Summer so they probably have a plan??

Thanks alot, we cant wait to sail the Oasis!!

from weather.com Hurricane Central:

- There are no tropical cyclones in the Atlantic Basin. - However, an area of low pressure near the coast of Cuba is being monitored for development. - Atmospheric conditions are not favorable for development at this time. - The low is forecast to move northeastward off the Southeast coast Friday then could turn back southwestward and move toward northeast Florida or Georgia over the weekend. - Bud was upgraded to a hurricane at 11 p.m. PDT Wednesday. - As of 2 a.m. PDT Thursday Bud was located about about 350 miles southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico.

RCL & all cruise lines are very careful when dealing with any type of severe weather...if a hurricane developes they will adjust ports & routes to avoid it..."IF" a hurricane is predicted to strike your departure port be sure to monitor RCL'S website for any changes in sailing times or even in departure ports

I have been on a few cruises with RCCL where there were hurricanes in our projected path. RCCL is great. They actually changed the order of our islands so we were ahead of the hurricanes. We actually met others from different cruise lines and they had stops just cancelled.

On my transatlantic trip back to the US two years ago, we had to divert 200 miles off course to avoid a magilla of a storm that had kicked up near Greenland.

They couldn't have handled it better. We were told the day before the decision was made that they were monitoring it carefully, and once they made the call, the captain and his team held a forum in the auditorium to show us the satellite images, assure us the ship would be fine but we'd all be puking, etc. Nobody questioned the decision after that!

We ended up missing one port and arriving early enough at the next one to overnight there the day before we were due.

As we get ready to go on our summer vacation aboard the Oasis, I see this morning that a tropical storm has developed in the Caribbean Sea. I was just curious if anyone has experience with Royal Caribbean and their policies about weather/storms? Will they change the routes/ports? I am sure they deal with this all the time in the Summer so they probably have a plan??

Thanks alot, we cant wait to sail the Oasis!!

Just be flexible and you will be ok :) Always remember that RCI is NOT going to jeapordize a 1.8 billion dollar ship and all of its passengers and crews safety :) They will have a plan for sure.

Dont get upset if you miss ports though or your itinerary changes. Thats par for the course during a storm but invariably there will be people at Guest Services yelling at them as if they have control of the weather :rolleyes:

If you book independent tours be aware of the cancellation policy in case the ship has to alter the sequence of their port visits, misses your port, or changes everything and goes to the other side of the Caribbean. Just in case. ;)

Our extended family went on a cruise 7-8 years ago and had no knowledge about Hurricane Charlie. Found out about it when we docked in FL. We did notice all the "pretty" lightning storms off of our balconies every night, but never speculated that we were watching a far of, massive hurricane. We were shocked by the newspaper pix and headlines as we arrived at the airport.

Archived