LHR Hotel?

We are arriving at LHR Terminal 3 and need a hotel for one night convenient to the airport as we need to return the next day to catch transfers to the ship in Southampton. DH and I have some mobility issues so our priority is convenience of getting there.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Auntdot

There is a Hilton right at the airport.

Keith

Thanks for your quick reply, Keith. If we arrive at Terminal 3 (and supposedly get picked up by Princess there the next day) is it easy to get to the Hilton? I thought it was in Terminal 5?

Maybe we are better to try and get to the Hilton and get Princess to pick us up at Terminal 5? or 4? from my memory of LHR it's a long way between terminals, requiring shuttles etc?

Thanks,

D

Hilton is connected to Term. 4 by covered overhead walkway. Free shuttle to Term. 5. Other Terms. reached by riding Heathrow Express train (free within airport). Hilton is very convenient.

auntdot, are you planning on going into London at all? Because it occurs to me that, if you take the suggestion to stay at the Hilton Term.4 and travel there via Heathrow Express, you might as well take the HEX all the way to Paddington and stay at the Hilton there, and see some of the city. As I believe Princess has a transfer to Southampton that leaves from Victoria, it would just be a matter of taking a taxi there from Paddington (which should be no more than 10 pounds).

It all depends on your flight - are you on the morning flight from YYZ arriving in the evening, or on an evening flight arriving the next morning? In the former case, it probably isn't worth it to go into London; in the latter case, it certainly is, as you'll have plenty of time to see something.

There are two Hiltons at Heathrow, Hilton Terminal 4 and Hilton Terminal 5. The Hilton Terminal 4 is one of the most expensive hotels in and around the airport because it is connected to Terminal 4. The Heathrow Express runs every 15 minutes from beneath Terminal 4 over to Heathrow Central (5 minutes on the train) then its a 10 minute walk up to Terminal 3.

Most people using Terminal 3 would opt for a hotel on the Bath Road. The Sheraton Skyline, Marriott Heathrow and Renaissance are probably superior as hotels to the Hilton Terminal 4 but cheaper as they are on the airport perimeter. Hoppa Buses run every 20 minutes directly from these hotel to/from Terminal 3 and charge 4 GBP but you'll still save a mint over the Hilton normally.

The other advantage of a hotel on the Bath Road is you can escape your hotel prices for food and drink from a McDonald's to some pubs to an Italian.

If you are looking after your pennies there is an Ibis here also which is fine, a no frills budget hotel with restaurant and on-line you should pickup a room for abot $US70.

Thanks, Twickenham and Handfordr.

We are flying on the day flight from YYZ - that's why we are looking for a convenient airport hotel. I am trying to find the simplest option so that we don't have to drag suitcases forever. We have to be back at Terminal 3 by 9:30 AM the next morning to pick up the transfers.

We have been through Heathrow twice before and I swore 'Never again'! But here we are! With Special Assistance, my husband gets to ride, but I am left hauling luggage and trying to keep up wherever they don't have one of those electric carts! And then to be getting on and off Hoppa buses all seems so challenging for us!

We are currently thinking about the Sheraton - or any hotel that is closer - as we have to leave Terminal 3 to get to a hotel anyway, so the Hilton at Terminal 4 doesn't really help us. I guess we will need to plan to leave the hotel no later than 9:00 AM to get back for the transfers.

This is the part of travelling that makes it so tiring! I can hardly wait to get on the ship with all those sea days!!!!

I appreciate all the help and suggestions here on CC! Thank youi!

Dorothy

We are flying on the day flight from YYZ - that's why we are looking for a convenient airport hotel. I am trying to find the simplest option so that we don't have to drag suitcases forever. We have to be back at Terminal 3 by 9:30 AM the next morning to pick up the transfers.

We have been through Heathrow twice before and I swore 'Never again'! But here we are! With Special Assistance, my husband gets to ride, but I am left hauling luggage and trying to keep up wherever they don't have one of those electric carts! And then to be getting on and off Hoppa buses all seems so challenging for us!

We are currently thinking about the Sheraton - or any hotel that is closer - as we have to leave Terminal 3 to get to a hotel anyway, so the Hilton at Terminal 4 doesn't really help us. I guess we will need to plan to leave the hotel no later than 9:00 AM to get back for the transfers.

This is the part of travelling that makes it so tiring! I can hardly wait to get on the ship with all those sea days!!!!

Dorothy

Physically the closest hotel to Terminal 3 is the Renaissance, but the Park Inn, Radisson Edwardian, Sheraton Skyline and Marriott Heathrow are all clustered to gether and its the same Hoppa Bus that collects from all.

At Terminal 3 the Hoppa Buses leave from the small bus station which is only 50 yards from where you exit customs/baggage. You will have walked far, far further from aircraft to customs.

There is also a waiting room which is normally empty by the Hopp Bus pick-up area.

Hoppa Buses to get quite crowded though in the morning and Terminal 3 is I am afraid the short straw in terms of crowding, environment.

You can take a black taxi from the terminal rank to your hotel and by law they have to take you, but the driver will not be in a good mood having queued up for an hour to get a big fare into Central London.

Dorothy

We just flew in & out of T3 Heathrow with air canada from YYZ.

Less walking and more manageable then T5.

They have free luggage carts by baggage claim. Easy to load up cart & push out to taxis cued up outside door. no need to prebook. Sheraton Heathrow has someone just inside the door who will put your luggage on a cart & deliver to room. Easy & very manageable. buffet breakfast was good. there is a riding stair lift to get from lobby level up to restaurant. macdonalds across road. small coffee shop with light snacks, drinks by lobby. 45 mins. free internet on lobby computer.

it is not skyline one.

it cost about 10 GBP for 2 adults with 3 medium suitcases & 2 carryons. hotel arrange taxi-10 minte ride.

VAT-line up was outside the front of T3. opened door at 6:30am. checkin just inside front door near VAT. not a long walk to security or gates. nice shops & restaurants in T3. luggage carts free inside front door.

WOW! More helpful information! I think dog just convinced me that Sheraton Heathrow is our best option.

Thank you SO much for all the great advice, everyone!

Dorothy

:)

I just found it easy. We had noisy neighbours one out of 3 times, but otherwise I liked my choice.

next time I think we will go to Windsor since it was very close too. taxi from windsor was flat rate 25 GBP. lots to see & do in Windsor while nothing to do at airport hotels.

Hope all goes well for you.

Archived