Ladies, what is your choice for formal night?

ekerr19

What do you preder to wear?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What do you preder to wear?

• All out, floor length gown with all the accessories...
    • I prefer a cocktail or tea length gown with all accessories
    • The sexiest dress I can find!
    • Skirt (any length) with sequined top or nice sweater and/or jacket
    • Dressy pants suit or other 2-piece dressy outfit
    • I prefer slacks and a nice blouse and/or jacket
    • I only dress for comfort
    • I don't dress for formal night

I hope EKerr won't mind my sharing a funny story about height, but it's just us girls here, right? We've become good friends on the boards and not long ago we started talking by phone. Recently, we were talking about our heights and Laura told me hers. We were also talking about sizes. So I said, "I'm 5 - 6" and Laura said "Wow! That's fantastic! You're so lucky!".

I thought that was a little bit of an over-reaction, but let it pass thinking is is a nice height, but no one had ever gotten that excited about it before.:) . We were emailing back and forth the other day and Laura said "I still can't believe you're a size 6!" I wrote back " ..... SIZE 6!!!??? ... I'm 5' 6!!!"

I almost lost my coffee and my lunch! I haven't been a size 6 in my entire life!!:D . No one can possibly know how funny that was ... literally ROTFLMAO!!! ... or at least I wish I were!!! :o

So, Classy, I agree with EKerr ... you will look wonderful and "classy" in your long gown with your 5'10 stature. Heads will turn when you walk in the room.

Flat shoes are the most important! On 2 separate cruises the most rolling seas happened to be on formal nights! It sure is hard to walk on heels when the ship is rolling from side to side and you are holding on.

Black seems to be the easiest to pack and you can wear one pair of shoes for several evenings. I have a floor length black skirt that I pair with different tops and shawls. Also tea length black dresses. The ship photos can get pretty boring when you wear the same things for multiple cruises.

Rebecca

It was hard to vote on this. I prefer long gown, all the accessories, glitz and glam.

What I wear is a long(-ish) black skirt with a sequin top. I have four tops in a variety of colors for the eight formal nights typical on my cruises.

I can't be schlepping too much luggage!

Unfortunately, I think pumps have gone the way of all things; feet can't do 'em anymore. :(

But the diamonds (and I!) still sparkle! :D

I'm new to this board, and love getting all the information. We've taken two HAL cruises, planning our third. The formal night topic made me laugh, as on our first ever cruise- to Alaska, I brought a beautiful full length velvet gown with crinoline and shawl. Felt like a million dollars, and proceeded to drop a lettuce leaf with dressing down the front of it. The dress took up a whole garment bag on its own. Remember- this was our first cruise, and we wanted to look good.

On the second cruise-to Mexico, I decided to take a slightly different approach. My husband and I volunteer at a second hand shop run by Big Brothers Big Sisters. I found a lovely cocktail dress for the ridiculous price of $2.00. (It cost $20.00 to dry clean). I got more compliments on that dress than on the Scarlett O'Hara gown.

I'm new to this board, and love getting all the information. We've taken two HAL cruises, planning our third. The formal night topic made me laugh, as on our first ever cruise- to Alaska, I brought a beautiful full length velvet gown with crinoline and shawl. Felt like a million dollars, and proceeded to drop a lettuce leaf with dressing down the front of it. The dress took up a whole garment bag on its own. Remember- this was our first cruise, and we wanted to look good.

On the second cruise-to Mexico, I decided to take a slightly different approach. My husband and I volunteer at a second hand shop run by Big Brothers Big Sisters. I found a lovely cocktail dress for the ridiculous price of $2.00. (It cost $20.00 to dry clean). I got more compliments on that dress than on the Scarlett O'Hara gown.

I've never cruised before on a ship that had formal night, so I'm very much looking forward to dressing up. I understand that one of the formal evenings is usually "dressier" than the other, so I have two outfits. The first is a floor length, pewter grey taffeta skirt with little black velvet designs on it, a black knit, 3/4 length sleeve top with a "portrait" neckline, and a pearl necklace and earrings. I also purchased a cute faux fur capelet to keep me warm! (I was the one who started the thread about fur stoles...I am absolutely terrified of being cold....lol)

The second formal night, a black chiffon skirt, knee length, and a beautiful short sleeved beaded top in black/pewter that I got on sale...I had to add that, it was a steal at about $20!!! I also am bringing a pretty teal colored suit (jacket and skirt), I think it's dupioni (sp?) silk, for the captain's lunch. I am in the throes of accessorizing the last two outfits *smile*. As you can see, I love fashion, and I don't often get to dress up, so I'm very excited about it! I have also discovered vintage Gunne Sax blouses (lace and flounces; sort of Victorian style) on ebay; I might pair one with a simple skirt for another night!

