British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for all the wonderful words of wisdom and your incredible posts from your trip! I have enjoyed reading them and have even started my own binder thanks to you! (I used to use an accordian file folder which worked just fine, but I thought I'd try out your idea this trip!)

Emily,

Nine months later and your epic review is still attracting viewers and comments! That must be another CC record. Congrats.

I'm in the midst of planning our upcoming BI cruise, and Mr. Google led me to your thesis. Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions.

Stimulated by your excellent reviews, many who have posted here have expressed interest in doing a BI cruise. There's another cruise line in the game. Windstar has added BI to their itineraries this season (2013). There are only three sailings this year: Edinburgh/Dublin and Dublin/Portsmouth (and one reverse). We're combining them on a B2B in August. The Windstar vessels (technically, they're schooners) are quite a bit smaller than the Princess and Celebrity megaships, so they can stop in smaller ports. Alas, Liverpool is not one of the stops. After reading about your experience there, I'm sorry we'll miss it.

Regards.

Dave

Emily,

Nine months later and your epic review is still attracting viewers and comments! That must be another CC record. Congrats.

I'm in the midst of planning our upcoming BI cruise, and Mr. Google led me to your thesis. Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions.

Stimulated by your excellent reviews, many who have posted here have expressed interest in doing a BI cruise. There's another cruise line in the game. Windstar has added BI to their itineraries this season (2013). There are only three sailings this year: Edinburgh/Dublin and Dublin/Portsmouth (and one reverse). We're combining them on a B2B in August. The Windstar vessels (technically, they're schooners) are quite a bit smaller than the Princess and Celebrity megaships, so they can stop in smaller ports. Alas, Liverpool is not one of the stops. After reading about your experience there, I'm sorry we'll miss it.

Regards.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I'm shocked that it's gained popularity this time around but I'm happy to help the 2013 folks plan their trips (and drooling over it and wishing I could go again, too.)

I'm interested to hear about the Windstar cruise. I know of a few people that would only cruise if it were on a small ship, so it's good to know there are other choices out there.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

@Emily,

We love the Windstar - have sailed (literally) on them 4 or 5 times, plus a couple trips on Princess, and most recently, Oceania to the Baltic. We weren't terribly fond of the ship, but the itinerary was our all-time favorite, including 3 amazing days in St. Petersburg. Something for your bucket list!

Hmmmmmmm. Will start to save for 2014 thanks to you.

Making a binder for next month's cruise, and an Elgin is on the way. Also thanks to you and your generosity with advice.

Yes, there are multiple Elgin travelclocks on Amazon at this time. Hope I guessed well.

I have read a ton of reviews over the years, but I have to say yours was, hands down, the most fun I had ever read! My hubby is now listening to me "plan" our cruise to the British Isles...If being a fan of Jane Austin and Downton Abbey weren't enough, your review "sealed the deal." Thank you again for a fun, informative and totally enjoyable read. Vickie

Hmmmmmmm. Will start to save for 2014 thanks to you.

Making a binder for next month's cruise, and an Elgin is on the way. Also thanks to you and your generosity with advice.

Yes, there are multiple Elgin travelclocks on Amazon at this time. Hope I guessed well.

Awesome! Our Elgin is black with a big blue snooze button if that helps any. I just took it on a Carnival cruise a few weeks ago and it's still running great. Happy planning!

I have read a ton of reviews over the years, but I have to say yours was, hands down, the most fun I had ever read! My hubby is now listening to me "plan" our cruise to the British Isles...If being a fan of Jane Austin and Downton Abbey weren't enough, your review "sealed the deal." Thank you again for a fun, informative and totally enjoyable read. Vickie

Hurray! Awww, thanks, that made my day! I live and breathe Downton Abbey right now. I think the season finale is tomorrow (yikes!) Will you have time to visit Highclere Castle just west of London? I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report. I'm always available via email if you have any questions. :)

On our last cruise, we came across a wonderful for touring with when we stopped in Dublin. paddywagon Tours organised our group trip from pick up at the boat to an in depth city tour of Dublin and a beautiful half day trip to Glendalough in Co. Wicklow. Their prices were very reasonable and their tour guide, Charlie, was absolutley excellent! If you are thinking of doing a tour around this wonderful city on your visit I can higlly recommend this company. It really made our trip, very hassle free and fun!!

