My Futile Search

After many cruises, ships, and countless tables my search continues for a regular sized pepper shaker in the MDR to actually dispence pepper. I assure you I have looked far and wide but to no avail. The past few cruises I've taken to swiping a large grinder from another table on my way to a meal just in case there's none there. Breakfast is usually the worst as I love pepper in my V8 and on my eggs and potatos. Perhaps for the next cruise I'll stock up on packets from fast food places. Hope I can get it by security.

I'm beginning to feel as though I'm the only one in the world who uses pepper. Any other pepper lovers out there who noticed this?

The problem I have is that the pepper usually doesn't come out. So I just take off the top and pour it out.

It's not usually that good anyway, as it's been sitting around. If I were you, I'd carry my own.

They all have them but no pepper comes out of the small shakers. I think I said that in my post above.

Just drop by the local everything's a dollar store and get a pepper grinder full of peppercorns or if you don't have to have fresh ground, just a shaker. Then take that with you. However, I think you have just been unlucky and you need to speak up and ask for pepper.

Just drop by the local everything's a dollar store and get a pepper grinder full of peppercorns or if you don't have to have fresh ground, just a shaker. Then take that with you. However, I think you have just been unlucky and you need to speak up and ask for pepper.

The actual issue is that the pepper is not ground fine enough to fit through the holes in the shaker. Believe it or not, there are specs for ground pepper and the size of the hole in the shaker. Many people and dining venue don't know this and end up with a pepper shaker that will not dispense. The best all around solution is a pepper grinder, we get fresher pepper, and in a size that actually adds taste.

Unlucky? Not hardly. Next trip try it yourself.

I guess I upset you? Sure wasn't trying to. I have to have pepper on eggs and steaks and ground pepper on salads or it is just not worth eating so I was really sympathizing with you. I asked a similar question and was assured that ground pepper would be available all the time.

The actual issue is that the pepper is not ground fine enough to fit through the holes in the shaker. Believe it or not, there are specs for ground pepper and the size of the hole in the shaker. Many people and dining venue don't know this and end up with a pepper shaker that will not dispense. The best all around solution is a pepper grinder, we get fresher pepper, and in a size that actually adds taste.

I do believe you when you say there are specs for the size of the hole. Maybe they got a bad batch and never tested them. If no one tells them they will never know.

And I agree with you, fresh ground pepper is the best!

Keep in mind that most of the Windjammer Staff are only doing what they are told which is to keep the Salt & Pepper shakers full.

When they are "full" there is no room inside of the shaker for the salt or pepper to "shake around" and the result is almost nothing comes out.

I have had this problem often in the past and the easy solution is to remove the lid and empty the shaker so the fill level is about 1/4" below the top.

Trust me, this works!

You have my permission to examine your Salt & Pepper Shakers at home and experiment with them to your heart's content.

Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Kramer take their own syrup to the diner for bfast.

I can just picture you pulling out a pepper grinder out of your pocket and grinding away. The table next to you, would want to borrow it:D

Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and Kramer take their own syrup to the diner for bfast.

I can just picture you pulling out a pepper grinder out of your pocket and grinding away. The table next to you, would want to borrow it:D

I never watched Seinfeld, but I can imagine doing just that. I guess I am fussy and neurotic too and just hate to eat a bunch of food when it is not exactly seasoned or sauced the way I want. I have been assured that there are pepper grinders in the restaurants, so I probably won't bring mine. Also it would drive my husband crazy, I have promised him that I will be relaxed, low key and non judgmental.

Archived