Carnival Loyal Moving to Royal

after cruising RCCL you won't want to do Carnival again. Its like going from a Chevy to a Lexus depending on which ship you are sailing.

I have never had a cruise I didn't enjoy. I had fun on Carnival. But Royal is just better. Not stuffy, just imagine a 3 star hotel, then moving to a 5 star.

We have often said it was like going from a Yugo to a Rolls Royce! :eek:

The Carnival cruise we went on was just ok (it was free, so I didnt feel ripped off) but every Royal cruise we have been on has really been AWESOME! We loved Navigator and I know you will too! :D

It is not stuffy at all... if it was, my hubby would not have agreed to any more cruises past the first. He is a redneck (not extreme, but likes to hunt and wear camo... a LOT) and does not do stuffy well!

I think our biggest problem was that we went from Royal to Carnival and not the other way around. My hubby says that Carnival to him felt like KMart and a cheesy 70s Vegas hotel had a baby... weird I know, but it captures the feeling! :D

As for stuffy, no way. RCI ships are not stuffy at all. In fact, with the live calypso pool band, night pool parties, and live entertainment on board, you might just find it to be a "fun" ship. ;)

Definitely agree! You won't find Royal any more "stuffy" than Carnival (translation: it's not stuffy :D).

Welcome! We tried RCI after lots of exclusive sailing on Carnival some years ago and were really happy that we did. Hopefully you'll have the same experience!

IMO there is no where near that much difference between any of the mass market lines...RCI is certainly not a Lexus if Carnival is a Chevy...again, IMO.

All things being equal, I'd pick RCI over Carnival always - but there are too many variables. So much depends on the ship, itinerary, and price. I'd relate Carnival vs RCI to more like different trim lines of the same make of car - it's still a Chevy, but perhaps the RCI "trim" has more features and a nicer overall experience than the more stripped-down "trim" of Carnival.

Neither offer the level of service that a Lexus (or a luxury cruise line) does - that's one thing you pay for with the luxury lines. btw, we were just in a Lexus car dealership yesterday - I was impressed; much nicer than Acura dealerships. lol

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is Navigator of the Seas, out of New Orleans next March. The price is almost exactly the same as Carnival, which I never see. To clarify, price and home port is what usually puts me on Carnival. I have looked at Royal in the past, though not lately because last I looked, they were always significantly higher for similar iteneraries.

NCL is also similar, but their kid program looked like a dud, for my kids, at least until the younger one turns 13. He'd be 12 for that sailing and would not be amused at being lumped in with the "kids". On CCL, he's in with 12-14. You have to forgive him for being the youngest of 3 boys and thinking he's a big boy too.

I asked about "stuffy" because the first post I read on here was one about people on this board being rude to posters. I personally don't care who says what on a message board full of strangers, but I DO like a really friendly atmosphere when I cruise.

Anyway, still trolling for info. Whether or not I think my kids will have fun is the real deal sealer. I'm anxiously watching that price to make sure it doesn't go up while I"m deciding.

Dont worry about stuffy people on the boards- they make up a tiny portion of the people who actually sail and spend much of their time boozing in lounges where you aren't welcome anyway, so toss out those and just go for what's actually helpful! When you get onboard you will mostly experience other active families and adults like yourselves!

We love NOS and there is so much for kids to do on that class of ship. There is the Royal Promenade which is fun, and the ice rink as well as the usual stuff in the sports area like rock walls, and sports courts. Have fun and don't let the negative stuff rule the day!

I've never been on a RCI cruise before, but have been on a few Carnival ones. I'm really looking at other cruiselines at the moment and found a great deal on a Royal cruise that I'm thinking I want to book for me and my 3 teen-age boys. Tell me what to expect. I REALLY like the casual atmosphere of Carnival. Is it "stuffy" on Royal? Is there good night life? Do people dress up more? How are their kids programs? Plenty to keep kids busy on an older Royal ship?

Any and all input is most appreciated.

We have been on 6 Carnival and 1 RCCL (with The Oasis planned for June 2013). We were on the Voyager OTS out of Galveston. We have stayed with Carnival because they are year around in Galveston and we live in Houston. We decided to make the change to RCCL because of the ships. They are the destination in themselves and we are so excited about the Oasis.

