question about wines

I recommend a Riesling from Germany. The RCCL online wine list currently has a Riesling Spatlese by Piesporter that I think will fit the bill fabulously. You can also go with a White Zinfandel, since they tend to be sweeter, but they are considered a blush wine - winespeak for Pink.

But winelists can change. So don't be afraid to ask your waiter. If they don't know, they will/should ask the bartender or maitre d'. They want you to be happy with your purchase, so you will buy again, both wine and a future cruise, so they will be helpful.

By the way, you can see the RCCL wine list on their website gifts page. I'll try to put it here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000LsCUVymauCVEdBaKI23MQTY:v2krl5v8?catCode=WINE

I'll have to chech this out once on the ship! :)

Dawn...your ship may have a wine tasting event. When you board and go to the buffet for a snack you may see a table set up with bottles of wine and a person there to sign people up for the tasting. There is usually a small cost for this. We went to one on Voyager, but we didn't really care for the wines because we usually like heavier bodied wines than they had, but it may be perfect for you. Different cruise lines have different wines, but it is fun to try and see if there is something you can have with your dinner.

The recommendation for Rosemount Shiraz is a good one: retails for $7-$10, and is on the HAL wine list for $41 per bottle, so you are much better off buying it yourself. !

Sounds intriguing....which Shiraz from Rosemount do you recommend? Thanks.

I have had great experience with Columbia Crest Grand Estates reds - the Merlot, Cab, and Syrah are all very good, all priced under $10 on sale ($12 if not), and all widely available, especially the Merlot and Cab. All 3 were also highly rated by a prominent wine magazine, with scores 89-90. I buy them all quite often.

Be good once in your life - dont be cheep this time and get a good bottle of wine OPUS 1 :)

Get it tiger.. but dont be cheep...

That is the greatest wine you should try if you are travelling with your wife once in a year...

Cheers..

I am very confused! I had a friend take the RC 7 day trip to Mexico (from LA). She said everyone brought their own wine! I just got my booklet from RC (we leave 4th of July) and it said you may NOT bring any of your own wine. Well, being in California - we drink a LOT of wine! If I go out to dinner my hubby and I usually get a bottle...however after looking at the RC wine list that someone was kind enough to post (thank you) I am a bit freaked out at the prices. We can get a great botttle of wine for 10 to 15 dollars when we go out. The booklet didn't mention anything about bringing your own and then having a corkage fee. Can anyone help straighten me out??? Thanks so much!

The rule is there so that the cruiseline can enforce it if they choose/ fell it's necessary. I haven't run into anyone having problems bringing wine with them. Sometimes a corkage fee is charged if you bring your own, sometimes not. It depends on your waiter, how busy they are, how nice you are, etc.

I cannot find anything about corkage fees in the brochures I have, or on the RCCL website. I don't know if that is a change in policy or an oversight. Don't ask! and hope for the best.

Well, after posting my question I read further all the many messages about bringing wine! Sounds like I'm not the only one confused!

Does anyone know about the quality of box wines? I use to drink them back in the 80's but then I read that they did not have to meet the same quality guidelines as bottled wine. It was actually a lot of fruit juice and sugar....not really wine. Now all I drink is bottled wine...my fair share of $2 buck Chuck;) ! But also nicer wines. Recently, it seems boxed wines are making a comeback! I think Australia began importing some in a box...That would do well for packing in a suitcase.

Any thoughts????

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds intriguing....which Shiraz from Rosemount do you recommend? Thanks.

Rosemount's entry level wines have diamond-shaped labels and are generally blends, e.g., grenache-shiraz. They are $6 per bottle and good picnic wines.

Next step up is [just plain] Rosemount Shiraz - the one I mentioned in my earlier post - a good dinner wine. Above that, Rosemount makes a Balmoral Shiraz at $25 a bottle, better than the regular bottling, but 3 times the price.

Asked when she drinks champagne, Madam Lilly Bollinger replied,

"I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when

I'm alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory, I trifle with

it when I'm not hungry and when I am, Other wise, I never touch it unless I'm thirsty.

