question about wines

My wife and I never drink wine. Okay, maybe a glass every year or two. On past cruises we have tasted some red wine (Georges Duboeuf I believe) and we liked it.

We will be cruising with some cheapskates and they want to bring a few large bottles of wine on board the Carnival Victory and pay the corkage fee and drink at dinner.

Please give me your advice on which type of wine I should tell these cheapskates to buy (locally) so that we will be drinking good quality wine on the ship and so that it will be the same type of wine that is sold on the ship. (These people are into impressions and want people to think that they are buying the wine on the ship).

Anyway, all advice on wine types is appreciated.

I am a complete novice, so don’t make fun of my post. All that I know is that my wife and I like red wine, not so keen on white wine. I really don’t care what our friends like, and they only care that they are saving a ton of cash (even with the corkage fee factored in).

So, with that in mind, if you could also give an approximate cost that we should pay for this wine locally (not on the ship).

Thanks in advance

Most likely the GD wine you had was a boujoulais (sp). That is usually a lighter bodied fruity red. You may like pinot noir as most of them are lighter bodied. You can also find medium bodied merlots or red zinfandels (not to be confused with white zin). I often find good bottles of reds at Sam's Club or Cost Plus World Market for under $15. The Clos du Bois Merlot is good and the St. Michelle Merlot is too. The le Crema and Estancia Pinot Noirs are good and not too expensive. Some Austrailain shiraz (syrah) and some Spanish riojas are good and decently priced. If you go into a wine shop and tell them you like light bodied reds for under $15 (or whatever your price range is) they will usually be very helpful. Even people who drink wine regularly don't want to spend a fortune on it, so this is a common question in a wine shop.

For a cruise we like to bring more unusual wines that will not be readily available on the ship. We usually bring some of our more expensive bottles as well since we are celebrating daily while on vacation! Cheers and do a little taste testing before you go...it's fun!

I watched or read something about not springing too much money for wine aboard a ship. I'm sure the cruise industry does not promote this, but I heard that wine should not move about. I guess this affects the taste (sediment at the bottom comes up???), and since you'd be on a moving ship, it may not pay to buy a high end wine. But being I am not an expert maybe somebody can enlighten us on this subject. :o Anybody?

I have also heard that the worst place to try an expensive wine is a ship. Even if they have a climate controlled "cellar", the vibration from the engines can affect the wine (shake it up, etc.).

As for what wines to get that would be similar to what's on board, go to Carnival's website, and click on Gifts. That may have a list of wines to buy for people. If you have no luck there, you should be able to get a list of wines normally stocked from the company or your TA.

For reds, popular wines these days are Merlots and Shiraz's. If you see the word Syrah, that is the same grape as a Shiraz. These will be the easiest ones to find onboard and in stores. Red Zinfandels are the lightest reds, Cabernet Sauvignons are the heaviest. When we travel, we bring a Sangiovese, which is the basis of Italian Chiantis. We do it for the same reason as chris cruise: it's not usually available onboard. We like it because it has a lot of flavor and is not too sweet.

One cruise we had a nice wine, a Crianza Leganza from Spain. It is made with Temperanillo grapes, which reminded me of Sangiovese. On the ship it cost 25-30 dollars, when we got home, it was in the discount liquor shop for EIGHT.

How much you pay depends on where you live. Find a good liquor discounter near you, and ask for a recommendation. They want you to return, so they will take care of you.

the idea that wine from a ship cellar should be avoided is just urban legend.

all of the wine sold inthis country, imported of course, got here on a ship. these wines travel well, and stored properly are as good on board as any wine merchant in the states.

My husband is a winemaker (at the family winery) and a professional wine judge. The only issue he has ever had with wine on a cruise (we've been on five) was a bait-and-switch with wine ordered by the glass. We ordered a certain wine by the glass every night. One night they delivered a different wine than what we had ordered. The color and taste were very different from what we had ordered. Someone gave us a less expensive wine and hoped we didn't notice. We politely brought it to the attention of someone of importance (I can't remember who), and we got the two glasses of wine for free. If my husband wasn't so experienced with wine, we would have never known we had been ripped off. I hope that practice doesn't happen often in restaurants, cruise ships, etc. A recommendation for wine: Rosemount Estate Shiraz. My husband always orders this on cruises, because he knows this to be a great wine for the price. We love expensive wines, but we have a budget like everyone else. That's a winemaker's recommendation for quality and value.

A decent bottle of wine costs $8 - $10 (Australian Sarah's come to mind). Add on a corkage charge of $10 or more, and you are at $18 - $20. A bottle of average wine onboard is $18 - $20.:confused:

Yes, you can buy wine cheaper at home sometimes, and yes you can spend more on a bottle of wine onboard, but why take up baggage space when you don't really have to?:D

Now, if you are going to just drink it in your cabin, you could avoid the corkage fee and yes it would be cheaper. But drinking it in the dining room really isn't going to save all that much.:)

All the above information is based on prices in the Washington DC area and Holland America posted prices.

