Why does the room availabilty change so often

stromer

I have been looking at room availability on my upcoming June 6 cruise and noticed that the number of cabins available in the various categories sometimes change drastically overnight. For example, about midnight there were no Inside or Outside cabins available but by next morning there were at least 8 categories open with numerous numbered cabins and guarantees shown. The time frame is such that once you book, you owe the entire fare and you are committed. Thus, the above facts cannot be due to people booking and then cancelling.

Could it be that travel agents are holding cabins and then releasing them the next day.

I am looking at this to determine my probability of an upgrade by determining how many cabins remain unsold as the cruise date gets closer. Does anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks

By this time, any unsold cabins held by travel agents would have been turned back to Princess.

One possible reason:

Upgrades have been assigned freeing up cabins in those categories.

The other reason I think could be that when you go in and look at various cabins, if you click on that cabin, it disappears for a time. The system is assuming that one is booking that room and it is taken out of the inventory temporarily. Imagine how many people are looking at cabins in the evening etc. only to not book at that moment, but later after they have discussed it or called their TA.

Just a thought.

How far past final payment are you? If not far, Princess could still be cleaning up the cancelations.

Chances of getting an upgrade are solely dependent on the shims of the Upgrade Fairy. Attempting to apply logic to the process will only cause your head to spin.

You seem to be worrying about getting an upgrade. You might be better, calling your TA or Princess and paying for it.

I have been looking at room availability on my upcoming June 6 cruise and noticed that the number of cabins available in the various categories sometimes change drastically overnight. For example, about midnight there were no Inside or Outside cabins available but by next morning there were at least 8 categories open with numerous numbered cabins and guarantees shown. The time frame is such that once you book, you owe the entire fare and you are committed. Thus, the above facts cannot be due to people booking and then cancelling.

Could it be that travel agents are holding cabins and then releasing them the next day.

I am looking at this to determine my probability of an upgrade by determining how many cabins remain unsold as the cruise date gets closer. Does anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks

On average, cabins turn over 8x before sailing. People cancel for a variety of reasons, decide to upgrade themselves, GTY's are assigned, etc. Since the default for all bookings is that they would accept an upgrade, I'd say your chances are very slim. It all depends on supply and demand. As said, the best way to upgrade is to pay the difference. Even if you are upgraded, the difference between categories is sometimes insignificant. Same cabin, different location. Also, keep in mind that what Princess or someone else might consider an upgrade doesn't necessarily mean that it really is. The bottom line is, be careful what you wish for.

Archived