kids - sign passport?

nothriver

My daughters passport is not signed, we last used it when she was 3/4, she'll be turning 7 during our next trip - do I have her "sign" it? I think we'll be again next summer before it expires.

Thanks!!! Leaving in a week, frantically trying to wrap up the loose ends!

Q:My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

a:In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.

That's interesting, we were told that no one is to sign our children's Canadian passports. The boys are 4 and 7 yrs.

Just goes to show you have to ask lots of questions and know the answers pertinent to you when travelling!

NO!

Your child at that age does not sign their passport. Leave it blank for now. When you get to the airport the check in agent will review all your documents. They will then witness YOU sign their name on their passport, and write "mother" or "father" next to their name.

(I just went through this whole process 1 month ago with my 1 yo and 5 yo while traveling to Turkey)

The check in agent is just an airline employee who does not have to 'witness' the signing. The correct procedure (for US passports) is listed in post #4.

Well that makes perfect sense to me, however, I began signing my daughter's passport and was firmly and loudly told "Stop ma'm! I need to see you signing it, step over here, please." (I was standing off to the side with the kids and all the bags.)

Just passing on info since I just did this a month ago. I don't really care what anyone does. (i have a life outside this website)

Archived