The entertainment is far better on RCCL You will also find the people and dress is about the same. I did not see a big difference in behavior at all.

Food: We both thought the MDR food was better on Carnival but RCCL has more options and very reasonably priced specialty places to eat. Not so crowded. The two main buffets are about the same.

Room size is about the same but we always get a balcony, don't know what you are used to.

Try RCCL I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I can't really answer your questions, other than that my friends' kids (elementary school age) would eather be in the youth programs than with their parents. This is a great time for you to book, with the WOW sale starting. Carnival seems to have annoyed a lot of folks with their new program, and I will say, it is certainly not going to lure me over there. We are thinking of trying Princess, however, I've heard good things.

Thank you all so much for your input. You guys have really helped me a lot and my kids are excited about this one! They're all about the sports courts and teen-age hangouts. I am all about finding something fun for me to do once they abandon me for their new friends. It sounds like we're all going to be really happy on this cruise!

:DWells said Paul!

I have found the main difference in the two lines to be the ships themselves and they way they are run. RCCL-better designed ship and layout, more sophistocated decor and entertainment (you will love love love the skating rink and ice show!!) Do not miss that! And the kids can try ice skating free(take socks) I found more care for the ship to be evident on RCCL. We found Carnival ship we were on to be very run down and neglected. Most other things are similar, but those were enough to turn us off Carnival. JMHO.

Also, you are required to wear long pants when ice skating and a waiver needs to be signed.

Gregg

Royal has a great kids program. I also have two teenagers and they absolutely LOVE RC! We won't sail anything else because of the service, great atmosphere, and the "something for everyone" on the ships we have sailed. I don't think you or your boys would or could be disappointed! Good luck

On the Allure last week my DD11 LOVED the Voyagers kids area. She would pout whenever we wouldn't let her go... :rolleyes: they did a ton of stuff. They had an all night PJ party, a pirate themed night and made a ton of things in the science lab. She really enjoyed herself and begged the whole time to go back every chance she got.

My 2 older sons weren't thrilled with the teen areas. They found ways of entertaining themselves. For our sailing the teen area was pretty dead.

My son is 14 and he found friends...not too sure where they hung out all the time but we didnt see him too much!

I agree w/ another poster...the cruise is going to depend on the ppl who are on it!

I am afraid of that! Honestly, I've gotten on such a cruise kick lately, I don't know how many 5 stars I can afford at the rate I'm booking! We went in December, going again next month, I'm doing one with no kids next Dec, and now I will no doubt book this one in March. I'm gonna be broke if I start booking all Lexus! I've become cruise obsessed! They need a Cruise Critics Annonymous board!

Put me on any ship and I'm happy.

That said, Royal Caribbean is definitely my line of choice. I just like the ships better.

If you like your Royal cruise and decide to "move up to 5 star," I would suggest you book the next one while on board, because that will give you a nice bit of onboard credit.:)

Happy sails. Welcome to the addicts club.

Kathy

There really isn't alot of difference between the people who sail RCI and Carnival.

We've met plenty of pax who were loyal Carnival cruisers who now cruise RCI.

RCI virtually has no dress code any longer..wear whatever you want to wear...t-shirts...jeans...shorts...shorter skirts..wife beater shirts...baseball caps...pajama bottoms...you name it we've seen it on an RCI ship.

The one Carnival cruise we did the same was true. Didn't see much of a dress code on there either. But the decor on a Carnival ship makes me think of the inside of a pinball machine. RCI ships decor is more subdued.

We have done 2 Carnival cruises and took Royal in March - since our friends had booked already & we wanted to go. I was a bit nervous about switching from Carnival since i had heard the food wasn't as good.

I liked Royal just as well as Carnival. Friendly people, nice ship, good balcony. Food was very good and I liked the adult only area. Due to

the booking incentive on the ship & the credit card we applied for - we are going on another Royal cruise next year.

I was also worried about "stuffiness" the first time I sailed Royal. The demographics are the same. Both are casual attire. Didn't take kids with us on Royal, so I can't speak about that aspect. Royal's ships are prettier & more subdued than Carnival's. I did miss the 24/7 ice cream and pizza when we were on Royal. Enchantment had 1 ice cream machine that was up & running from about 1pm until about 8pm (not the posted hours). I thought the entertainment was good on Royal. We had a window cabin - it was a little smaller than CCL's, but had great storage space & we had no problem. Shower was pretty tiny. Food was about the same. My favorite dessert on Royal was BBB - banana bailey's brulee. Staff was great, no complaints there.

