Halifax - Peggy's Cove advice needed!

I will be visiting Halifax this coming September. The cruise ship will be in port from noon to 9:00 pm.

The 3 things that are on my must-do list are Peggy's Cove, the Maritime Museum and a great lobster meal. I have read many comments about how crowded with tour buses Peggy's Cove can get. Most likely I will be renting a car. Given the hours that the ship will be in port, should I plan to do Peggy's Cove first and then the Maritime Museum? Or, reverse and do the museum first. How long will the drive from the pier to Peggy's Cove take?

What time will it be getting dark in the evening in late September? How late does the museum stay open? Where's the best place to get a great lobster meal?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give to an eastern Canada newbie!

You are lucky to be in port a bit later. However you will need to plan carefully.

I would see the Maritime Museum first and maybe a couple other things on the waterfront.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default.aspx

If it is a good day, going to Peggy's near sunset would be fabulous. I believe the sun will set before six, so you could be there at five or so. Then go down the road to Ryer's for lobster: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1629890

http://www.peggyscoveregion.com/peggys-cove-area-things-to-do-eat-lobster/

I have a map here which shows one way to go: It takes an hour or so to get there. https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Pier+21+National+Historic+Site,+Halifax,+NS&daddr=44.668,-63.77494+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.57005,-63.74192&sspn=0.248495,0.676346&geocode=Fd4iqQIdpA42_CEtqR9BI6Wc1Q%3BFWCUqQIdJN8y_CmdUt26JYtZSzHc6r-sz1rR1Q%3BFcnnpgIdIrIw_CnlsFTY6QJaSzFmhYBMEgaDaw&oq=peggy&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&t=m&z=11

So if you rent your car at about three and leave your lobster supper at about 7, you would have two hours to get back to the ship.

Check out this and other threads by using the search feature at the top of the page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1123125

I will be visiting Halifax this coming September. The cruise ship will be in port from noon to 9:00 pm.

The 3 things that are on my must-do list are Peggy's Cove, the Maritime Museum and a great lobster meal. I have read many comments about how crowded with tour buses Peggy's Cove can get. Most likely I will be renting a car. Given the hours that the ship will be in port, should I plan to do Peggy's Cove first and then the Maritime Museum? Or, reverse and do the museum first. How long will the drive from the pier to Peggy's Cove take?

What time will it be getting dark in the evening in late September? How late does the museum stay open? Where's the best place to get a great lobster meal?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give to an eastern Canada newbie!

Take the shore road from Halifax and you will be in Prggy's Cove in a little more than an hour. After that go onto Lunenburg which is a beautiful little UNESCO town. Right on the waterfront is the Fish Market Restaurant. It has wonderful seafood.....Digby scallops and Bay of Fundy Lobster. It is very easy driving.

Nova, look into this further. I truly respect the other poster's opinion but being only 58 miles from Halifax, Lunenburg is doable. There is a main highway that you can take one way which is about 45 minutes and then take the coastal road the other way. Peggy's Cove is lovely but I would hate for you to miss Lunenburg and the Fish Market. I have vacationed over there many summers and know you would love it.:)

If I were doing this I would do Peggy's Cove first for the simple reason it is far away and then you can relax with your time with the marinetime museum and Lobster meal both of which are close to the ship. Although the thought of sunset at Peggy's cove is really appealing, I would be more relaxed to do it first. Exploring a town as a cruise ship stop is so different then a regular vacation in that respect.

I hate bus tours, but we really enjoyed our ships tour to peggy's cove. The narration on the way was wonderful. We were so glad we did it. We did on a half day one without a meal and then stopped by in one of the many nice restaurants in town for some awesome lobster rolls. Halifax is a wonderful city with many places to eat.

Have a great time!

My Canada New England Cruise Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282536

The thing is the OP's ship arrives at noon and leaves at nine at night. The Maritime Museum is not always open late. That is why I suggest they go there first. If they see Peggy's Cove near sunset and then eat lobster, it will be dark or nearly so and that is no time to be going to Lunenburg.

However, each visitor has to follow his/her own priorities.

The thing is the OP's ship arrives at noon and leaves at nine at night. The Maritime Museum is not always open late. That is why I suggest they go there first. If they see Peggy's Cove near sunset and then eat lobster, it will be dark or nearly so and that is no time to be going to Lunenburg.

However, each visitor has to follow his/her own priorities.

I agree...you want to see the beauty of Lunenburg during the day.

Where do you rent a car? Is there a rental car company within walking distance from the ship?

Thanks,

Carol

I am renting from National which I understand has an office at the rail station just across from the pier. I have heard that other companies will pick you up at the pier.

Maryann, correct me if I am wrong!

Don't have my confirmation on this computer, but unless I am mistaken, our rental in Halifax is through Enterprise and they will pick us up. If it isn't them, then it's Hertz and they are a 10 minute walk away from the ship.

Those port guides are awesome and so are you for posting about them. It's great that they are geared towards cruise passengers who only have hours, not days or weeks, to explore the area.

Don't have my confirmation on this computer, but unless I am mistaken, our rental in Halifax is through Enterprise and they will pick us up. If it isn't them, then it's Hertz and they are a 10 minute walk away from the ship.

Our reservation WAS with Hertz. Found out that it was closer to a 20 min walk so changed to Alamo. For what it is worth, Enterprise closes at 6pm (our ship doesnt depart until 9) so getting a ride back would be tough for us. Alamo will probably be closed when we return the car but at least it is only the five minute walk.

Thanks MaryAnn for saying something about the train station which made me recheck this. Now if you can just help me figure out whether to do Peggy's Cove or Lurenburg.

Only you can decide, but Lunenburg is further away and you have to be concerned about driving in the dark. I would go with Peggy's Cove, lobster, and the wonderful Halifax waterfront.

I know you will want to come back and spend much more time here.

Archived