private tour co's

needabreakcanada

I have been scanning CC for suggested private tour company names for Ocho Rios Jamaica.

Here are some that I have found:

Peat Taylor

Know Jamaica - Marva Shaw

Phil Lafayette

Mark's Tours (this one I took off list as it didn't have a tour that intersted me)

Silly computer mouse - must be time for a clean - is wandering on its own!

What i meant to finish off with:

Has anyone used any of these companies personally?

How easy is it to personalize your own tour through them?

Which ones protected you from vendors?

Also this is a separate note:

If the tour operators take you to a place like Dunns River - are you supposed to tip the tour guide(s) you have while there?

txs

I used Marva Shaw in March, 2007.

Everything promised was delivered. I had a group of 9 people and we had a private tour guide and separate bus driver. Marva asked us (via email) what we wanted to do while in Jamaica and gave suggestions on what we could do. We did DRF, a tour of the countryside, then a beach (which left a lot to be desired), and then to a shopping area.

All in all, we got what we paid for and then some.

The tour guides at DRF weren't part of Marva's tour. We basically were shown the entrance to the park by Marva's guide, and then walked to the bottom and climbed back up with the help of a guide. We tipped the guide separately.

As well, we tipped both the driver and the tour guide after they spent all day with us and helped us enjoy Jamaica, all the time feeling very safe.

GP

Regarding "protection" from the vendors. I'm guessing you mean at the end of the climb at DRF...

From my research (in 2007), *no one* protects you, but you need to understand their culture a bit. If you look them in the eye and just say "no thanks," they will usually (not always) leave you alone and go on to the next person. However, if you ignore them and pretend they don't exist, that is considered disrespectful and that is my understanding of when they get mad.

It seemed to work pretty well for my group of 9 people, which included some pretty young children (5, 7, and up).

I never felt like we were in "danger" or anything. For the most part, these people understand that you have money, and they just want some of it. However, they also understand that if they cause trouble and/or if people are getting hurt, then the tourist $$$ will stop showing up.

Treat them with respect (they are human, too), and I'll bet respect will be returned to you, as well.

Not trying to preach, but just passing on info I read on these boards back in 2007 that helped me.

GP

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Oasis. While in Falmouth we booked a Dunn River tour with Yardie. Let me say you get more then that with these guys, they are the best.

Stepped off the ship and went to meeting area and found out that only us and another couple had a tour with them. So it was basically a private tour for a little over a $100 a couple. Did the falls, the driver tries to get you there before the mass of cruise ship tours arrive. Then afterwards will do whatever you want him to do. We requested a place for Jelly Coconut and some Jerk. Took us to a nice place to have the coconut and then another place for the jerk. After that was over took us up Shaw Hillside to very the Ocho Rios cruise dock.

I will say with no ship in Ocho that day, there was no aggresive vendors to be found. It was the most relaxing day in Jamaica I have ever experienced. Never touched, the only hasselling was with the Flea market vendors in Dunns falls, which once we left was nice.

Jamaica is a beautiful place that I had been to 5 times and always walked away saying never again. This time I got to experience the real Jamaica away from all the crazy vendors and it was without a doubt one of the most beautiful, peacefull places I have ever been.

After the going up the hill the driver took us back to Falmouth and explained the history of the island and showed us some interesting sites.

We got back to Falmouth with 2 hours to spare. So if you get the right Tour company and stay away from the Cruise Tours(mass cattle call). Jamaica is a jewel.

We've also done Marva Shaws company only we had her son Javia as our tour guide. He was fun and very informative. He took us to the Falls and showed us how to get past the "straw market" to where we would be waiting. He was wonderful and I really can't wait to contact Javia again when we're in Falmouth in March!

from the Oasis in Falmouth. Very enjoyable, gorgeous scenery. Recommended for a relaxing and visually enjoyable experience. No exertion, you don't get wet (maybe your feet). Winding river with mild current and a friendly guide/captain doing the work.

Happy to answer any questions.

We used Mark Morris (of Mark's Tours) last month while in Falmouth. I know you said you took him off the list, but I wanted to give my input. Mark was absolutely fantastic, there were only 2 of us on the tour and he easily could have canceled, but he didn't! It was very enjoyable, we pretty much got a private tour of the island! We went to Dunn's and then river tubing after that. Since there were only 2 of us we did join in with another group at the falls.

As for the vendors after the falls, yes they are quite pushy, but it wasn't so bad that we wouldn't go back again. It only takes saying no thank you - simply ignoring the vendors works wonders as well!

I wouldn't disregard Mark, I'm sure he would customize a tour for you if he could. He is very knowledgable and proud of his country. I wouldn't hesitate booking him again.

Our favorite is Kenny Salmon

He has been our guide/protector from vendors/ friend and entertainer!

We are going for a 5th time in 2 weeks! We don't go by ship

There is nothing he can't or won't do for you

Took us to his home, baked us breadfruit at home for our long car ride

Got us in to places that every day tours don't get to see!

his laughter is infectious!

1- 876- 384- 1371

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we're on the Oasis this September and travelling to Falmouth. We intend to use Marva as a private tour and were wondering where she picks you up? Is it inside the compound or outside the compound?

Another vote for Marva Shaw and Know Jamaica.

We did the Dunns River Falls, River Tubing, Fern Gully/city sightsee and beach time.

We loved it. Felt safe and comfy the entire time. Yes, we tipped our guides at Dunn's River Falls, as they were separate from the tour guides. They were very hands on, took photos etc. of us.

We also had a smaller group than the others. Wear your own water shoes. We left our things on our bus and they kept everything safe for us.

When we go back to O.R., I will certainly be booking with Marva's co. again.

Suggestions for Mont Bay? Thanks all...!!!

i have nothing on private tours for MoBay, but i did do the zip line through Chukka Park (The Original Canopy Tour) through the cruise line and it was by far my most favorite excursion and fave. zip line. AMAZING!

Archived