For those returning from Alaska..

ScotchCritic

What did you forget to bring? I am leaving in10 days and don't want to forget anything. No flight needed, live near Seattle. What are some things you wish you brought?

If you live near Seattle, then you're already prepared for the changing weather. Just take Seattle and make the temperature ranges even greater, and bring your layers.

Don't forget your camera, but don't burden yourself with electronic gear. Enjoy the beauty!

(ok, I know that wasn't a direct answer to your question, but I can't think of anything I forgot on our Alaska cruise. It's a wonderful experience!)

That's funny, I was going to say - leave them at home. We never used them. I think at this point, you probably need a heavy duty insect repellant.

LOL yeah thumbs up to the insect repellant (I suppose it all depends on what you're doing for excursions though :) )

That's funny, I was going to say - leave them at home. We never used them. I think at this point, you probably need a heavy duty insect repellant.

No not likely. Rarely are bugs any problems on the Inside Passage.

I would also never leave binoculars at home. I use mine all the time. :)

Figure out what your needs will be. :)

No not likely. Rarely are bugs any problems on the Inside Passage.

I would also never leave binoculars at home. I use mine all the time. :)

Figure out what your needs will be. :)

BudgetQueen, we are going from 7/1-7/8...R/T Seattle sailing through Glacier Bay. What are your thoughts about the insect repellant then? I HATE insect repellant but if it's a must, I will bring some.

And does anyone know of effective "natural" insect repellant...not something with a ton of hazardous chemicals in it?

Thanks!

BudgetQueen, we are going from 7/1-7/8...R/T Seattle sailing through Glacier Bay. What are your thoughts about the insect repellant then? I HATE insect repellant but if it's a must, I will bring some.

And does anyone know of effective "natural" insect repellant...not something with a ton of hazardous chemicals in it?

Thanks!

As I stated. You don't need the repellent on the Inside Passage, for the "regular visitor". This year- will be trip 31 to Alaska for me. Full strength Deet IS needed at Wonder Lake in Denali Park, even mainland Alaska has a lot of nonaffected areas.

What are your touring plans?? Are you going on extensive deep woods, miles and miles of hiking? I may hike a couple miles, I flightsee, boat tours. Only- if you have an extended daylong deep woods plan would I take any bug dope.

IF it is a case where bugs are a problem nothing but Deet is going to make any significant impact.

As I stated. You don't need the repellent on the Inside Passage, for the "regular visitor". This year- will be trip 31 to Alaska for me. Full strength Deet IS needed at Wonder Lake in Denali Park, even mainland Alaska has a lot of nonaffected areas.

What are your touring plans?? Are you going on extensive deep woods, miles and miles of hiking? I may hike a couple miles, I flightsee, boat tours. Only- if you have an extended daylong deep woods plan would I take any bug dope.

IF it is a case where bugs are a problem nothing but Deet is going to make any significant impact.

We are not going to be going into the woods all day or anything like that. We are hiking at Mendenhall Glacier (on our own, maybe a couple of miles), taking the train in Skagway and roaming around town in Ketchikan. We do hope to spend a lot of time on the balcony but my guess is that the bugs aren't out over the ocean :)

Thanks!

We actually brought 2 pairs of binoculars and I am glad we did. DH and I got to see some great wildlife while cruising the Inside Passage and even at some of the ports.

At Hoonah 2 years ago, my parents went ashore to go on a short charter to see the whales. They didn't see any but DH and I and everyone in the Spinnaker Lounge saw great whale activity. Then when leaving the port, the whales actually followed us for a short distance and all of this we would never have been able to see without our binoculars.

The Inside Passage afforded us the opportunity to see bears, rams (on the side of the cliffs, amazing!) eagles, otters, whales, etc. and all because we had our binoculars with us. We even saw people getting up during dinner and rushing to the windows to catch some of the great wildlife!

Enjoy your cruise and take plenty of memory cards for your camera/video recorder.

Deep Woods Off or Deep Woods Cutter's are the best.... and not sure where you were BQ but WE used to wear repelant to go grocery shopping... the noseeums are wicked....and they are out on the water too....as well as horse flies and deer flies...a light spray and you are good to go!!!

Scotch... all the years I lived up there.. weather is very similar to what we are having right now... cool and damp.... grey and cloudy.... plan for this and throw in a pair of shorts!

What did you forget to bring? I am leaving in10 days and don't want to forget anything. No flight needed, live near Seattle. What are some things you wish you brought?

Thanks to great advice from CC Alaska board in the months before the cruise we didn't forget anything.

Brought good binoculars, extra batteries for the camera and enough memory cards.

Waterproofed our shoes, canvas hat, and backpack

brought a small umbrella that we carried in our backpack on tours

had longjohns for really cold temps

had knit mufflers for around our necks and gloves for our hands

made sure we had meclizine (generic bonine) in case of choppy waters

brought meds, especially for possible colds: cough syrup, cold pills, aspirin

we didn't have a coffee traveler mug so bought souvenir one aboard ship

(that was really nice to have hot coffee/cocoa where we were)

I agree with those who say you won't be needing bug repellant. We were 14 days on the Amsterdam and took tours and went

sightseeing in every port. No bugs.

I also agree that binoculars are a necessity, one for each person. I can't imagine seeing Alaska wildlife without them.

We actually brought 2 pairs of binoculars and I am glad we did. DH and I got to see some great wildlife while cruising the Inside Passage and even at some of the ports.

At Hoonah 2 years ago, my parents went ashore to go on a short charter to see the whales. They didn't see any but DH and I and everyone in the Spinnaker Lounge saw great whale activity. Then when leaving the port, the whales actually followed us for a short distance and all of this we would never have been able to see without our binoculars.

The Inside Passage afforded us the opportunity to see bears, rams (on the side of the cliffs, amazing!) eagles, otters, whales, etc. and all because we had our binoculars with us. We even saw people getting up during dinner and rushing to the windows to catch some of the great wildlife!

Enjoy your cruise and take plenty of memory cards for your camera/video recorder.

Thanks I was thinking about getting another pair of binoculars which will take pictures...I don;t want to share with the DH. LOL

Archived