portable scooter with back support?

Unfortunately, ease of use and lightweight fold ability are mutually exclusive of good back support. I was just at a scooter store, looking at every model available, and if good back support is a must, I just didn't see that on any scooter model. The only vehicles that appear to provide great back support are the motorized wheelchairs. I did see one four wheeled scooter model from Golden Scooters, that had a larger seat and would appear to have decent back support. But I can tell you from my own experience with three different Pride scooters that I own, none give good back support, and they weigh anywhere from 103lbs to 155lbs depending on battery size.

Just about any scooter can be broken down into four or five pieces, with the battery being the heaviest part, but again, back support will be an issue with any of those.

I am writing for a friend that needs a lightweight scooter that can be folded or broken down into pieces that weigh less than 35 lbs. She needs back support and a design that will support her back upright. Is there such a machine?

The Travelscoot is the closet thing in weight. However I do not know how good the back support is since it does not have a full size back. Also the Travelscoot does not have a reverse gear so you have to use your own foot power to back up which might put a stain on someone with back issues.

http://www.travelscoot.com/specifications.htm

I own a travelscoot. I find the back rest fine but I have no problems with my back. The back rest is triangular. It can be adjusted up and down to be in the lower back or mid back or anywhere inbetween. If you go to the site xxoocruiser noted above you can see the scooter. If your friend needs upper back support this is not the chair for them. Please note that it does not have arm rests. I really like my travelscoot. My main problem with it was that the seat was very uncomfortable. I had the seat reupholstered so extra padding could be added. It is very lightweight which is wonderful.

My husband has a Lexus Light, which does have a good seat and does break down into three pieces with the heaviest being 28 lbs. We usually don't break it down that far, just remove the battery and I lift the rest myself.

However, comfort is a subjective thing and I don't know how the seat would work for someone else. We have taken his scooter all over the world with only a couple minor repairs. It folds up and can be rolled if needed too.

As far as I know, though, you can only order it online which means you can't try it out first. You can see it here: http://lexuslight.com/

Kate

I have both the Travelscoot and the Tzora Easy Light Classic which is similar to Kate's Lexus Light (and made by the same manufacture, Tzora) and I would say that the Tzora scooters (they have 3 models) has the best support of any foldable scooter I have seen that can be broken down into light weight parts.

http://www.tzora.com/products_1

I have both the Travelscoot and the Tzora Easy Light Classic which is similar to Kate's Lexus Light (and made by the same manufacture, Tzora) and I would say that the Tzora scooters (they have 3 models) has the best support of any foldable scooter I have seen that can be broken down into light weight parts.

http://www.tzora.com/products_1

Can you give me an idea of the price? How comfortable is the seat on your model. This would be for a man of about 190 lbs.

Can you give me an idea of the price? How comfortable is the seat on your model. This would be for a man of about 190 lbs.

Beleive this scooter costs around $1600 ( even more depeding on website) and can only be purchased on line. Therefore you will not be able to test ride one before purchasing.

I find the Tzora very comfortable. The molded seat and back is padded with memory foam and is leather covered. MUCH more comfortable than the Travelscoot seat which is noted for not being comfortable at all. At 190 pounds your husband is well under the weight limit of the Tzora. Mine was purchased here: http://summiteasy.com/Scooters/Tzora/

And unfortunately both the Tzoras and the Travelscoot can only be purchased on line though a few of the on-line retailers for Tzora have store locations if they are near you. Summit is located in Center Line MI and they do have a 800 number and the folks have been very helpful on the phone.

Archived