Cheers

Hey there.. Welcome to the world of wine! I would suggest a nice bottle of Shiraz. It's peppery and goes very well with any red meat or pasta dish (with red sauce of course). For a good Shiraz, try Rosemount. This very tasty and HIGHLY underrated wine is available at your local Costco/Sams for about 7 dollars a bottle, but tastes more like a good 20 dollar bottle of wine. You can also find it at the grocery store for about 12 dollars.

Skip the cork fee and enjoy it in your cabin before dinner! :)

If you and your wife like red wines may I suggest the enourmously popular Charles Shaw Merlot available at Trader Joes. Fondly referred to as "two buck Chuck" by Californians (1.99 a bottle there), here in tax happy Washington State its still a bargain at 2.99. Guaranteed to raise the noses and eyebrows of wine snobs including Miles from "Sideways" it remains a great merlot for the rest of us.

So, for those that have brought wine aboard, do you carry it on the plane with you and then when you get your bags back at the airport transfer it from your carry-on to your packed luggage just prior to getting on the ship? I've heard that you have to have it in your packed luggage in order to get it on the ship. Is that correct? Or can you carry it right aboard the ship with you? I would hate to bring an expensive bottle of wine from our collection aboard and have it confiscated by the cruise line upon boarding.

We have always carried our wine aboard the plane and the ship in a carry-on bag. Have you ever seen the way they treat luggage at airports and cruise ports? I'd hate to lose a precious drop of my special wines from being broken. As far as being able to carry it on or trying to sneak it in your checked luggage, it depends on which cruise line you are taking. In the past we were on RCCL and had no problem carrying it on. That may have changed in the past two years. We are going on Princess this time and they allow passengers to bring on wine and champagne. This time we are thinking of having the wine delivered to our room by a place in FLL that does this as their business. What a great idea they had!

If you have a bottle taken from you as you board they will give it back to you at the end of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I have had great experience with Columbia Crest Grand Estates reds - the Merlot, Cab, and Syrah are all very good, all priced under $10 on sale ($12 if not), and all widely available, especially the Merlot and Cab. All 3 were also highly rated by a prominent wine magazine, with scores 89-90. I buy them all quite often.

I agree. I'm not a wine expert, but am certainly an expert when it comes to my own palate and I love the Columbia Crest Grand Estates (very smooth). I moved to the state of Washington 7 years ago, from the heart of California's wine country (Sonoma). It took several years, before I ventured into Washington State wines. Now, I can't think of the last time I bought a bottle from CA! Thanks to those who've recommended Rosemount Shiraz. Sounds intriguing.

I'm looking forward to my very first cruise, next month. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner (one glass at home/one or two in a restaurant where we tend to linger longer). Since my partner doesn't drink, I'm thinking of just ordering by the glass each night. Does this make sense? I want good taste, but also want to be economical.

Bonnie

I'm looking forward to my very first cruise, next month. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner (one glass at home/one or two in a restaurant where we tend to linger longer). Since my partner doesn't drink, I'm thinking of just ordering by the glass each night. Does this make sense? I want good taste, but also want to be economical.

Bonnie

No, buy a bottle, not a glass. They will hold the nonconsumed portion for you to enjoy on other nights. Also, feel free, if you like to perhaps order a white wine with your appetizer and then a red for your main course. Again, both bottles will be properly stored for you for future meals.

Ordering by the glass not only limits your choices, but costs you more money.

Jane

No, buy a bottle, not a glass. They will hold the nonconsumed portion for you to enjoy on other nights. Also, feel free, if you like to perhaps order a white wine with your appetizer and then a red for your main course. Again, both bottles will be properly stored for you for future meals.

Ordering by the glass not only limits your choices, but costs you more money.

Jane

Jane and Crusincurt... thanks for your responses. That settles it. I'll buy bottles. I'll probably buy one each of a reasonably priced red (most likely shiraz or pinot noir) and white (I'm partial to rieslings) and trade off, depending on what my entrees are.

Bonnie

Archived