What was your BEST pre-cruise purchase for your little one?

TheCalicoCat

Not in the toy category, but we hemmed and hawed about which stroller to bring for our 1 yo and 5 yo on our Mediterranean cruise. Our 5 yo is small and still loves the stroller.

We debated between 2 light umbrellas and an all terrain double and went with Britax's all terrain double.

Best decision ever!!

We couldn't have used umbrella strollers in european streets with their tiny wheels. The poor kids would have been bounced all over the place. It would have been awful.

The britax double folded small and could fit under the bed. It was light enough to carry over steps in Italy when needed, narrow enough for turnstyles and small walkways, heavy enough to hold all our shopping bags plus 2 kids and their stuff. Can't say enough good things about this stroller!

We bought our son a package of sand toys that came in a mesh bag, he was told they were for the cruise. He waited patiently and played with them on each beach we went to. This nice part was they all fit back into the mesh bag.

After 3 cruises with a little one there are a bunch.

Without a doubt my favorite is our Ergo carrier which is comfortable enough I can still use it, great when you want to keep your LO close or you are one a walking tour.

For this cruise, our LO just turned 3 so we got a Shrunks toddler air mattress - we have two kids and the suite comes with a couch bed and a wall pull down with ladder. By bringing the toddler air mattress we can put DS on couch bed and not have the temptation of a ladder for DD to climb :eek: ).

Other favorites include:

iPad? Does that count :D I love that they can watch a movie while waiting somewhere, play games, read a book...all on one device.

Since we have always had significant travel via air to get to port, space for toys is limited. I still swear by Automoblocks, we have had them for at least 3 years and the boys still find them fun and interesting to use. That's my kind of toy!

For our 6 month old:

-crib bib, waterproof mat so we didn't have to worry about diapers leaking on the bedding.

-musical book toy thing

-Ergo carrier

-sailor suit, it was super cute and made for great photographs.

We all know that was YOUR new toy ;) don't try to pass it of like you got it for the kids. ;p

Actually, it was my gift to DH for his birthday, but the kids ended up using it more than he did ;) I'm desperately trying to keep us from being "that family" that has an iPad for each person :D

Off to Alaska this summer, and I bought DH a really nice pair of binoculars online, waterproof, fogproof etc. While looking at them, I could already hear the kids "my turn, I want to see, she's had them longer, no fair, he saw a whale on his turn, I only saw a bird..."

So I threw two pair of less expensive (one pair around $40, the other under $15) binoculars into the online cart. Now between the camera, a pair of good binos, and two pair of "cheapees" no one will be without!

My best purchases have been things for "the magic bag". I fill it with small things from the dollar store/dollar bins at Target, and each evening, if they were good, they get to draw something from the bag.

It works in 3 ways. One, it is motivation (ok a bribe) for good behavior. If you don't stop doing XYZ, you will not be getting anything from the magic bag! Two, it keeps them occupied. On nights I knew we'd be in the dining room I gave them sticker books, little coloring sets, etc. They worked on those things the whole meal! And three, it's a great way to space out the toys. I hate packing a bunch of toys and then the kids are tired of them by the second day. This way they get one new thing a day.

I think one of the best investments I've made so far is to purchase her own snorkeling equipment. She started snorkeling/swimming beside us last September and absolutely loves the ocean/water. On her second cruise we bought her fins and this was a great purchase to go along with her mask. Now that it's summer and the pool is open in our community, she will get a lot of snorkeling practice before our next cruise in 6 months. :D

One rule we have stuck with ( our daughter is 8) is try not to buy any toy that takes batteries. Battery operated toys run out at the worse times it seems, correct batteries are never found etc. Books, legos, puzzles, drawing pads and crayons etc.

• 2 weeks later...
One rule we have stuck with ( our daughter is 8) is try not to buy any toy that takes batteries. Battery operated toys run out at the worse times it seems, correct batteries are never found etc. Books, legos, puzzles, drawing pads and crayons etc.

Good rule, I am with you on that one!

2 flights & 2 train rides - we barely took anything out of the goody bag.

My son watched some youtube on my husband's cell phone while we waited in the train station in Seattle - but that is because we were too cold to do anything. It was bout 50 & I had been cold on the plane, so all I wanted to do was get to my hotel bed - several hours (almost 10 hours) after our lane landed.

If we had gone to the Market/space needle/etc. then he probably would not have had any screen time.

When DD was 4 we took her on a Baltic cruise. Best purchase ever was an indestructible camera so she could take her own photos and videos as well as play games. Well, that and the crown my mother bought her at Kensington Palace the day before we sailed. She wore that crown every day of the cruise. We learned to say "princess" in every language across northern Europe that summer :)

Archived