If you owned a cruise line...

pyropoodle

just for fun... answer the ones you feel like answering because I am curious.

If you owned a cruise line....

1. What kind of customer loyalty plan would you have?

2. What ports would you absolutely NOT include on your itineraries? Why?

3. Would you have elegant nights on cruises? if so how many and how elegant? (i.e. formal wear or just a nice outfit)

4. What kind of entertainment would you provide?

5. Would you have different perks for people booking different room types i.e. insides vs. balconies vs. suites?

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? explain..

7. Would you listen to customer feedback? Would you reward people who gave feedback with some type of OBC?

8. Tipping? mandatory or at customer's discretion?...what would the tip breakdown be?

9. Anything extra you would like to add? I can't think of everything.

I'll answer some of these questions that are of particular interest to me.

1. I would somehow acknowledge loyalty beginning with a second cruise with perhaps a 'welcome back' party, a free trinket, etc. Perks would increase with points earned.

4. I think I would have a healthy mix of entertainment. Some passengers are really into entertaining themselves: karaoke, legends night, hairy chest, trivia, bean bag toss, dance lessons, etc. Others want to be entertained: interesting shows that change or rotate in a timely manner, comedians, concerts, lectures, etc.

5. Absolutely I would have a structured system for perks - on a points system (as opposed to days sailed). Those who spend more would earn more points. I have always felt that, as a solo cruiser paying double, I should receive double 'points'. Additionally, those traveling in higher priced balconies should receive more points than those in an inside cabin. Ditto for suites - perhaps 1-1/2 points for a balcony and 2 points for a suite (this could easily be worked out to be fair to all categories - I'm not afraid of fractions!). Then I would throw in extra points for money spent on board - maybe something like a half point for every $250 (that would require a little more thought). Anyway, points - not number of cruises or days sailed would be, in my opinion, a much more fair way to award perks.

7. I absolutely would pay attention to customer feedback - because I want to be successful. I want my customers to keep coming back, especially my big spenders and, if they can think of things that will make them happy and not bruise my bottom line, then I would be all ears!

Please note that this didn't take me 3-1/2 years to conceive...

Not sure on this one. I've only cruised twice so far.

I wouldn't count anything totally out.

3. Would you have elegant nights on cruises? if so how many and how elegant? (i.e. formal wear or just a nice outfit)
None on 4 days or less. 1-3 on longer cruises, depending on length of cruise. Would offer a free cocktail for every dinner guest that dressed up and showed up.

A lot of the same as they now have but would DEFINITELY bring back the band playing Caribbean music on the Lido.

5. Would you have different perks for people booking different room types i.e. insides vs. balconies vs. suites?
No.

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? explain.. A
bit of both....get what you pay for. Kind of like it is now, pay more get a better room. Pay more to eat the speciality rest. I would also offer an "all you can drink" alcohol card so that it would similar to an AI if you so desire.

7. Would you listen to customer feedback? Would you reward people who gave feedback with some type of OBC?

Of course. To be successful you have to listen to your customers! The only reward would be being heard. Rewarding feedback could be asking for dishonest feedback IMO.

8. Tipping? mandatory or at customer's discretion?...what would the tip breakdown be?
I would change it to a mandatory "service charge" included in the up-front price. You would not have the choice of removing it. If you had horrific service you would have to file a formal complaint which would be considered and issued a refund at a later date if it was warranted.

I
would allow smoking in the CIGAR bar.....never heard anything as ridiculous as a non-smoking cigar bar....

1. What kind of customer loyalty plan would you have? My loyalty program would be based on type of cabin purchased. A 7 day in an inside cabin is not the same as 7 days in a suite.

3. Would you have elegant nights on cruises? if so how many and how elegant? (i.e. formal wear or just a nice outfit) Only one formal night but it would not be madatory. Come as you want just no shorts and tank tops.

4. What kind of entertainment would you provide? Comedy, bands, dancing. One big show 4 days or less and two shows for over 4 days

5. Would you have different perks for people booking different room types i.e. insides vs. balconies vs. suites? Free wifi after 5 cruises no matter what cat. No cost to the company.