Cheers!

I find it very hard to believe that HAL offers wine for such a small price.:rolleyes:

The very least expensive wine on Carnival ships is $23. Then, IF they impose the corkage fee, it's an add'l $10. (However, the corkage fee has always been waived when I've taken wine into the dining room.) It's at the discretion of your waiter.

I usually take my own wine for my cabin, and I buy 2-3 bottles in the dining room during a 5-night cruise. I'm a solo cruiser, and the waiter will store the bottle, and it's waiting for me at the next evening's dinner.

***** Snorkelman - I replied to your questions at length on your identical post on another forum.:)

The recommendation for Rosemount Shiraz is a good one: retails for $7-$10, and is on the HAL wine list for $41 per bottle, so you are much better off buying it yourself. For Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais, a step up would be those by DuBoeuf from Fleurie or Morgon, still around $10/bottle and much better. Also, try a Spanish tempranillo or garnacha (grenache), such as Osborne Solaz.

I don't agree with the person who said you don't pay corkage if the wine has a screw top - corkage is normally charged on any wine that the cruise line did not sell you.

Unless you are taking older, classic red wines that have sediment in the bottle, there is no problem with a little shaking in transport. Even when I take older wines on a cruise that do have sediment, letting them stand upright for a day or two will allow them to re-settle.

Remember, wine is really just a beverage, not a mystic experience. Open a bottle and enjoy!

I've noticed that if you bring a wine that they sell on board, they don't charge a corkage fee because they think you received it as a gift. Worked everytime for me!

June

Cute trick, but unless you cruise on the same ship repeatedly, how would you know which wines to buy to bring along?

I think hands down the best Red is David Bruce, Pinot Noir. Fairly new to the market. Maybe a little pricey at $20. I would much rather pay that price and the corking charge for something I know I will enjoy. After all this is your vacation also so. Try a bottle before you go.

Osborne Solaz is one of my new favorite cheap red wines. It's kind of hard to find in my area, though. It's just a great sitting on the patio in the summer with friends wine.

Here is opinion on wine. I like to have a glass or two or three every night with my dinner. To be honest I stay away from wines from America because I find that the quality and taste is not to my liking. The last bottle of wine from America managed to get one sip and the remainder was promptly put down the sink.

I like wines from South Africa because the quality and taste is superb. I also like some of the wines from Chile. Wines from Europe are also good but you need to experiment with them. Suave from Italy is nice with white meats and light meals and can be bought for £3. a bottle at my local supermarket. Some of the Spanish wines are good, especially if they have come from the Valencia region. Also worth drinking is Sherry which also comes from Spain. Sherry cannot be drank with a meal as it is a fortified wine but it is nice to drink before dinner. Portual has some beautiful wines. The most famous being Mateus which is a rose wine. Madiera wine from the Portugese island of Madiera is wonderful and is nice to drink before dinner. Madiera wine is also a fortified wine. To finish off a nice meal you should try another Portugese drink which is called Port or Porto. The best wine to drink though has to come from France. The drink that I am talking about is Champagne. If you are wanting a cheaper alternative try Cava from Spain. Cava is made using the traditional methods for making Champagne but at a fraction of the cost. Germany also has a wine region but to be honest I find the German wines too sweet and cheap tasting. I am going to Italy in a few weeks time and am looking forward to being able to buy a good bottle of wine for less than £1. One final thing.... CHEERS..

Bob,

Being long term Brits to the American shores, we have found some incredible American wines you will never find in Sainsburys/Tesco/Marks.

Look for a " De Loach" Zinfandel Russian River Valley 2001 estate bottled ( this by the way is not the putrid white zinfandel) but a wonderful aroma of fruits.

I remember when we first opened a bottle in San Diego some years age being blown away by the aroma.

For white wine lovers try a "Grigch Hills" Napa Valley FUME BLANC estate grown 2003.

Do not be put off by people who do not know American wines.

(We travel the world, and even in China they have wine ( Great Wall ) not great wine)

We have travelled the wine countries in Australia, Chile, South Africa.

I urge you try Californian wines they are FANTASTIC, you just got to know which.

Well, if you are not much of a wine drinker but want to try something cheap out...I'd go with Lambrusco red wine. It is about as soft as you are going to find and very affordable. If you don't mind paying for a real bottle....you could probably find a sweet pinot noir to go with a steak. If you are not that into wine...you could also just try a white zinfandel. Good "beginner" wine. It basically tastes like a wine cooler. Hope that helps.

Dawn...your ship may have a wine tasting event. When you board and go to the buffet for a snack you may see a table set up with bottles of wine and a person there to sign people up for the tasting. There is usually a small cost for this. We went to one on Voyager, but we didn't really care for the wines because we usually like heavier bodied wines than they had, but it may be perfect for you. Different cruise lines have different wines, but it is fun to try and see if there is something you can have with your dinner.

Archived