Thanks for the question!!

:) Jane

MS Amsterdam to Alaska 8/7/05

Ekerr and Heather...you ladies are so sweet and so funny!

Trust me, the grass is always greener! Even though I'm tall, I love to wear heels. I love the stiletto type of heels that are fashionable now. The funny part is...my bf is between 5'8.5" and 5'9"...I *wish* I was shorter! :eek:

Your outfits sound lovely and perfect for formal nights. I love pewter and black and wish we could see a picture of your taffeta skirt.

I take it that you have booked an S suite and your teal suit is for the Suite Luncheon?

Yes Peaches, I am very, very fortunate to have been able to book an "S" suite on the Amsterdam, and that's the luncheon I was talking about, I think my brochure said there is a luncheon with the captain for suite passengers, lucky me! I am just so excited about it. Thanks so much for your nice words, I was hoping I didn't bore everyone with too much information!

Jane :)

I hope EKerr won't mind my sharing a funny story about height, but it's just us girls here, right?

I almost lost my coffee and my lunch! I haven't been a size 6 in my entire life!!:D . No one can possibly know how funny that was ... literally ROTFLMAO!!! ... or at least I wish I were!!! :o

So, Classy, I agree with EKerr ... you will look wonderful and "classy" in your long gown with your 5'10 stature. Heads will turn when you walk in the room.

I almost have the same story but opposite. I'm going to Alaska with friends from High school in June on the Princess Diamond as we're all turning 65 this summer. I am 5 ft. - 97 lbs. and wear size 14 in the CHILDRENS DEPT!! I didn't know what to do for formal nights and didn't want to take a lot of clothes. So bought a double layer sort of cheffon knee length black skirt in Penny's girls dept. Cost $9.00... Then bought that material that looks like sequins , light blue, turquuoise, and one of mixed golds and made three tops with a t-shirt pattern. 2 short sleeve and one long sleeve with cuffs. At a cost of less than $4.00 each. Pays to be little sometimes I guess. Problem was the sequiny stuff is glued on and sewing machine would stick so had to sew them all by hand !!!

Love this post - Interesting, funny, and a happy ending! :)

Thanks,

Girls,

I have one question from an aussie on the other side of the world. What is a "tea length" dress.

We have cocktail dresses, calf length skirts/dresses and ankle length dresses/skirts but we haven't heard the word "tea length" before. Please put me out of my misery.

Jennie

gowns .. but with low heels .. days of spikes are long gone!;)

Upcoming Alaska cruise were going to dial it down...leaving the tux at home. Dad's coming along and he's not too comfortable with formal attire. So..men are bringing suits and I'll bring a couple of cocktail dresses. We'll be appropriate..but just won't sparkle as much! :rolleyes:

I love people watching on formal nights. Everyone looks terrific, and it's very interesting to see how couples have coordinated their outfits. Although men don't have the variety of choices as women .. I am amazed at how many different styles of tux and dinner jackets there are, not to mention accessories.

The CC group we met last November on the Volendam had a group photo taken on the last formal night .. It's a keeper .. everyone looks fantastic ...such a great memory!

Peggy Sue

[quote name='Aussie Gal']Girls,

I have one question from an aussie on the other side of the world. What is a "tea length" dress.

We have cocktail dresses, calf length skirts/dresses and ankle length dresses/skirts but we haven't heard the word "tea length" before. Please put me out of my misery.

Jennie[/QUOTE]

Hi, Aussie Gal -

What we call a "tea length" dress would be comparable to what you know as a "calf length" dress... the hem usually falls between the knee and the ankle - about mid-shin.