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? Best bang for the buck.

7. Would you listen to customer feedback? Would you reward people who gave feedback with some type of OBC? Listen yes, reward no

8. Tipping? mandatory or at customer's discretion?...what would the tip breakdown be? Madatory...too many bust there butt on a cruise and too many people would stiff them.

My replies to your questions

I really like the point system idea, as opposed to # of cruises sailed. that might be difficult to figure out though, especially since not everyone who sails will be buying things. I'm thinking here of children or a spouse. What if all the credit goes towards only the person who makes the payments. I can see how this could get hairy, so the next best thing is probably the days at sea.

the free coctail for dressing for elegant dinner night is a nice idea too. That would be easy for the waiter to discern and people who aren't dressed up would be none the wiser. Even your best effort at dressing up should qualify, but no shorts and flip flops in the MDR . imagine how much that would cost your cruise line if 2,000 people dressed for dinner that evening. Hopefully, the cruisers would be so grateful they'd buy another round and effectively pay for the first one.

and i 1000% like the idea of just lumping the tips in as service charges and paying that upfront. since it's taken anyway (unless you reverse it) it would just be part of the cruise that you budget for. I don't know why Carnival just doesn't do this already.

I would do all the things people on this board want and charge a lot more, half of the cruises would be smoke free but cost more, chairs in the sun cost more near the pool even more, shrimp more etc

1. What kind of customer loyalty plan would you have? Like the airlines base it on miles cruised. You would earn more on an Eastern Caribbean cruise than a Bahamas cruise.

2. What ports would you absolutely NOT include on your itineraries? Why?Nassau. Been there done that 5 times.

3. Would you have elegant nights on cruises? if so how many and how elegant? (i.e. formal wear or just a nice outfit) just a nice outfit would do.

4. What kind of entertainment would you provide? Big name comedy or musical acts maybe even with a cover charge to cover the artists fee.

5. Would you have different perks for people booking different room types i.e. insides vs. balconies vs. suites? Base it on miles cruised and dollars spent.

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? explain.. value so more repeat business.

7. Would you listen to customer feedback? Would you reward people who gave feedback with some type of OBC? Yes if it was called for based on the situation.

8. Tipping? mandatory or at customer's discretion?...what would the tip breakdown be? Mandatory just like the current breakdown it would be prepaid and only removed if we could not work out your problem.

Would like to see more water park type attractions and have enough of them for sea days.

If I had my own cruise line I would make sure that my employees were payed a fair wage and tipping would therefore be at the passenger's discretion.

I would have perks for loyalty but all the sign and sail colors would be the same so that except for the perks themselves, there would be no distinction between passengers in suites or passengers in inside cabins. My employees would be expected to treat every passenger with equal respect and courtesy!

I would have people in place to keep under aged people out of the hot tubs and Serenity area and to strictly enforce the no chair-hogging and no smoking rules.

I would have a piano bar for non-smokers and a nice-sized, combo piano/wine/cigar bar for smokers. There would be a small-sized, designated area on each deck of the ship with chairs, sofas, and small tables for smokers. It would be roped off and no smoking on the rest of the outside decks would be enforced. Non-smokers could mingle with smokers in the smoking area if they so wished and smokers could of course mingle with non-smokers on all designated non-smoking areas of the ship if they so wished as long as they don't smoke.

There would be a family only pool (no age limit for adults, no babies or kids that aren't toilet trained allowed), a youth only pool (7-11) a tweener only pool (12-14), a teen's only pool (15-17), and an adults only pool (18 on up). There would be two hot tubs alongside each pool.

Age limits in the kids and teen clubs would be flexible (especially in the case of siblings or friends who are traveling together).

There would be a party for past guests open to whatever guests were traveling with them with free snacks and drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. There would be no farewell party with free drinks.

There would be two themed night parties with free snacks and drinks, but no free alcoholic drinks or free sodas, two mid-night buffets and one major gourmet chocolate buffet on all 7-night cruises.

