Space Shuttle on Ft Lauderdale Web Cam

MrBill64

Yes, it is a non working model that was used in Port Canaveral for various things (training, etc Hubby did some stuff with NASA on the program, so I know this) Anyway, the Explorer departed yesterday from Port Canaveral and is on her way to the Houston Space Flight Center for display.

It will take 10 days to get to Houston via water.

Ehat an awesome sight to see though. I took some snapshots yesterday and again this morning and they are posted on the Port Everglades Face Book Page here: http://www.facebook.com/Port.Everglades.Webcam#!/Port.Everglades.Webcam The one snap shot from today really looks like she is landing on the water right off the coast:)

Joanie

Yes, it is a non working model that was used in Port Canaveral for various things (training, etc
Are you sure about that? I think it was always just an exhibit at KSC (not Port Canaveral) for visitors. It was built in 1993, long after real orbiters existed. The Enterprise, the orbiter-without-engines that was used for training went to the Smithsonian initially and then was recently moved to the NYC Intrepid Museum when the Smithsonian was given Discovery.

I've been in the Explorer mock-up twice, and I don't see how it could be useful for any sort of real training beyond "this is what it looks like", and as I said the Enterprise and real orbiters were available for that and more.

Are you sure about that? I think it was always just an exhibit at KSC (not Port Canaveral) for visitors. It was built in 1993, long after real orbiters existed. The Enterprise, the orbiter-without-engines that was used for training went to the Smithsonian initially and then was recently moved to the NYC Intrepid Museum when the Smithsonian was given Discovery.

I've been in the Explorer mock-up twice, and I don't see how it could be useful for any sort of real training beyond "this is what it looks like", and as I said the Enterprise and real orbiters were available for that and more.

Both the Enterprise and the Explorer were used for training. Shortly after the Columbia tragedy the Explorer was used for training the Astronauts on using the Sony Black and White camera and the Canadian Arm that was used later on the next shuttle to show tile damage.

How do I know you may ask??? Because my hubby was the Tech Writer who wrote the instructions for the Sony camera that was used. The camera was purchased by Sandia Labs her in Albuquerque off of eBay and did not come with instructions on its usage. Sony said they would sell the US Government the instructions, but at such an exorbitant cost that they then turned to my hubby's company Tech Reps for help.

Joanie

Archived