Crediting Carnival time toward Mariner status

ScubaPirate

Wouldn't HAL be aware well ahead of the cruise just how many Mariners will be on board? They should be able to plan Meals etc from that, no?

Are the Embarkation Day lunches and Mariner lunches held in the MDR which seats approx 1/2 the ship?

Since you know the MDR can only hold about 50% of the passengers, when a ship can have over 90% of the passengers are Mariners, where do you propose HAL seat all these Mariners they know about well ahead of time??? :rolleyes: The time we encountered that high a percentage they used the advance warning to print invitations for the 3* and 4* Mariners.

90 percent Mariners is not a healthy ratio for HAL.

It means lots of repeat, but not enough 'new' customers.

That is one of the challenges with the HAL Mariner program. Everyone gets to be one, albeit at different levels, and a good number of those members expect a wonderful, 'exclusive' embarkation day lunch.

The math does not work!

We just got back from our first HAL cruise and were invited by the check-in agent to go to lunch in the dining room after boarding. We took a Carnival cruise back in January that gave us 1 star Mariner status. We never did get an invite to a Mariner's Brunch but we did have a nice dining room lunch on embarkation day.

90 percent Mariners is not a healthy ratio for HAL.

It means lots of repeat, but not enough 'new' customers.

That is one of the challenges with the HAL Mariner program. Everyone gets to be one, albeit at different levels, and a good number of those members expect a wonderful, 'exclusive' embarkation day lunch.

The math does not work!

While it is true, HAL often has a large number of repeaters on many cruises, there are also a fair number with almost a full ship of first/second timers. Our June 17 Oosterdam cruise had a tiny percentage of repeaters. It surprised us as that was the first time we had ever sailed wtih so few repeaters.

I agree it is a healthy thing for a company to have a good mix of established long term customers mixed with a good representation by newcomers.

DH and I don't care about Embarkation Day Lunch in MDR and I suspect we are not the only Mariners who never attend.

Just to revisit the original post, I believe it was a couple of years ago, I received an e-mail from HAL with a link to take an online survey asking how I would feel about getting credit on one line for days sailed on the other, etc. So, my impression is that they have been kicking that thought around for some time, but I have not seen or heard any further discussion since that time.

Since you know the MDR can only hold about 50% of the passengers, when a ship can have over 90% of the passengers are Mariners, where do you propose HAL seat all these Mariners they know about well ahead of time??? :rolleyes: The time we encountered that high a percentage they used the advance warning to print invitations for the 3* and 4* Mariners.

I proposed it because I didn't know that a ship can have over 90% of the passengers being Mariners. Never occurred to me. I've been on the Rotterdam waaaay back in 1975 and once again several years ago when I wasn't a Mariner.

So, ignorance of the Mariner facts. That's why I am here on CC;)

Archived