There would be a small fridge in every room. Filled ice buckets would be mandatory in every cabin and passengers would not have to ask to have them refilled as the cabin stewards would check the status of the bucket each time they entered the cabin.

Shower curtains in all cabins would have weights sewn into the hem on the bottom so as not to blow inside the shower stall. There would be a basket of upscale freebies in every cabin and plenty of shelf space. There would also be an extra hook in each bathroom for the hanging of the "shoe thingy."

I have to go now, but I'll be back with more good stuff for my ship!:D

1. Number of days at sea; possibly some reward for the upper tier cabins. Would need to think about that.

2. None

3. Depends on the length of the cruise. At least one.

4. Music, comedy, dancers, magic.

5. No, no different perks for different cabins.

6. Value

7. Perhaps a coupon for one free drink per review card turned in, and it would require proof the person was actually on the ship they are claiming, and only one card can be turned in per cruise.

8. Discretionary tipping, but automatically charged unless the person is not happy, then they can have it eliminated. Tips removed would automatically disqualify person from getting one free drink coupon for doing the review card.

another question....how would you handle the chair hogs????

No problem....No Chairs = No Hogs. Standup , laydown or just stay in your cabins..lol

And folding chairs in MDR.

No frills cruises with no perks. We won't get repeat cruisers so no reason to be nice. :rolleyes:

1. What kind of customer loyalty plan would you have? None. You pay for the cruise itself.

2. What ports would you absolutely NOT include on your itineraries? Why? Nassau & Freeport.....crappiest ports I've ever seen.

3. Would you have elegant nights on cruises? if so how many and how elegant? (i.e. formal wear or just a nice outfit) Yes. Suit and tie required. Go to the buffet if you're wearing less. Also, doors close 15 minutes after dinner start. Again, go to the buffet if you can't be on time.

4. What kind of entertainment would you provide? Bands, stage performances, more variety of music in the clubs and bars. Add a country music bar!

5. Would you have different perks for people booking different room types i.e. insides vs. balconies vs. suites? Nope, the cabin you choose is the perk.

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? explain.. Value, in this economy, fewer people can afford Crystal type cruising.

7. Would you listen to customer feedback? Would you reward people who gave feedback with some type of OBC? Always listen to feedback. Implement those that you agree with and do not interfere with your core values. Free money, nope, back to the value issue. Don't need to pay people for their thoughts but will gladly listen to them.

8. Tipping? mandatory or at customer's discretion?...what would the tip breakdown be? Wouldn't be called tipping, it would be a service charge and is mandatory.

9. Anything extra you would like to add? I can't think of everything. No chogging, attempted smuggling causes forfeiture of cruise with no refund (for the person attempting to smuggle, other party members can board if they so choose), $5 per person, per minute late charge in port for pier runners paid prior to boarding via S&S card.

I would run it much as it is now. Most people here are answering with what changes they as customers would like to see. Thus answering the question 'If you owned a cruise line and had unlimited funds to plug into it each year to cover losses how would you run it?'

If you owned a cruise line.... For the purpose of this post, let's call it Landlocked Cruise Line or LCL.

I'd use a formula, to determine the number of points to give to passengers per cruise. TP = L * C + P + S, where L is length of cruise, C is cabin type (better cabin means higher number), P is purchase bonus that gives extra points for onboard purchases at certain levels (this includes shore excursions), and S is solo bonus in a small amount to give solos a bit of an incentive; TP is total points.

No ports I'd specifically exclude, except countries that have political instability or high violent crime rates.

Yes, 1 elegant night for every 5 days of cruise length. The dress code would be a minimum of dressy shirt with a tie for men, and the equivalent for women (sorry, don't know it exactly).

I'd have entertainment similar to what Carnival has now. For the shows, I'd have a combination of vaudeville-like dance shows and comedy skits. For clubs, it'd be different music in different venues. For stand-up comedy, not a big fan of the humor they use sometimes, but I'd have it because there's a demand for it. No comedy brunch, though; heckling and food don't mix.

Only minimally, like in the formula above. The nice thing about a cruise is that it's a great equalizer of sorts, where everybody enjoy the same things because they're a passenger, with the only distinction being cabin types. Providing different perks to different cabins smacks of class separation in Titanic's days.

