Fjords Cruise

We are booked on a Northern Lights cruise with FO in February.

Can anyone recommend excursions in any of the following ports ?

Molde,Bergen,Alta,Tromso and Kristiansund.

Is it cheaper to find trips when you get ashore, like Caribbean cruises, or should we stick with the cruise line ?

Many thanks

Well, in tromso, you can easily get around on your own. The museum that has the stuff about arctic exploration is good. You should go up the lift to the top of the mountain and walk around ( though you will be there in winter, so maybe not). Anyway, you can do tromso on your own.

Bergen is the only other one on your list where I have been. Totally walk able and so can do on your own. Really nice town.

We are booked on a Northern Lights cruise with FO in February.

Can anyone recommend excursions in any of the following ports ?

Molde,Bergen,Alta,Tromso and Kristiansund.

Is it cheaper to find trips when you get ashore, like Caribbean cruises, or should we stick with the cruise line ?

Many thanks

In general, European ports are not like Caribbean ports where you can get off the ship and arrange a "tour" with vendors or taxis. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to take a ship tour either. If you read these boards, you can often find 3rd party tour companies in various ports. Also, as the previous person responded, some stops are very easy to just get off the ship and walk around the town or use some basic public transportation or a taxi to get from location to location. But you probably should not plan on relying on a taxi to be there to keep you busy all day driving around. It may or may not happen and it may be very expensive it there is one. On European cruises I usually end up doing a mix of ship tour, private tour, and do-it-yourself. I prefer DIY, if my research gives me enough info on what I might want to do.

In Bergen, I did it myself by walking to all my desired locations in the city. In Molde, I did a ship excursion because the town itself didn't seem to offer me much to do and I didn't find any 3rd party companies that I liked either. I don't recall that either of those stops had any sort of vendors just waiting at the dock to take me away for a day tour.

Bergen is indeed easy to do yourself,e.g. the centre and the Floybahn up the mountain.Most is walking distance.

Since you travel in winter it could be better to book shipsexcursion to avoid possible weather problems.

We stayed a week in Tromso and can recommend the Wilderness Centre for a husky sleigh ride. Extremely expensive but well worth it. Everything is extremely expensive in Norway, even a coffee and a piece of cake.

I have visited Bergen a few times and it is very walkable and the other places you are visiting I believe are quite small although I have not visited, so should be ok. Having said this, please do take a tour that takes you inland, the scenery is spectacular.

Another thing is to make sure you have waterproof jacket, trousers, gloves and boots. Hiking poles are good too incase it is icy and snowy and also ice grips for your boots. Layers of clothing are essential. We also wore vests and long johns under our clothes.

We've got waterproof jackets,thermal gloves/socks and underwear:) also thermal quick drying shirts and fleeces.

We don't hike and are not envisaging starting so no need for poles either.

Any more tips would be welcome.

Archived