IF they are so popular?

IF afts are such a popular room why would there be 3 left on our ship?

Also, are they prone to sea sickness?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of aft room?

Thanks,

I am prone to seasickness and sailed in an aft cabin in January. With my normal precaution of Bonine everyday I was fine. We were sold on the aft (have two more booked back there) because of the privacy. It was so nice and quiet back there although it was a bit of a hike (benefit to me as you get more exercise).

They are more expensive which could be why there are some left. I'm surprised because on the two NCL cruises I've been on the afts are ususally booked first and seldom open up unless someone upgrades to a suite from their original booking.

And on the other hand, we tried the aft and didn't care for it.

Found privacy less because the people above you can look down into your balcony, even from the Lido deck.

Soot from the funnel, noise from the wake (prefer gentle lapping wave sounds) and too much sun without breeze.

We like our side balconies, but that is just our preference, lots of people are aft lovers.

TEHO Carole

Some people like afts, some don't. The big draw is the great view ...

Carnival Glory - April 2006 ...

Balcony-aftviewII.jpg

Carnival Pride - May 2004 ...

WakefromPride6260.jpg

Enchantment of the Seas - February 2012 ...

D2-2.jpg

Freedom of the Seas - June 2007 ...

Viewaft.jpg

zs-IMGP0324m.jpg

Also, because the cabin is at the end of the hall it tends to be quiet (no one goes running past). Of course for the same reason it is a long walk to get to where you want to go, which can be one of the disadvantages of an aft cabin ...

Enchantment of the Seas - February 2012 ...

D13-1.jpg

Being on the end of the ship, it can pitch (up and down movement of the ship) more than the middle of the ship. However, I have found that is the ship is rocking, the entire ship is rocking.

We are booked in an aft this November. Everything that has been mentioned is correct. Quiet, Soot, prop wash, distance to elevators, Sun & breeze, people looking down from other decks.

Now it is up to you to decide if it is a problem or not.

For us it has been:

Quiet... Yes no loud conversations in the hall (normally)

Soot... On occasion

Prop wash... Yes...I love the sound of the prop wash, I was once awakened when the prop wash mysteriously disappeared.

Distance to elevators... Can be a hike especially if you are heading to the front of the ship often.

Sun... Wife loves the sun...On occasions she can lay out on our balcony and not fight for a chair on the pool decks.

Breeze... there is air movement if there is a cross breeze from either side of the ship. You are only in the dead calm when heading directly into the wind. Even then there is always some air movement.

People looking down from other decks. Yup, and you can have a conversation with them and share stories. You can also look up at the moon and stars after sunset.

Views... yes 180 degrees on both sides of the ship as you are leaving port.

We prefer them when we can get them!!!:)

Weird that any are left this close to that cruise. There are only six aft-wrap cabins on the ship. When I booked an aft wrap on the Conquest over a year in advance, all were available. It wasn't long before they were all booked.

The aft-wraps are usually quite a premium over just a balcony cabin. Certainly not the most economical of choices. In the case of your 9/2 cruise..about a $500.00 premium. I figure I don't HAVE to go on a vacation and CERTAINLY don't have to go on a cruise...might as well get what I want instead of what will do. I usually don't like to just have "a" cabin...I want the cabin I want.

The aft-wrap is typically a roomier cabin than a standard balcony cabin. Ours was VERY roomy. Also...since you're at the end of the hall...virtually no sometimes loud hall traffic. I found the movement of the ship to be less aft than toward the bow(Stayed in two bow balconies). Wave noise when hitting swells is less as well. Of course the center of the ship is best for motion sickness prone folks.

The view while in port is great!

I've never had just a plain aft cabin but have a aft cabin booked on the NCL Star coming up in April!

We had the aft wrap----room was great-----but no sofa to sit on. What we didn't like was that the Balcony always had a lot of sun and really couldn't sit outside during the day, unless you really like the sun. It was very quiet and we liked that. only thing, the people next door could not close the cabin door without slaming it----all the time-----not so nice.

It was nice to have people over head, specially, if you got locked out of your cabin, by the room boy, the first time and a mal function the second time. It is funny, but it wasn't at the time. We will go to a reg Balcony next time----too much sun for us but the cabin was great-

We had the aft wrap----room was great-----but no sofa to sit on. What we didn't like was that the Balcony always had a lot of sun and really couldn't sit outside during the day, unless you really like the sun. It was very quiet and we liked that. only thing, the people next door could not close the cabin door without slaming it----all the time-----not so nice.

It was nice to have people over head, specially, if you got locked out of your cabin, by the room boy, the first time and a mal function the second time. It is funny, but it wasn't at the time. We will go to a reg Balcony next time----too much sun for us but the cabin was great-

:eek: That is my biggest fear lol......Have our first aft wrap coming up, all our other cabins have been porthole...have a feeling we will not be able to go back to not having a balcony :p

We haven't had an aft wrap, but have had a Premium balcony on the Pride. The one that we had had a larger room, and a larger balcony and was well worth the extra money. We had four in the room and it wasn't crowded at all. Plus the balcony had lots of room. This is something to consider if your ship offers it. Ours was 6279 near the elevators, aft.

Personally, we'd rather see where we're going instead of where we've been.

Forward facing balconies are very rare. So if you want a forward view you end up in an ocean view cabin. If you want a balcony then you end up with a side view or a rear view. That I know if, NCL and Princess have forward facing balconies. I was in one on NCL.

We haven't had an aft wrap, but have had a Premium balcony on the Pride. The one that we had had a larger room, and a larger balcony and was well worth the extra money. We had four in the room and it wasn't crowded at all. Plus the balcony had lots of room. This is something to consider if your ship offers it. Ours was 6279 near the elevators, aft.

All of the Spirit class premium balconies are on the starboard side of the ship. I do not believe that any other class of Carnival ship has any cabins that are similar in size without being a suite.

And on the other hand, we tried the aft and didn't care for it.

Found privacy less because the people above you can look down into your balcony, even from the Lido deck.

Soot from the funnel, noise from the wake (prefer gentle lapping wave sounds) and too much sun without breeze.

We like our side balconies, but that is just our preference, lots of people are aft lovers.

TEHO Carole

I'm with you, on all of the points you mentioned. Pluse some bozo is also droping "trash" from Lido, and it ends up on your balcony.

We Love our Aft Cabins.. and especially the Aft wrap!

Even after sailing in a GS (grand suite) we prefer the Aft! We are on the Glory in a few weeks. The Glory doesn't have suites on the back of the ship. But still opted for a 9A wrap...

We find it so relaxing!

: )

Archived