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? explain.

It would lean more toward value. Not many people can afford luxurious cruises nowadays, and besides, luxury = quiet. My focus would be on the atmosphere, to create a relaxed, non-pretentious environment, rather than building a giant shopping mall or a snotty fashion show.

Yes, and I'd harness the ship's internet cafe for that. Passengers would enter their ship card number and feedback on the corporate website. When they're done, they'd get a drink coupon as a reward for their opinion. Non-drinkers would be able to get an LCL-branded item of a similar value or cash it in for OBC.

A bit of both. The standard tips would be built into the cruise price and listed as such. Passengers, however, would have the option of disputing the tips with the guest services. Corporate would review the complaint, then if approved, mail a check.

Can't think of everything, either, so not sure.

I would try to get the cheapest prices I could

on that expensive blue anti-fouling paint used on my hulls

to cut down on moss,

to cut down on drag

to cut down on fuel consumption...

try to buy it by the 40-foot-contaner load.

Since I already have more money than Mr.Microsoft

I would buy a chain of oil refineries to supply fuel a bit cheaper.

Fuel Surcharge: $1 per person per day. Bearable.

It may not cover the true cost, but it'll help my bean-counters to stop endlessly crabbing. :cool:

I would continue to source labor out of South-Asian countries.

I would cut down on photographers, and thus on their board and lodging expenses

cut down on print-wastage,

eliminate entirely the idiot art auctions -thus saving on their wasted space too ;)

Less buffet, more dining rooms.

Why?

Food wastage a la buffet is way more than food wastage a la carte.

You want souvenir pins, per ship? They're $3 each, please.

I would have 1 or 2 officers in white uniforms

enforce the 30 min. anti-chair-hogging rule. End that problem right now.

The Big Screen On Lido would be turned off around 2 a.m.(as long as no-one is watching)

and not turned on again until just after nightfall.

You can't see the stupid thing during daylight hours, any way!

Not quite sure but I could do without any extra benefits and just receive small discounts after so many cruises or something. After 5 cruises maybe get 5% off (not a lot but it's something). After 10, 10% off, After 25, 25% off and leave it at that.

Maybe not even give discounts on the tickets but you just get it back in on-board credit.

Grand Turk... I've heard others say how much they love Grand Turk, etc, but (maybe because it was my first cruise and it was the first port?) I was just really disappointed. I didn't do much research beyond looking at pictures of the beaches and such and I just didn't expect it to be so poor and dirty. It didn't BOTHER me, just was a downer because it wasn't what I expected. That said, we did have a fun time still and have some good (laughable) memories from our day there.

None would be mandatory but it would be encouraged at least one night for pictures and such. Just my preference because I hate dressing up but I still like the pictures they take of me when I'm dressed up so I purchase them sometimes!

Probably just live bands and comedy shows. I like the production shows and musicals but I could live without them and people seem to really enjoy listening to live bands by the pool and such. I -love- going to the comedy shows.

Nothing besides the perks that come in the rooms.

6. Would your cruise line lean more towards value or opulence? explain..

Value. I have thought about it and asked a few people I cruise with if they would go on a cruise that skipped the MDR's and elegant dining and ONLY had a (or multiple) buffet, if it was cheaper. I know I would as long as the food was still pretty good. I love the sit down dinners but if it would save me $100 p/p to just eat at the buffets I could see myself doing that because the buffet food is still pretty good.

Yes and yes.

I have read a bit into how CCL's is divided and that seems pretty fair.

you guys really have some great ideas, some of which i'm kinda confused as to why they are not already implemeted already....and this....

I would cut down on photographers, and thus on their board and lodging expenses

cut down on print-wastage,

brilliant. I actually don't know why they just don't have the pics taken digitally instead of printed anyway. if you put in a kiosk, see a print you like, you should be able to print it out at the kiosk and apply the cost to your sail and sign card...a different fee depending on which size photo you print out. I don't know why they really don't do this already. it would save $$$$$$$$ and lots of it.