I wasn't familiar with the expression HOHO and I was sure I had missed where a definition was given. Eventually I figured it out but at first I was like "where is that in relation to SoHo?"

LOL at my silly brain - it needs loose ends like that to be resolved!

On our last cruise, we came across a wonderful for touring with when we stopped in Dublin. paddywagon Tours organised our group trip from pick up at the boat to an in depth city tour of Dublin and a beautiful half day trip to Glendalough in Co. Wicklow. Their prices were very reasonable and their tour guide, Charlie, was absolutley excellent! If you are thinking of doing a tour around this wonderful city on your visit I can higlly recommend this company. It really made our trip, very hassle free and fun!!

The name sounds very familiar. I think they may have been used by some folks on our ship. We are already daydreaming about doing the BI cruise again in 2014 and seeing more countryside is definitely on the list.

I wasn't familiar with the expression HOHO and I was sure I had missed where a definition was given. Eventually I figured it out but at first I was like "where is that in relation to SoHo?"

LOL at my silly brain - it needs loose ends like that to be resolved!

I know what you mean! When I jumped on the British Isles boards in 2011 I was equally confused. Someone, thank goodness, wrote a post asking "What is a HOHO?" I was thankful they did because I was too shy to ask. I work in NoHo (North Hollywood) and have heard of SoHo so...well... you get the picture. I thought HOHO's were a European thing but apparently they're on the east coast too. They're a great way to get around. Aside from the Dublin HOHO which we missed, we loved the London bus. :)

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Didn't read every post but would love to know how the weather in London, Wales and Scotland is in April. We will be on Tour from April 13 through the 21. Would love to know what to pack. Thanks for any help.

Hi Ives,

I truly cannot pinpoint what it will be like, which is why everyone says to pack "everything" or "layer, layer, layer". It may rain, it will be pretty windy, and you may also have sun. Your best bet is to pack basic pants, long sleeved tops, a vest or light jacket, and then a waterproof jacket with hood. If it warms up, you can tie the jacket around your waist. The weather will most likely be all over the place. Never cold enough for gloves, I thought, but windy and sometimes drizzly enough to need layers. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Emily,

Regards.

Dave

Just in case anyone's interested: Oceania Cruise Lines does a British Isles Cruise. Their ships are around 700 and 1250 pax. We're on the "Isles & Fjords"

cruise this summer.

Would anyone happen to know a port site for Leith, Rosyth, or So. Queensferry (near Edinburgh) that will show what ships are docking/anchoring there in July?I'm having trouble finding that info, and there seems to be a little discrepancy on Oceania's web site regarding where we'll end up.

Edited by roothy123

Didn't read every post but would love to know how the weather in London, Wales and Scotland is in April. We will be on Tour from April 13 through the 21. Would love to know what to pack. Thanks for any help.

We live about 5 miles from Greenock as the crow flies, and it was great to see the pictures of that day, particularly the ones from the bow towards where we are . To get some sunshine was a bonus!

The weather in April across the UK can be anything from cold with overnight frost, to pleasant Spring sunshine, although probably not shorts and T-shirt stuff. In Scotland, I do think there has been a tendency towards better weather in April and May than the rest of the summer recently, but at the end of the day it's just your luck!

I am so happy I came across your trip report. I was on here debating 3 different cruises. Your sharing of the Belfast Titanic sold me, I plan to book this cruise for 2014 when they open up later this month.

My DH has always wanted to see Loch Ness, but the clincher is the Titanic connection. One of my DDs is a big Titanic fan. She is only in 3rd grade, but did a very large report on it. She will be very excited to see that museum.

Thank you so much for your report. You have a clever way with words that kept it very interesting, and very enjoyable.

I am so happy I came across your trip report. I was on here debating 3 different cruises. Your sharing of the Belfast Titanic sold me, I plan to book this cruise for 2014 when they open up later this month.

My DH has always wanted to see Loch Ness, but the clincher is the Titanic connection. One of my DDs is a big Titanic fan. She is only in 3rd grade, but did a very large report on it. She will be very excited to see that museum.

Thank you so much for your report. You have a clever way with words that kept it very interesting, and very enjoyable.

