Carnival Loyal Moving to Royal

^^^^

The food is alot better on RCl and has many more items to choose from.

If anything between the two lines, this is the one line that I find very interesting!

The food......from the first time my DW set foot on a Carnival ship......has been better than on Royal Caribbean.

I have a friend that just got off of the Allure, and the food there was so bad..........that her whole family was looking forward to days on shore....so they could get something that was edible!

However, if they could have eaten in Chops every night, all would have been good......it was just the MDR, or the "free food", and I have to say that she sent me pictures, and I have to attest to her knowledge of the food served.

That is certainly not the case for every Royal Caribbean ship, and I feel so sorry for the whole family for that experience.........however, they were served escargot..........which, on the ships that I sail, I cannot get anymore, and would have traded the whole dinner for another plate of escargot!!:D

As far as the children's programs go.........and here again, I have 2 grandchildren, and at the time that they were aboard the Monarch of the Seas, out of Los Angeles, their parents had a hard time trying to pry them from the kids program, just to get them to bed. And it was not that they had a small cabin, they had an OS.........but they loved the program that they were in.

There are all kinds of members here on CC, and some will tell you that the biggest ships are the best! We love the Radiance class, but we are old farts, and hardly know how much fun it would be to try to enjoy 6300 people on one of their mega ships.

As a Pinnacle Club member........one that has over 100 cruises.......there has to be a reason that we have stayed with Royal Caribbean.....for so many years.

And, we have travelled on CCL, Holland America, Princess, MSC, and a few others that have disappeared over the years!:)

Rick

If anything between the two lines, this is the one line that I find very interesting!

The food......from the first time my DW set foot on a Carnival ship......has been better than on Royal Caribbean.

I have a friend that just got off of the Allure, and the food there was so bad..........that her whole family was looking forward to days on shore....so they could get something that was edible!

However, if they could have eaten in Chops every night, all would have been good......it was just the MDR, or the "free food", and I have to say that she sent me pictures, and I have to attest to her knowledge of the food served.

That is certainly not the case for every Royal Caribbean ship, and I feel so sorry for the whole family for that experience.........however, they were served escargot..........which, on the ships that I sail, I cannot get anymore, and would have traded the whole dinner for another plate of escargot!!:D

As far as the children's programs go.........and here again, I have 2 grandchildren, and at the time that they were aboard the Monarch of the Seas, out of Los Angeles, their parents had a hard time trying to pry them from the kids program, just to get them to bed. And it was not that they had a small cabin, they had an OS.........but they loved the program that they were in.

There are all kinds of members here on CC, and some will tell you that the biggest ships are the best! We love the Radiance class, but we are old farts, and hardly know how much fun it would be to try to enjoy 6300 people on one of their mega ships.

As a Pinnacle Club member........one that has over 100 cruises.......there has to be a reason that we have stayed with Royal Caribbean.....for so many years.

And, we have travelled on CCL, Holland America, Princess, MSC, and a few others that have disappeared over the years!:)

Rick

I would tend to agree with your DW. I like Carnival's MDR food slightly better than RCI, but not enough to be an issue. However, I like Carnival's steakhouses a lot more than Chops.

I am thinking of booking IOS and cancel my Breeze for March 2013. Two things I will miss on Carnival is robe in every stateroom and self service laundry. We like to pack light since we have to travel from California to MIA to cruise.

Price wise...IOS was cheaper than the Breeze they are both 8 days cruise.

Originally Posted by kaykels viewpost.gif

>>>after cruising RCCL you won't want to do Carnival again. Its like going from a Chevy to a Lexus depending on which ship you are sailing.

I have never had a cruise I didn't enjoy. I had fun on Carnival. But Royal is just better. Not stuffy, just imagine a 3 star hotel, then moving to a 5 star.<<<<

This will be my first cruise on Royal and I very nervous about it. So far, everything I have been reading not impressed and seeing lots of complaints. I keep hearing Carnival has way better food (all I have been seeing is complaints on food on Royal). No lobster, no signature desert, cold food on the buffets, No bathrobes, no little gift baskets in bathroom, room services is not free 24/7, smaller cabins with beds being very uncomfortable, prices were higher. There are a lot of little touches Carnival adds that Royal does not but I am keeping a positive attitude and hoping for great time.

This will be my first cruise on Royal and I very nervous about it. So far, everything I have been reading not impressed and seeing lots of complaints. I keep hearing Carnival has way better food (all I have been seeing is complaints on food on Royal). No lobster, no signature desert, cold food on the buffets, No bathrobes, no little gift baskets in bathroom, room services is not free 24/7, smaller cabins with beds being very uncomfortable, prices were higher. There are a lot of little touches Carnival adds that Royal does not but I am keeping a positive attitude and hoping for great time.

Any cruise is what you make of it but don't expect to be wowed on an older ship that is scheduled to leave the fleet. Monarch has very small cabins but not too bad for 2 people. As far as food, that is very subjective, don't let a couple of posters put you off. Stay positive and I bet you will have a good time.

I just got off of Carnival Ecstasy. The food was fine. But if you are looking for more selections and variety, RCI has always had more in my and DW opinion. She is a little pickier than me and no complaints about the quality on CCl, she just noticed more items.The wait staff on RCI was exceptional in the MDR. We were always pampered and if we didnt like something, we were always treated w/ something else. No questions asked!!

We have decided that went we go alone, we will prolly go RCI.

With kids, we will go CCL because if the kids can stay out all night and of course, free PIZZA!!!

We dont really care about bathrobes in the room and for as little touches, I never saw any and actually noticed less on this sailing.

Cabin size didnt seem any different to us other than the shower was bigger on CCL. Big deal! Your only in there to shower anyway.

We also noticed that on the Freedom of the Seas, they had a curfew for the kids, which we liked alot. No loud teenagers running and yelling down the halls at 3:00 AM!!!

Which ship are you going on? We went on the smaller ships and still prefer Royal. Don't be nervous about it. As most people know, it's what you make of it!!!

P.S. SportsFanatic.... if you can stand pushy servers on the Lido deck, then have at it!! LOL

Just noticed that you are going on the Monarch. We had a great time!!

Any cruise is what you make of it but don't expect to be wowed on an older ship that is scheduled to leave the fleet. Monarch has very small cabins but not too bad for 2 people. As far as food, that is very subjective, don't let a couple of posters put you off. Stay positive and I bet you will have a good time.

Is the MOS and Majesty scheduled to leave?? I've noticed they aren't scheduled to have upgrades to them...

Is the MOS and Majesty scheduled to leave?? I've noticed they aren't scheduled to have upgrades to them...

Monarch is leaving early next year and is being replaced in Port Canaveral by the Enchantment.

As far as Majesty, I am not sure if they have announced anything yet.

The biggest difference DH and I saw immediately walking on board was the ship decor. Think way more elegant than Carnival. Marble, brass, wood, glass versus loud color, plastic, and neon. Just very nice and well kept up for the most part. Some say the MDR food is better on Carnival. But food is subjective. I think the layout of the Windjammer is better than the Lido and has better food. I thought the employees were more friendly. Both target the same demographic so you shouldn't expect a big difference in passengers. The past guest program is way better on RCCL. We just thought RCCL was a better "fit" for us. You may come away not liking it. There is a cruiseline out there for everyone.

There is lobster but not on the 3/4 day trips. RCCL does have a hot chocolate cake. Room service only gets charged when you order after a certain hour (midnight?). I thought the beds were fine. Prices are higher but they seem to be able to keep filling their ships. Don't worry. I think you will be pleased.

The Monarch and Majesty are the oldest ships and do have smaller rooms. From what I have read they are well maintained.

Archived