Luggage Bag---too big to use as carry-on?

Runners

I just bought a High Sierra piece of luggage. It measures 32” x 15” x 15.5”, it expands to 18”. I would like to use this as a carryon bag for our upcoming Princess cruise. Would anyone know if this bag would fit through the cruise port x-ray machine or would it be too big?

I just bought a High Sierra piece of luggage. It measures 32” x 15” x 15.5”, it expands to 18”. I would like to use this as a carryon bag for our upcoming Princess cruise. Would anyone know if this bag would fit through the cruise port x-ray machine or would it be too big?

A resounding NO. Nothing more than 25 or 26" will fit through that machine.

Check your airlines page but I think it may be too large.

Air Canada's is

Maximum size:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm

(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)

Wheels and handles included.

Maximum weight:

10 kg (22 lb)

Check your airlines page but I think it may be too large.

Air Canada's is

Maximum size:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm

(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)

Wheels and handles included.

Maximum weight:

10 kg (22 lb)

OP is referring to port; not airline.

I should add that I, for one, will be very happy when they start limiting the amount of carry on bags. Itr takes so long for people to get the bags up to the storage and in many cases their bags are too heavy to get down on thier own.

I'd be much happier if they charged for carrty n and not for checked.

I should add that I, for one, will be very happy when they start limiting the amount of carry on bags. Itr takes so long for people to get the bags up to the storage and in many cases their bags are too heavy to get down on thier own.

I'd be much happier if they charged for carrty n and not for checked.

Some airlines are already doing just that. Spirit started charging $45/bag for carryons about a year ago and people are paying it.

As Pia1913 stated, I am asking about cruiseport x-ray machine not airline x-ray machine.
The cruise port machine is about the same size as in airports. If it can fit through airport security, it'll fit through cruise port security. If it can't, it won't.

Tunnel size can vary on different machines; the one we have at the courthouse here is 21" wide by 14" high. But I know there are machines that go up to 29 inches wide and 21 inches high. Not sure what size the ports use, but I think they are on the smaller side and designed to fit airline carry on size bags. OP's bag is possibly too high at 15" unless it can be squished down a bit. The other dimensions seem fine.

Is the length of the bag 32" by any chance?

My mom who lives in CA. and traveled Princess out of San Pedro,CA. took a 25" bag through the scanner and just carried her own luggage onboard, not sure why she did, but she did.:confused: Maybe she wanted to start unpacking and enjoying the cruise?:)

I think the problem would be the width trying to get it through the port scanner.

Is the length of the bag 32" by any chance?

My mom who lives in CA. and traveled Princess out of San Pedro,CA. took a 25" bag through the scanner and just carried her own luggage onboard, not sure why she did, but she did.:confused: Maybe she wanted to start unpacking and enjoying the cruise?:)

I think the problem would be the width trying to get it through the port scanner.

Yes, the length is 32".

The maximum width for the port scanners is just around 32 " - maybe slightly larger. I just checked on out last trip in Florida as best I could using my bag pushed to one side & my outstretched hand as a measuring guide. If they would have let me use my camera I could have given you better measurement.

Archived