That's great! You will love it! If you'll be on a route that has Inverness, you can still do Loch Ness. But the Titanic museum is right there next to the ship (however, a cab ride across) and is so much fun to walk through. There were schoolchildren there when we went and they seemed to enjoy it. It is VERY interactive, so your daughter can watch videos, listen to music, touch things, etc.

Have fun!

Thanks for your review. I plan on surprising my husband with this trip for our 20th anniversary, July 2014. I will bring the kids though. They will love it!

That is one lucky husband! It is an amazing itinerary! There seems to be something for every age. Kids and teenagers seem to find the castles very cool and there are always fun gift shops in the towns to wander through. Enjoy!

I am on the August 16th, 2013, Great Britain cruise. After reading through your wonderful musings, I decided to buy tickets for the Titanic Museum. I just couldn't get excited about Belfast, and we are doing the Military Tattoo the night before, so I was going to just stay on the ship. But, darn it, that didn't seem right, either, to travel that far and stay on the ship. I looked at the Titanic webpage and am now excited about it. Plus, I don't have to get up early, after going to bed after 2 a.m., and can still see something fantastic. I appreciate so much that you took the time to write about all of this. :)

I am on the August 16th, 2013, Great Britain cruise. After reading through your wonderful musings, I decided to buy tickets for the Titanic Museum. I just couldn't get excited about Belfast, and we are doing the Military Tattoo the night before, so I was going to just stay on the ship. But, darn it, that didn't seem right, either, to travel that far and stay on the ship. I looked at the Titanic webpage and am now excited about it. Plus, I don't have to get up early, after going to bed after 2 a.m., and can still see something fantastic. I appreciate so much that you took the time to write about all of this. :)

How wonderful! You will probably be able to do the whole museum in 2 hours -- 3 if you take your time. No need to wake up early for it. Cabs are near the ship all day and it's a 5-minute ride or so. Their Facebook page is filled with all sorts of neat photos and things going on at the museum. :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this awesome review. We are leaving on this trip this Saturday for the May 12th trip. I was curious what type of shoes your husband wore. We're they Columbia walking boots? I know you posted that you brought those but I wasn't sure if it was just for you or for both of you. Right now he just has a pair of Nike running shoes and I'm not sure that is enough. Do you think we need a pair of rain pants? Or would jeans be enough. Thank you!!

Edited by LauralynneUSC

Thank you so much for posting this awesome review. We are leaving on this trip this Saturday for the May 12th trip. I was curious what type of shoes your husband wore. We're they Columbia walking boots? I know you posted that you brought those but I wasn't sure if it was just for you or for both of you. Right now he just has a pair of Nike running shoes and I'm not sure that is enough. Do you think we need a pair of rain pants? Or would jeans be enough. Thank you!!

was just getting to refer emily's review to others for our upcoming brit isles trip when i saw your post - emily just left yesterday with her mother on the coastal cruise to vancouver - not sure if she will be reading this on her cruise

we are just taking umbrellas and weatherproof windbreakers - i wear "old lady" SAS black leather tie shoes - can walk forever in them - jim wears tennis shoes - we do not climb hills - take elevators and escalators taxis whenever possible - we do take walking tours but rest in between but then we are 35-40 yrs older than emily & mike:eek:

We just got our leave dates approved yesterday and booked this cruise for July. As in 63 days from now, July. Your post has been a veritable font of wit and information. Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough and entertaining review. I have spent the past few days copying and pasting like a maniac. I really appreciate the leg up in the planning department, profiting from all your hard work and what not. 2 months is not a lot of time to plan for something this huge, so I am glad I can benefit from the cruisers that have gone before me. Now to order a red binder on Amazon. They have fast shipping to an FPO address.

Fair winds and safe travels.

Edited by TDS549

We are booked on the July 11, 2013, British Isles cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Emily's posts. :) We will be travelling with our son & 8-year-old granddaughter. She's excited about seeing castles. We have reserved tours through Princess but have reconsidered one or two after reading Emily's post. What a great job in her descriptions. We are doing two nights in London before boarding the ship & are very much looking forward to that. Anyone else booked for July 11 on the Caribbean Princess. Would love to hear from you. Get more excited about the trip every day (I was in London last in 1970, my husband in 1960), so we are really looking forward to seeing it through the eyes of our granddaughter. :)