Will all the daylight hours affect sleeping?

DogLover45

We'll be on a cruise the first week of July. Because there is so much daylight at that time, someone suggested that we bring something to cover our eyes. I would assume that the curtains on the cruise ships will do the job of blocking the light. Can anyone address this?

We'll be on a cruise the first week of July. Because there is so much daylight at that time, someone suggested that we bring something to cover our eyes. I would assume that the curtains on the cruise ships will do the job of blocking the light. Can anyone address this?

This was the number 1 reason why we chose an inside.

The curtains should do the job, but I have read cruise packing lists that included clothes pins to keep them closed, etc.

What? There's no sleeping on a cruise vacation! There'll be time for that when you get back home! :D

We've had balcony cabins the last 2 Alaskan cruises, both in June and on the weeks of the longest day of the year. It's pretty cool to be on your balcony at 10:00 pm and it feels more like dusk. But with that said, we are both super sensitive to light waking us up in the morning and the heavy balcony curtains have completely done the trick.

The solution is learning to sleep with eye shades! I wear them at home and always when traveling but get good ones (www.magellans.com) is a place to start looking.

I can tell you that eye shades are a must unless you wnat to put aluminum foil over the windows! (been there, done that).

Based on personal experiences and loss of sleep, I can testify that if I see strong daylight in the very wee hours, I can't get back to sleep.

At the very least regarding the drapery on ships, take along some safety pins to close those tight.

We have a blackout shade AND light blocking drapes and it is still bright our bedroom at 4:00 am. Of course it is lot brighter outside.

Eye shades can work, but we don't use them. There is no way to get used to it.

An inside cabin would definitely help.

JUst stay up and enjoy the scenery!

Every balcony / view cabin I've had has had double set of covering for the window just like hotels, can be almost as black as an inside cabin.

But it is easy to get fooled and stay up late to enjoy that wonderful light, also refershing to leave the window open and get up and enjoy the ship at 5am with no crowds....

Sleeping is overated... :D

I have never had a problem sleeping with the added daylight hours. Just maintain your regular routine of going to going to bed and getting up. One other thought would be to bring along a couple of close-pins to hold the curtains together in the event they don't close tight.

You can make it dark using the curtains if you want. We always leave them open and wake up whenever. The view is too good to worry about losing a little sleep. The real trick is being able to sleep without it having to be dark. For us that is no problem.

It's NOT bright light (as it is here right now at one p.m.) It's more like dusk for some of the hours.

I'm always so tired on a ship that I just fall asleep and that's it.............I walk the decks intentionally, even on sea days when there's "nothing" to see. Love to enjoy the meals so I have to try and burn them off.;)

The drapes do a superb job, if needed.

My husband found a clothespin on a shelf in the closet as he was packing. He asked me "what the heck is this for?" We loved the late-night light, especially the night we spent in Anchorage, and how early the sun rises there.

:D:D:D That was good!!!!! I am glad I wasn't drinking anything when reading this.:D:D:D

Archived