Best Regards,

Thanks Stormy for filling me in. Believe it or not I have just taken a beautiful black dress which was that length down to my alteration lady to be shortened to be just on the knee. I prefer that length than half way down my leg which is neither cocktail length nor long. Each to their own! :) ;)

Jennie

I just adore wearing my wonderful gowns!! With Chimera in his tux and me in my gown it is a romantic fantasy come true. I choose my gowns carefully and my jewelry and shoes, especially my shoes, no spikey high heels for me, I have had surgery and need to be really careful. I have a different gown for each evening and bring an extra in case my mood calls for a different gown.

I have a variety of styles from classic, chiffon great for dancing wide skirted chiffon to sexy halter top or spagetti straps. One of my gowns was worn by Mary Louise Parker on an episode of The West Wing. I actually bought it before I saw it on TV. I have several black gowns, as well as beige gowns and one blue gown and one gold gown in rotation now. I am looking to buy another color for my next cruise, perhaps red. I have a Judith Leiber mindinaure that I carry. It goes with everything.

I just adore formal evenings. They are a highlight of my cruise.

Linda

[b][font=Garamond][size=5][color=black]The first night of Formal dress, I always get gussied up, long gown, comfy shoes, and hair done up! The second night formal it depends on my mood, if I'm tired I just do a fancy blouse with long skirt, otherwise its into gown #2 :)[/color][/size][/font][/b]

Was told by my Mother, who went to many tea dances in England before WW 2, that tea length gowns were just above a ladies ankles but since the 50's mid-calf length to ankle length is considered 'correct'....Only ladies above 5'5" sld wear those lengths however - if u are any shorter it makes u look as if u are standing in a hole.

Ha! You got me. :D DH will dress properly; it took some convincing but he finally agreed to leave the loin cloth at home as long as I let him take the Speedo. LOL! Only teasing!!!

Okay, I read all the posts and how weird is this: I looked at one of my gowns and it is "Jessica McClintock" (sp?) "for Gunne Sax". Not into clothes so had never heard of either of those people/companies. Just read about both of them here - then thought something sounded familiar so I checked.

I realize I am taking enough for FOUR formal nights...guess we will have to go Pinnacle more than once, goshdarnit :) I did obsess about the clothes, but I obsess over nearly every detail of a trip. (I'm more worried about the makeup and hair than the clothes, tho). I was ecstatic to find clothes that I liked (okay LOVED) that were appropriate, but somehow disappointed that I found them so quickly. So, I just kept finding them...and then the shoes to go with them... (They followed me home; I swear I didn't feed them. Or call them. I only carried them because they looked like they needed a hug. Please, can I keep them?)

[quote name='caribbean girl']What, Scrumpy, no loincloth or guayabera in your/partner's closet? I couldn't resist!!;)
I agree with your posting,,,it all depends. I don't think formal just means long gowns, though, if I feel like it, I will happily wear one. It's all about being tasteful, comfortable and relaxed. It sounds like people really obsess about what they wear... I choose what I like and go with it. It's supposed to be a fun undertaking, not an opportunity to tense up and/or pick apart other people's choices. Does anyone really do that on a trip? (rhetorical question here) Personally, I am too busy enjoying myself to waste time/energy on petty minutiae. Anyway, after the first glass of champagne, who cares about clothes anyhow?:p[/QUOTE]

What is a mindinaure? I googled it because I didn't have a clue. Nothing showed up, so I still don't know, LOL! Take pity and educate me, please! thanks!!!

[quote name='ryansmemom']... I have a Judith Leiber mindinaure that I carry. It goes with everything...Linda[/QUOTE]

Gerry, I have seen some very nice sequined and/or beaded flat sandals while I was out shopping (and shopping) the past few weeks. They are not medically orthopedic, but they are flat and comfortable - also saw some with a minimal, maybe 1-inch heel. So, they are out there right now if you're interested! I saw silver, bronze, and gold. Very pretty (shiny, sparkly) and me with no excuse to buy them!

We had a harpist at our wedding. She was dressed nicer than some of the guests! Hat's off to you for being a working musician, btw :) You chose a lovely instrument.

[quote name='CrabbyHarper']Gosh Laura! What a question! Scrumpy and Caribbean Girl have answered it pretty well for me, except that my sandals tend to be more orthopedic and less dressy. Most of my dresses that I wear when playing harp gigs are long - although not necessarily "formal"...Gerry[/QUOTE]

Archived