Water/Coffee/Tea on Magnifica

surgtek8

Hello all, I have read so many threads now about the water/coffee/tea situation on all the MSC cruises and I am confused. I am sailing on the Magnifica on June 17 out of Kiel and I wanted to know do we need to buy a water package, is there free water on board, should be buy it when we are off the boat?? I heard that if you booked in the US (which I did) there is some kind of free water coupons to get? Do we get these on board or do we need to call customer service? Confused...can anyone give some clarity?:confused: Thanks in advance.

I am doing this cruise in Aug, so please come back and tell us about it when you return.

As far as the water, when we sailed the fantasia in Dec/Jan 10/11, we were given a book of coupons for bottled water to be used in the dining room. It was stated on our cruise docs and we recieved the coupons the first night in the MDR.

I just recieved my confirmation of final payment and it lists

601 MINERAL WATER Confrimed $0

check your confirmation and see if it is listed.

Lois

The free water that is available all day tends to be in the buffet area. I would not prebook a water package. My advice would be to wait until you get onboard and find out how easy it is to get free tap water in the MDR. If the waiter is resistant tondoingbthat or says he can't, then by all means by a package onboard. However you may well find you have no issues getting free water in the MDR (as long as you ask for it, it is unlikely they'll automatically offer you it)

Is there a drinking tap in the gym? If so fill a bottle there each day :)

Why do you want to go all the way to the gym to fill your water? You can fill all you want in your own cabin and nobody sees it, it is the same water! Don't forget to ask your attendant to clear the fridge so you can store your own cold water and use it for off shore.

Happy sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

The only free water available in in the buffet area. We had to buy a liter or two of water each night with dinner. I would buy the package it is cheaper, but I would recommend another cruise line instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I Will be taking the same cruise from kiel in August and would have some questions ?

This is my first time using MSC cruises and will be going to Norwegian Fjords from Kiel. 19th August till 26th August 2012

Since I will be travelling with kids and have read various threads saying that the cruise is not so kids friendly is this true has anyone travelled with MSC Magnifica and had any problems?

This would help very much so I would Be prepared and try to make my holiday enjoyable most possible.

As for the water I have been suggested to buy the package it's more worth it.

Thanks a lot

Ganmari

Well haven't travelled with kids but there are always loads onboard what with the kids sail free deal all the time. Italian's tend to cruise in extended family groups, so I'd be amazed if they weren't kid friendly.

They don't have all the activities onboard that some of the big American ship's have like climbing Walls and ice skating rinks. Nor do I think the kids programme operatesvas many hours as some other lines, so that could be where some of the criticism comes from.

• 4 weeks later...
The point PC168 was making that the free water you get at the buffet or gym, comes from the very same source as the stuff that comes out the tap in your cabin.

My wife is from Europe and she would sooner die of thirst then drink from the tap.

Just returned from Opera. We asked for tap water for our dinner table on the first night, and it was served to us every other night without asking. We were also offered coffee at the table after dinner each night as well.

My wife is from Europe and she would sooner die of thirst then drink from the tap.

Which is why selling bottles of water at meals is so prevalent on MSC European cruises. They are catering to the majority who wouldn't thank you for tap water. However Europe is a big place comprising many countries and there are a lot of Europeans whom will also happily drink tap water. Guess it partly depends on quality of local water and partly on culture. Personally, I don't care either way. Happy to drink tap water at home but will also buy it if that's the norm of where I am when overseas.

Tap water is controlled and monitored to meet strict EU health standards. Bottled water is not and can contain all manner of unpleasant things including radioactive minerals, contaminants including toxic leaching from the bottle material, and additives put in there by the manufacturers to make it 'taste healthy'. If any of these were found in tap water, the water company would be closed down.

On ships, water is generally 'made', i.e. sea water and some non-dirty waste water is converted into pure distilled water (nothing but H2O). Humans don't take too well to distilled water so minerals are added in an isotonic concentration, i.e. ideal for humans.

I always drink tap water on ships and in every EU country. In other countries, I make my own judgements based on published data but bottled water is the very last resort, if I am dying of thirst, so to speak.

Tap water is controlled and monitored to meet strict EU health standards. Bottled water is not and can contain all manner of unpleasant things including radioactive minerals, contaminants including toxic leaching from the bottle material, and additives put in there by the manufacturers to make it 'taste healthy'. If any of these were found in tap water, the water company would be closed down.

On ships, water is generally 'made', i.e. sea water and some non-dirty waste water is converted into pure distilled water (nothing but H2O). Humans don't take too well to distilled water so minerals are added in an isotonic concentration, i.e. ideal for humans.

I always drink tap water on ships and in every EU country. In other countries, I make my own judgements based on published data but bottled water is the very last resort, if I am dying of thirst, so to speak.

All food & water taste great after a refreshing bottle of Crown Royal.:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo73SSbsWXrAKpcXO5XCQT7zI1OWIGTHCIX5xg8vDK6UBz05Cf

Don't forget to ask your attendant to clear the fridge so you can store your own cold water and use it for off shore.

Does this imply that there is a "minibar" of somekind that is stocked with purchasable items? And that you can request the items be removed at no charge? I haven't seen this discussed yet.

Does this imply that there is a "minibar" of somekind that is stocked with purchasable items? And that you can request the items be removed at no charge? I haven't seen this discussed yet.

Yes there is a minibar stocked with items you can buy. They are free if you have the Allegrissimo Premium package.

Archived