British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

Hi Emily! One of our best cruises was on Carnival! The ships are different from Princess ~ not bad, just glitzier! We have all our tours set for our BI cruise in May except for Edinburg :confused: Calm seas and safe sailing, Karen

Thank you, that makes me feel better. I assumed they were the crazy party boat, but envy one on our Roll Call here on CC are such sweet people. :)

Edinburgh was the easiest to plan, for us. He city is stunning and its easy to get there via train. Even if you didn't do the castle, the Royal Mile or Holyrood House are great. The architecture all around was amazing!

Edited by DeloreanGirl

No need to bring hangers. Your cabin steward will gladly bring you more if you need them.

Yep, when the steward introduces himself, I always ask for two things; a top sheet (and blanket, if available) and extra hangers. After that, I'm very low maintenance.

• 1 month later...

Emily - To my neighbor--- yes I could probably walk over to your house or meet you at Starbucks in 5 minutes! Ditto to all the accolades and a round of applause from all of us that you have shared with. I have had a blast reading about your adventure and now have to go back and disect it and make notes to add to our August trip.

Stephanie

Emily - To my neighbor--- yes I could probably walk over to your house or meet you at Starbucks in 5 minutes! Ditto to all the accolades and a round of applause from all of us that you have shared with. I have had a blast reading about your adventure and now have to go back and disect it and make notes to add to our August trip.

Stephanie

Hey neighbor! So thrilled that you get to go on this itinerary in August! We've especially got to support Princess living in the SCV. ;)

I am bringing this thread forward to help other cruisers doing this cruise this year.

I am re reading this thread for our August 16 cruise.

Thanks phabric! I'm so excited about the 2013 folks getting ready for their trips this year.

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Emily, glad this was brought forward as I was away from CC for several months and missed your fabulous review. We've traveled in England and Scotland by land and share your love of the people and places. You've inspired me to think about a BI cruise after reading your wonderful review. As many have already stated, you have a gift for writing. I hope it's something you'll keep doing as you travel.

Susan/HRPro

Hi Emily!!!!

Great to see your wonderful 'thesis' is still being read and enjoyed - you deserve all the praise.

Glad to read that you finally got the model of the ship, really sorry we weren't able to help. The member of staff we met in Liverpool was so excited that he had found a model for you but when we went on the ship he was so dis-appointed it wasn't the correct size.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise, we're coming to your part of the world next month - want some Cadbury's Cream Eggs?!??! Swap you for some Baby Ruths:eek:

Best wishes

Maureen

Delorean Girl, loved your review and all your helpful hints! Great info. I do use some of the same hints you have recommended. I do not have a travel alarm clock tho so decided it was time to purchase one. I'm always wondering what time it is in our cabin....

Quote: 3. A travel alarm clock. I don’t know how you expect to go on a cruise without one. Do you use the phone’s wake-up service everyday? I bought the "Elgin Travel Alarm Clock" from Amazon and this little guy was a life saver. It’s only $10, weighs one ounce, folds in half, and lights up when you push the big button so you can check the time in the middle of the night. When the alarm goes off, it blinks in red and also has a snooze button. It’s incredibly simple to set, with only 4 buttons. I highly recommend it! End Quote.

I was on Amazon and there are too many choices so wondered if you could find the one you bought or something similar. Some of the ones on Amazon do not get good reviews. Thanks so much.

Emily- Just finished reading your "travelogue" and it was wonderful! Just wish we would have seen it before last August 1st when we took this same cruise. You are a wonderful writer! Best wishes to you and Mike, keep writing, and save for that next amazing vacation!

Donna

Delorean Girl, loved your review and all your helpful hints! Great info. I do use some of the same hints you have recommended. I do not have a travel alarm clock tho so decided it was time to purchase one. I'm always wondering what time it is in our cabin....

Quote: 3. A travel alarm clock. I don’t know how you expect to go on a cruise without one. Do you use the phone’s wake-up service everyday? I bought the "Elgin Travel Alarm Clock" from Amazon and this little guy was a life saver. It’s only $10, weighs one ounce, folds in half, and lights up when you push the big button so you can check the time in the middle of the night. When the alarm goes off, it blinks in red and also has a snooze button. It’s incredibly simple to set, with only 4 buttons. I highly recommend it! End Quote.

I was on Amazon and there are too many choices so wondered if you could find the one you bought or something similar. Some of the ones on Amazon do not get good reviews. Thanks so much.

Hi there! I still have my travel clock and used it on a short cruise 2 weeks ago. It is the Elgin travel clock on Amazon and should be around $10-$12. It folds in half and has a large blue snooze button on it.

Emily- Just finished reading your "travelogue" and it was wonderful! Just wish we would have seen it before last August 1st when we took this same cruise. You are a wonderful writer! Best wishes to you and Mike, keep writing, and save for that next amazing vacation!

Donna

Thank you so much, Donna! We keep eyeing the 2014 British Isles itineraries. Eek! We just finished a Carnival cruise with friends and it was worlds different than Princess. I'm definitely ready to go back to the UK. It calls to me... ;)

Hi Emily!!!!

Great to see your wonderful 'thesis' is still being read and enjoyed - you deserve all the praise.

Glad to read that you finally got the model of the ship, really sorry we weren't able to help. The member of staff we met in Liverpool was so excited that he had found a model for you but when we went on the ship he was so dis-appointed it wasn't the correct size.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise, we're coming to your part of the world next month - want some Cadbury's Cream Eggs?!??! Swap you for some Baby Ruths:eek:

Best wishes

Maureen

Hi Maureen!

I am so terribly upset that they pulled Liverpool from the itineraries. Grrrrr! Your city is so incredibly wonderful!

