Baltic Amber

Bernie5,

My wife loves Amber too. We heard Russia is another good place to buy Amber. We are booked on Jewel of the Seas, Baltic cruise for 2,July,2012. I contacted our tour guide for SPB and they said they would assist us in purchasing Amber.

Robert

From what I have read, the best prices are in Tallin - pretty sure there will be some amber in the jewellry shop on board and there will be an 'educational' seminar on how to know if it is real or not.:)

From what I have read, the best prices are in Tallin - pretty sure there will be some amber in the jewellry shop on board and there will be an 'educational' seminar on how to know if it is real or not.:)

On my first trip to the baltic last year, I was advised by fellow CCers to look in Tallinn for my amber. I followed their advice and I bought a gorgeous amber pendant in Tallinn last August. Lots of shops in Tallinn. :)

jill

I just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Constellation through the Baltics and found Tallin to have the best prices on amber. The ship will give presentations on how to tell the "real deal" but I found the ship's prices to be higher.

The good places will give you a certificate of quality. I bought a pendant made of 3 colors of amber in Tallinn. There's a wide range of items and prices, depending on where you buy it, how big the amber pieces are and the color amber you want (I believe the almond color was most expensive).

Your ship will probably have an amber sale, ours was the night we left SPB when they were selling tons of Russian stuff in the regular store, and had a sale on amber in the jewelry store. I found the ship's prices throughout the trip ridiculous for the Russian things, but the sale price for the amber wasn't too bad (I got a nice bracelet which also came with a certifcate).

I've gotten lots of compliments on my buys, so buy something you really like and you can't go wrong.

While on our Baltic cruise, the ship provided good information on how to detect fakes. I purchased a few pieces (set in silver) on the ship at a good price.

In Tallinn, we found some very unique settings in GOLD, and more variety in the color of amber. I found a lovely necklace and earrings that has 3 colors of amber.

We saw lots of amber in Poland, but I didn't notice amber set in gold in any of the other ports, only Tallin.

I took home another great souvenir from Tallinn, nesting dolls (Matryoshkas). They are intricately painted with the detailed story of the nativity. Typically, matryoshkas tell a fairy tale.

Enjoy your trip to the Baltic, it is amazing!

I look forward to the Baltic and appreciate all the advice regarding amber. Glad that our Tallin stop is before SPB so I can see what is in Tallin before the ship's sale after SPB.

Archived