Last minute plans for Provence

Brianna14

We are going to be in Marseille on June 23 and most of the private tour operators I have contacted are full. We would like to a aid the ship's tour if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get out of town to see some of the beautiful surrounding areas?

We are going to be in Marseille on June 23 and most of the private tour operators I have contacted are full. We would like to a aid the ship's tour if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get out of town to see some of the beautiful surrounding areas?

Have you contacted Provence Reservation? They are a decent sized company that has a few guides and vehicles. Of course, you can always take a train to Arles.

The train is not a good way to see Provence since it only allows you to go to a few of the major cities. As the other poster suggested, a rental car is the way to see this region. However, if we assume you are going to be in Marseille for only a port day you really do not have much time to see Provence (we have been there for months and have not dented the region). You might consider going into town (via shuttle or taxi) and taking the train or bus up to Aix en Provence. It is a very provencial city with lots of charm...and its easy to get to from Marseille. If you had a rental car and a long day we might suggest a trip to Les Baux, Pont du Gard and Arles as a way to get a variety of stuff into one day.

Hank

I have not taken the train. We had the four of us and joined up with another couple for the guided tour of Arles, Les Baux, and the Pont du Gard. Others from our roll call took trains to Aix or Arles. As Hank suggested, that limits your day. But it still is probably a better way to go than an overpriced and overcrowded cruise ship tour. You just can't get to Les Baux on a train and I'm not even sure the cruise lines offer tours there. It is a very unique place and a hidden jewel in that Provence region (well, it's hidden to many in the cruise population).

Archived