Capilano Suspension Bridge, Vancouver

cruznliz

We are arriving in Vancouver on a Thursday night before a Saturday cruise and we are thinking of doing Capilano Suspension Bridge most of the day on Friday. Sounds gorgeous! Has anyone done it? Is the free shuttle from Canada Place a good idea?

Does it take all day to see everything? Is it crowded (mid September)? Is it worth the admission? Thanks for any help! (Sorry if this has been discussed before).

while I enjoy Capilano its worth the price however I think the better value is at Grouse Mtn assuming you can see the top of the mountain. Grouse once on top there is a movie, two different shows (lumberjack and birds of Prey), and the two grizzly b ears that live there. I think its a better value and there is a free shuttle from Canada Place. The shuttle will also drop you at Capilano if you want to do both.

Capilano you can probably spend 90 minutes or so, but grouse you could spend a lot longer.

The Capilano Suspension Bridge is an extremely popular tourist attraction. Yes, the free shuttle is a good plan however it is also very accessible by transit if you wish. To fill the day you would need to combine the trip with Grouse Mountain, however be aware that their shuttle only operates in fair weather....which brings up a point, if the weather is inclement you may want to think twice about going up the mountain. Other things to see between the bridge are the Capilano fish hatchery and the Cleveland dam....with the four of those attractions we are speaking about a full day.

We visited both (they are on the same bus route). However, we were a bit disappointed in Grouse. Many of the attractions at the top had closed early or were closed for maintenance. On top of that, quite a few of the areas and the restaurant were closed because they were getting it ready for a wedding. There was no sign at the ticket booth listing closures, and no reduction in the ticket price. I recommend checking ahead or at the ticket counter to make sure it's worth it to you.

Capilano was great; there is a catwalk system in the trees so you can see the forest canopy ecosystem close-up.

I recommend both as long as the weather is clear for Grouse.

We went to Grouse Mountain only briefly but spent most of our time at Capilano. It was overcast and cool but still a nice place to go. Definitely a tourist attraction. A little overpriced from our standpoint. When we go back next year, we will spend more time at Grouse Mountain if the weather holds up.

Just a note that if you want to save money but still enjoy walking on a spectacular suspension bridge over a void, you might consider Lynn Canyon park instead of Capilano. http://lynncanyon.ca/suspension-bridge.html

Prices: Capilano, $32.95, Lynn Canyon, $0.00.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a neat place. What's the easiest way to get there without a car? I think a cab would negate the free entry.

Lynn Canyon is quite accessible by transit...ok a little walking but not much. It is where locals go but will take guests to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, it is more tourist orientated. The Lynn Canyon Bridge really only consists of the bridge, some trails and an interpretive centre which may or may not be open. The Lynn Canyon bridge is the first one I crossed as a child and lived within minutes of both for over 50 years.

Thanks!

We certainly don't mind public transportation although just found a very resonable rental car for the day that will allow us to maximize our time in Vancouver for the one day precruise.

Visiting a more "locals" place fits the bill well for us.

Thanks!

We certainly don't mind public transportation although just found a very resonable rental car for the day that will allow us to maximize our time in Vancouver for the one day precruise.

Visiting a more "locals" place fits the bill well for us.

be warned that parking is quite evil in Metro Vancouver, being both expensive (typically $5/hr) and hard to find at times. The advantage of transit to the north shore (Grouse/Capilano/Lynn Canyon) is that it's on a ferry called Seabus, which avoids the congestion on the bridges

The ferry would be nice. We enjoy taking the Alki shuttle and Bainbridge ferry in Seattle just to get out on the water and enjoy the views. We will certainly consider it in Vancouver. The car rental is only $43 for the day. We wouldn’t be spending much time in the metro area other than stopping at Safeway for supplies. We have some planning to do.

Here's a short video and my blog entry of crossing the Lynn canyon suspension bridge

http://yvrcruiser.blogspot.ca/search?q=lynn+canyon.

Enjoy

Cheers

Dennis

Certainly one of the best blogs I've read. Thanks for posting this. You've given me some ideas on other hikes that look interesting too. Just need to find the time.

Archived