NYC advice

MNLIvin

We have booked the Panama Canal cruse out of NYC for next March and i am trying to start a little planning. Can someone advise a recommendation on transportation from either of the airports to a hotel in the times square/WTC areas. cab fare etc?

Same for the transportation to the terminal. How about a suggestion for some hotels that would not break the bank.

Just getting started on this and would very much appreciate any help.

Joe

Google Ground transportation NYC airports. There are lots

of different shuttle services that will stop at mid town hotels.

for about $12-15 per person each way. And you can even book

a reservation online. One thing about NYC

you don't have to worry about finding transportation. You

could also take the subway into Manhattan via the

Airtrain and connect to a subway link. But that will be

a lot of work to save a few dollars.

Check the East Coast Departure Board for info.

IIRC we paid around $50-$55 for a taxi JFK to the Times Square area a few years ago. It is a flat rate from the airport to Manhattan.

We have also used Dial 7 for around the same amount.

We have booked the Panama Canal cruse out of NYC for next March and i am trying to start a little planning. Can someone advise a recommendation on transportation from either of the airports to a hotel in the times square/WTC areas. cab fare etc?

Same for the transportation to the terminal. How about a suggestion for some hotels that would not break the bank.

Joe

This is what we did a couple of years ago on Labor Day weekend in 2010.

For transportation from one of the airports, do a search online for a company with the word 'dial' and the number '7'. It's a limo service that gets you to your Manhattan hotel for a reasonable fee (under $40 with a coupon that is easily found online).

We stayed at the Millenium Hilton on Church St in downtown. The limo took us across the Brooklyn Bridge on the way. The hotel was directly across the street from the WTC and next door to Century 21 for shopping. It was convenient to many of the subway lines. We stayed on a Friday/Saturday night and got a weekend deal of about $240/night(including taxes) for a 1 bedroom suite. The suite had a nice living room, a full size bathroom, and a large bedroom with king size bed. We had a corner suite, and had a view of the WTC construction as well a view overlooking St Pauls Chapel. The room went for well over $300 per night during the week for business travelers.

We had an inexpensive excursion our first afternoon in town. We walked to Battery Park from the hotel and visited the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. We made arrangements a few months in advance to get tickets to climb to the crown in the statue. It's well worth the extra $3 per person for the privilege! Found a row of restaurants on Stone St on the walk back and ended up with a great pizza from Adrienne's for dinner!

The subway took us to Central Park, an afternoon game at Yankee stadium (tickets were bought in advance), Times Square (Virgil's Barbeque for dinner was excellent) on Saturday.

On Sunday morning, the day our cruise to Bermuda departed, a taxi took us from the hotel to the cruise port in Manhattan for about $20.

You're smart to start planning now. Let's hope you get good weather like we had. Whatever you do, have fun!

I always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on 48th & 8th in Midtown when I visit NYC. It's only a few blocks away from Times Square and Broadway, and is conveniently located near several different subway lines. I believe the A-C-E lines and the 1-2-3 lines. All are local trains that will take you to the most touristy spots for the most part. Very easy to get around from this hotel. I always fly into LGA, and the taxi was about $35 last time I was there. I know if you fly into JFK you can take the AirTrain, but it can be a hassle if you have a lot of baggage and aren't used to NYC transportation.

The nice thing besides the location, is that the rooms are above average size for NYC hotels. If you've never stayed in one before, be prepared for the shock at how small they are. :) They're not much bigger than your non-balcony staterooms.

There's so much to do in NYC - how long are you staying pre and post cruise? You're going to feel like you don't have enough time to do everything you want to do.

Here's a tip: If you want a great view of New York Harbor and the city skyline - take the Staten Island Ferry across and back. It's FREE. :)

Joe

There is a Roll Call for this cruise and their is a ton of information on that regarding what others are doing - a lot of reading but some good tips.

There is a Roll Call for this cruise and their is a ton of information on that regarding what others are doing - a lot of reading but some good tips.

This was going to be my suggestion. There is a very active rollcall for this cruise.

Also tickets to the 9/11 memorial are free but must be gotten on line. They are time stamped

Joe

Hey Joe,

I've lived in Manhattan for about 25 years now, in midtown and on the upper west side--I always take a cab in from JFK or LGA. It's very easy to catch a cab in NYC anywhere in Manhattan I assure you. You can do the same when you head to the port. Just step out and raise your hand! There are numerous hotels in the Times Square area that will suit your needs and budget. Look at Priceline--any hotel in the midtown area will be convenient to shows, restaurants, etc. Friends that came in last August got a great deal on the Hilton at 6th Ave--165 a night, and that's a huge hotel with numerous services.

if you want to call a car service (because you have several big pieces of luggage or more than two or three people and need a big vehicle), try Carmel (666-6666), or Dial-7 (777-7777), more expensive than a cab, but might be necessary for you.

Have a great time, and I'm happy to answer any questions concerning a specific hotel, area, questions about Broadway shows (what I do for a living!), and restaurants in the theatre district and uptown.

Cheers,

PLC

I echo the others about checking out the Roll Call for this cruise. Wherever you decide to stay, keep in mind that the day we board (Mar. 16) is the St. Patrick's Day Parade in NYC. People start lining up for the 11:00 parade early. Downtown will be mobbed, so plan ahead!

Ooh, yes--stay West! The parade comes up 5th Ave!

Archived