Balcony v French Balcony

Grandma Gilly

We are seriously considering a Danube river cruise next summer. I have been researching the many lines who sail this route.

I like the sound of Tauck or Scenic as these seem the most upmarket. I would welcome any information on either plus any comparable lines.

Can anyone please tell me which boats have full balconies and which only have the French ones. I think I would like a full balcony but not sure how much use I would make of it on a river rather than an ocean cruise.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks, Gill.

Can anyone please tell me which boats have full balconies and which only have the French ones. I think I would like a full balcony but not sure how much use I would make of it on a river rather than an ocean cruise.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks, Gill.

Read the detailed itinerary carefully to see how much time is spent cruising during waking hours vs cruising overnight or cruising during lunch, etc. I suspect that you'll find that there far fewer occasions when you will want to sit on a veranda than there are on a oceangoing ship.

For example, if I recall correctly, on the trip from Budapest to Regensberg we had, really, only one morning of cruising rather than being docked in a town. All other times, we were docked by the time we finished breakfast and didn't move until late afternoon, just before cocktails and dinner. There were a couple of days that we moved while we were having lunch, and so were at a new site for an afternoon visit - again, not much occasion for balcony sitting.

Since there is a much smaller passenger basis, you'll find the observation areas of the ship, the top deck and the inside lounge are much less crowded than on an ocean goer, so the need for a private veranda is a good deal less.

Also, since the most of the river goers are only a couple of decks high, and the river banks are sometimes almost as high as the vessel, you'll want to be on the top deck so you can see more than the river and canal banks and bulkheads.

Can you gather that I don't think having a sit-on veranda would be of much value to me? ;)

If cost isn't a concern then go with the balcony, (beware it may reduce your actual cabin space) I had a French Balcony on SS Antoinette Castles on the Rhine, it was nice for the fresh air but I found that I really didn't ever spend any time in my room. The lounge is so nice, never crowded, plus-- because the ships are so narrow you can see out both sides so you never miss anything on either side of the ship.

I agree with gisnered. We don't spend much time sitting in our cabin. If we are on board we are either in the lounges, dining or in our cabin sleeping. I'm sure the veranda is $$$$$ and we would prefer to use that for other trips. Of course everybody has their own idea of relaxation.

As others have pointed out, the width of the river boats is dictated by the width of the rivers and the locks the boats have to pass through. This being said, if any of the cabins have full balconies, that is space that is being taken from the floor space of the cabin. I would definitely look at the Cruise line web pages and look at the cabin floor plans. I would much rather have the space in the cabin than on a balcony that I probably would not use. I know on Avalon's newer ships, there are so many different places to sit, both inside and outside, that about the only time we were in the cabin was to sleep, take a nap, or get ready. If we were sailing, we were up in either the lounge or top deck. The scenery is too nice to miss and if you are in your cabin, you are only seeing one side of the river bank.

Actually, Scenic does have real balconies, and their sq footage is around 200 sq ft for these cabins.

We are happy with lowest category, so booked one of the few cabins that did *not* have a balcony, but many like the extra light.

Have not travelled with Tauck - but there are a number of loyal customers here on CC. Have travelled with Scenic - and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.

Have fun!!

Fran

if any of the cabins have full balconies, that is space that is being taken from the floor space of the cabin.

This is not true with ALL the cruise lines. Some of the newest ships (not all, however) do not take up cabin space. In fact, Scenic ups the anty with Sun Lounges that fully enclose the balcony making the usuable space in your room....larger.

You are correct with some of the other ships though...some do eat floor space.

Thank you for your input so far. It really is mind-boggling. I keep looking at the websites for each cruise line and although basically the same there are huge differences.

I can work out ocean going cruises easily, but maybe that's just experience.

Gisnered, where do I find information about sailing and docking times?

Gill.

Gisnered, where do I find information about sailing and docking times?

You will be provided with sailing times with your documents. Unlike cruise ships, they do not (at least AMA and Avalon do not) provide details of docking and departure times, but rather general info such as "morning arrival into ...".

There are factors that affect these times when traveling on the river that make them subject to last minute alterations.

You will be provided with sailing times with your documents. Unlike cruise ships, they do not (at least AMA and Avalon do not) provide details of docking and departure times, but rather general info such as "morning arrival into ...".

There are factors that affect these times when traveling on the river that make them subject to last minute alterations.

True. I know it sounds a little loosey-goosey, but timing is variable. There can be a delay waiting for a lock to clear, for example, or docking space to be sorted out. "Morning arrival" or "after lunch" is about all you'll get before the cruise - sometimes there is more accurate info the day before, but it always comes with the caution that timing may change. Not to worry - river cruising is all about taking time and savoring your experience. And they will make sure you have enough time to see the sights. If you dock late, you'll leave later.

I like the sound of Tauck or Scenic as these seem the most upmarket. I would welcome any information on either plus any comparable lines.

As far as recommendations for lines, I can't speak for Scenic, since I haven't traveled with them. Nor have I cruised with Tauck. I have, however, have taken several land tours with Tauck and I can't speak highly enough about each one. The experiences they provide are, as you surmise, more upmarket. Pre and post hotels will be a little more exclusive and luxurious, appointments in your cabin will be a little more luxurious, food will likely be more gourmet. Like most of the upper range of river cruise lines, they make sure that you have the opportunity to see all of the important sites in each port, and have time to experience the environment and, in some of the ports, Tauck will also include something that is unique and exclusive to Tauck. And you just have the feeling that they take care of you.

as Caviar girl said,,,cabins are longer on new AMAcerto..which I just got off..it has BOTH regular and french(so all wall is windows and makes cabin seem bigger).Worth every penny,,,IMHO>

Re....Scenic and Tauck...you ARE paying more,,for INCLUDED excursions,,see details in brochure. I usually only go on inc.city tour,,,but pass of extras(like concerts,dining in family homes,,etc) so DO NOT want to pay for it.

Have been on many of major lines,,,must first decide WHERE you want to go,,,then what cruise and ship provide what YOU want.Then read reviews,check ALL details,etc. Use TA that gives you money back plus discount(I got lowest price and 5% back on last one). Good luck with decision. PS..after taking this one,,would really prefer to stick with REAL balcony in future...:)

Archived