My Caribbean Princess is still tiny and dwarfed by the other ships but it still sits proudly in my collection.

I just saw the Cadbury Eggs in the stores last week. Oh man are those good. I don't mind sending Baby Ruth's your way any time! :)

Hi Maureen!

I am so terribly upset that they pulled Liverpool from the itineraries. Grrrrr! Your city is so incredibly wonderful!

My Caribbean Princess is still tiny and dwarfed by the other ships but it still sits proudly in my collection.

I just saw the Cadbury Eggs in the stores last week. Oh man are those good. I don't mind sending Baby Ruth's your way any time! :)

Hi Emily

I hadn't realised they had pulled Liverpool from the itineraries, knew they were arriving at stupid o'clock in the morning, therefore not giving passengers much time to do a lot of sightseeing. Someone had said it was something to do with the tides, if this true that really is a shame, loved seeing CB at the Pier Head!!!

Maureen

Hi Emily

I hadn't realised they had pulled Liverpool from the itineraries, knew they were arriving at stupid o'clock in the morning, therefore not giving passengers much time to do a lot of sightseeing. Someone had said it was something to do with the tides, if this true that really is a shame, loved seeing CB at the Pier Head!!!

Maureen

The August 16 British Isles cruise is stopping at Liverpool on August 20th from 4 am to 3 pm.

I just spent most of the morning reading your review. We have done the British Cruise twice and plan on doing it again. Your review helped us relive a lot of the wonderful moments. We were also upgraded from an inside to a balcony on our first of the two cruises. A few of the ports do change from year to year so it does make going back more interesting!

The August 16 British Isles cruise is stopping at Liverpool on August 20th from 4 am to 3 pm.

That's great news - we'll be there to wave to you!!! :D

Yes, our August 16th cruise is going to Liverpool. We have chosen the Beatles excursion..

Hope you enjoy it - is that the excursion that takes you to where they used to live? At least you will see some of Liverpool on that if it is.

Really hope you all enjoy our lovely City. Reading Emily's 'thesis' and seeing Liverpool through her eyes made me quite emotional.

Maureen

Being UK born and bred, drug up proper as we say in Norfolk, I appeciate all the positive comments that have been posted about our fair(ish) Isle, but I would like to say that just seeing London, Liverpool and Edinburgh is not seeing the UK in it's best light, to really get a feel for the place you need to see the other UK, ie, The Lake District, the Derbyshire Dales, Yorkshire moors and Dales, Cornwall, the New Forest etc,I can also recommend my neck of the woods, North Norfolk and all the pretty little towns and villages, where the beaches go on for miles with nobody on them, I could suggest other very picturesque area's (subject to the weather), but like us when we visit the USA, we are limited by finances and time by what we can get to see.

We have visited the US about 6 times and Western Canada about 5 times, (family in Vancouver), and consider you residents there very lucky, especially Wyoming and BC residents, our favourite state in the US, most places have something to recommend them, just need more time and money to visit them all.

After reading about possible cancellations of stops at Liverpool, I double checked our itinerary. We are on the June 29 sailing, and we are scheduled to be in Liverpool from 7a -7p on July 3. I'm still figuring out what we're going to do. Just glad we don't have to miss it!

Being UK born and bred, drug up proper as we say in Norfolk, I appeciate all the positive comments that have been posted about our fair(ish) Isle, but I would like to say that just seeing London, Liverpool and Edinburgh is not seeing the UK in it's best light, to really get a feel for the place you need to see the other UK, ie, The Lake District, the Derbyshire Dales, Yorkshire moors and Dales, Cornwall, the New Forest etc,.

This is exactly why we want to return ASAP! It's also why I want to move to the UK (truthfully!) I've never been more enchanted with an area than those three countries. It's a goal to get back there as soon as possible, especially to visit more of the countryside.

After reading about possible cancellations of stops at Liverpool, I double checked our itinerary. We are on the June 29 sailing, and we are scheduled to be in Liverpool from 7a -7p on July 3. I'm still figuring out what we're going to do. Just glad we don't have to miss it!

That makes me happy! I was looking at Princess' website and it looked like Liverpool was left out of most itineraries and instead they were visiting the Orkney Islands. Liverpool is such a fantastic city with great people and great sights. If you head over the Western Europe & British Isles thread on Cruise Critic, look for a post by a member named "TowncarT" or "Mrs. Moho". He's great and he can help you with all things Liverpool. The city is right next to where the ship docks so you could wander around all day without having booked anything (as we did) and still have a great time. There are numerous museums, restaurants, etc. to fill your day. Best of all, it's all a half mile or less from the ship. ;)

Edited by DeloreanGirl

That makes me happy! I was looking at Princess' website and it looked like Liverpool was left out of most itineraries and instead they were visiting the Orkney Islands. Liverpool is such a fantastic city with great people and great sights. If you head over the Western Europe & British Isles thread on Cruise Critic, look for a post by a member named "TowncarT" or "Mrs. Moho". He's great and he can help you with all things Liverpool. The city is right next to where the ship docks so you could wander around all day without having booked anything (as we did) and still have a great time. There are numerous museums, restaurants, etc. to fill your day. Best of all, it's all a half mile or less from the ship. ;)

You need to move to Liverpool and work in the PR dept!!!! Only half an hour from Wales, hour to Lake District, 3 hours to Scotland and half an hour to Manchester Airport to visit US - simples :D:D

Maureen

You need to move to Liverpool and work in the PR dept!!!! Only half an hour from Wales, hour to Lake District, 3 hours to Scotland and half an hour to Manchester Airport to visit US - simples :D:D

Maureen

Sold! And I'll bring some Baby Ruth's with me. ;)