I know what you mean - reading the boards here makes one think that everyone that sails Royal is a snob, but rest assured, those people were nowhere to be found on my cruise. You'll have a great time, I'm sure!

Some people will be able to rattle off all the 'for fee' dining spots, but I sure can't. On Royal's website, they have links that tell you which places are included & which ones are extra. I think you have to choose the ship & it is in there somewhere. I know that's pretty vague - I haven't looked at it in a while. I've got until September before I cruise again, so I haven't been in a hurry to look at all the food venues for my ship.

Last night we joined the CCL to RCL crossover. We're booked for a Western Med next year for my 50th birthday. Happy birthday to me. :D

We've been on four CCL cruises and enjoyed them all. We didn't leave CCL because of the loyalty program media circus. However, with the continued cutbacks combined with the change up in the loyalty plan, it was enough to make me wonder what other cruise lines had to offer.

Then someone posted a thread about RCL's marketing move to start their WOW sale the same day of the CCL announcement. Must say... brilliant move. I've been wanting to do a cruise in Europe but couldn't get away for the longer sail times CCL offers. I was thrilled to see that RCL offers shorter Med cruises. Then I saw their prices and was even more thrilled.

So CCL... I didn't leave you because you took away drinks at the Past Guest Party, or because you took shrimp cocktails off the daily menus, or because you made it increasingly harder to apply for prices drops/make payments/talk to a live agent, or because you raised the prices of your steakhouses while doing away with the live music ... I left because you made me wonder if there were something better out there... and there was. I'll be back for a sail on the Valor in 2013. We'll see if RCL has stolen my heart and my vacation dollars. ;)

~ Sheryl

You didn't mention which ship you were considering, but I would recommend one of the bigger class ships. Lots more to do onboard, especially with kids. All cruise lines rely on their alcohol sales so the night life can go as long as you are able. Some of the ships have a solarium area that serve pizza,burgers and dogs into the wee hours. They have cookies there too! There are formal dinners on each cruise, a 7 night cruise has 2 formal nights, but you have other eating options, so you only go if you want .have a good cruise !

Also a Carnival cruiser and have 2 great cruises. Wanting to try something new and we are looking at Royal (oasis). Can you tell me the difference in dining. What you pay extra for and what you do not? Just like to be prepared.

Here's a list of all the restaurants on Oasis, and which ones have an added fee. (Remember, there's more than enough excellent food that's included, and it is very possible to cruise without spending an additional dime on food

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Oasis_Restaurants.pdf

after cruising RCCL you won't want to do Carnival again. Its like going from a Chevy to a Lexus depending on which ship you are sailing.

I have never had a cruise I didn't enjoy. I had fun on Carnival. But Royal is just better. Not stuffy, just imagine a 3 star hotel, then moving to a 5 star.

^^^^ I totally agree!...I have been flip-floping between CCL and RCI and have noticed many slight differences between the 2 lines. I just came off of the Ecstasy and did have a good time. But I've noticed that the servers on the lido decks on both my last 2 Carny cruises are extremely pushy on the drinks. It was really bad on the Fascination. I couldn't look up from my chair w/o someone asking me if I need a "cocktail", when I had a full one still. RCI does not do that. After getting frustrated w/ them, I just simply stared at them to leave me alone.

The food is alot better on RCl and has many more items to choose from.

In the MDR, the wait staff were always around to make sure you were taken care of, everyone from waiter to Head Waiter and so on up. Just a little more attention to detail. The wait staff on CCL barely said anything to us, only just to take our order..They smiled more and made us always feel we were "special".

We just sailed on the Freedom last yr. and totally fell in love w/ that ship.

Best ship to date for us and will travel on it again. Yes there is more to do on that ship, but we had very good experiences on the Sovereign and Monarch.

Hahahahaha! COOKIES? Jeez, if I'da known that I'd have been over here YEARS ago!

No, seriously RCI has some really good cookies! :D If you go on a ship with a Promenade Cafe or a LatteTudes, they have free cookies that are excellent. My favorite are the Mudslides. ;)

Archived