Age limits in the kids and teen clubs would be flexible (especially in the case of siblings or friends who are traveling together).
I don't have kids (yet) but this is something I've never thought of. I bet it is a pain in the rear if you have 2 kids who are just a year apart and they can't break that rule so they can stay together. flexibility would be great thing.

And folding chairs in MDR.
i wouldn't want to be on your cruise line :eek:

No comedy brunch, though; heckling and food don't mix.

i had no idea there was a such a thing as a comedy brunch. how did i miss out on that?

i had no idea there was a such a thing as a comedy brunch. how did i miss out on that?

It's a new thing on Carnival, only on some of their newer, bigger ships. It's on sea days only. You eat brunch in the MDR, and a comedian walks around, tells jokes, and picks on people. There's a special brunch menu with humorous item descriptions. Check it out:

Description: http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/punchliner-comedy-brunch.aspx

Menu: http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/PunchlinerBrunchMenupdf.ashx

I, personally, think the idea is stupid. One, heckling and food don't mix. Two, it's ill-timed; I'd get some enjoyment out of that type humor at night when I've had a couple of Fun Ships and a Thirsty Frog, but morning to early afternoon isn't the time for it. Three, I don't think there's a choice to have a regular breakfast or lunch instead; it's either comedy brunch or being "exiled" to the Lido buffet. But if Carnival's marketing department decided there'll be a demand for it, oh well. Who knows, maybe it'll be nice. But based on they presented the marketing materials, not my thing.

wow, that does sound stupid. It's not something I would ever attend. I agree, the comedy shows are much better after a drink or 7, and I like that they are at night or later in the evening.

so weird.

The Comedy Brunch was introduced on the Miracle in April. It runs from 9-2:30 on sea days. They have a standard menu available each day (ie there is no true breakfast or lunch menu as there has been in the past). The comedian is on the hour for about 5-10 minutes.

Our party of 8 was stuck by a window at a table for 12 and we could not see the comedian at all. The food was different (Huevos Rancheros and real steak and eggs to name a few). Here is the menu

http://johnhealdsblog.com/menus/2012-04-13/Punchliner%20Brunch%20MenuL.pdf

wow, that does sound stupid. It's not something I would ever attend.

I agree, the comedy shows are much better after a drink or 7, and I like that they are at night or later in the evening.

so weird.

I can't think of anything more tacky ...more entirely inappropriate

more classless than a comedy brunch!

Who the hell dreamed/sorry..NIGHTMARED that one?

As much as I am a Carnival fanboy

I have to tell you that just one Comedy Brunch in the main dining room

would have me jumping ship to another line.

I would be royally pixxed-off if I found myself having to eat in the Lido Line because of THIS

and it would happen once only, on my last Carnival cruise. ;)

If Carnival wants to do this, it belongs up in the Lido restaurant

where the less-refined "dine" ..if you can call it that.

For God's sake try to class-UP the ships, not down! :cool:

The new Serenity area is an excellent example of making your ships more classy.

Comedy Brunch is the complete tacky opposite.

Which direction are you headed in??

The Comedy Brunch was introduced on the Miracle in April. It runs from 9-2:30 on sea days. They have a standard menu available each day (ie there is no true breakfast or lunch menu as there has been in the past). The comedian is on the hour for about 5-10 minutes.

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that. I suppose if I go to the dining room at HH:15 (where, HH is the hour) and finish within 45 minutes, I can enjoy their steak and eggs without bringing heckling into the equation. And if it's the comedian is just doing short skits, then the comedy brunch is something I can at least live with, or maybe even get a small kick out of. Based on the description, I got the idea that he'd be doing his act non-stop for hours with a heaping dose of heckling, like with the nighttime show. In which case, I'd just go the Lido buffet; their lunch food is pretty good.

Having said all that, it's still a bad idea. Having it in the Lido buffet is better, since comedy goes better with the casual atmosphere off the Lido, rather than the (somewhat) elegant atmosphere of the MDR. It'll take little effort to set up a speaker in an empty corner of the buffet and clip on a microphone to the comedian's shirt collar.

Archived