Port Everglades - Walk between Terminal bldgs

J&KCruiser

We are doing 4 different cruises in Jan 2013 and will need to switch between the Cruise Port Terminals. Right now I would guess that we will have to get from mid terminals to north terminals. Anybody with experence at this?

We will be switching from RCL to MSC then Princess. My expectations are the RCL will be mid terminal and MCS & Princess are North Terminal.

My guess is we will have 3 roll bags and are quite able to walk.

Thanks

John

Probably because of security they won't let you walk between terminals. I would talk to the cruise lines and see if you can arrange to get help to get other terminals.

You could end up having to go from the south terminal to north which means you have exit the area and walk to the other entrance before getting to the terminal.

I don't remember seeing sidewalks so you might have to walk in the street. It could be a couple of miles between the 2 furthest terminals. You won't have to exit through any port security entrances though. Once you're inside the port the streets all go through to each other.

It's really going to depend on which terminals each ship is in on a given day. Princess is usually at terminal 2 at the north end, but they also end up at various other terminals if they have more than one of their ships in. If the MSC is at 4 and Princess is at 2, then it's a simple walk across the traffic circle. Just be careful of traffic. The only RCI ships you know where they will be are the Oasis and Allure at terminal 18, which is about a mile walk, door to door from terminal 2 or 4. RCI also uses terminal 25 for their other ships (which I think actually entails disembarking through 22/24, at least did when we were there).

There isn't any prohibition that I have seen to walk from mid-port to north-port, and I have seen people walking in that stretch. I just think it's bad for your luggage to be draging along that kind of distance on those little wheels. The cabs have a $10 minimum from the port, and I think it would be a sound investment from mid to north port. Nothing says you can't drop the luggage off for the next cruise and then go for a walk around if you want the exercise and have some time to kill.

It's really going to depend on which terminals each ship is in on a given day. Princess is usually at terminal 2 at the north end, but they also end up at various other terminals if they have more than one of their ships in. If the MSC is at 4 and Princess is at 2, then it's a simple walk across the traffic circle. Just be careful of traffic. The only RCI ships you know where they will be are the Oasis and Allure at terminal 18, which is about a mile walk, door to door from terminal 2 or 4. RCI also uses terminal 25 for their other ships (which I think actually entails disembarking through 22/24, at least did when we were there).

There isn't any prohibition that I have seen to walk from mid-port to north-port, and I have seen people walking in that stretch. I just think it's bad for your luggage to be draging along that kind of distance on those little wheels. The cabs have a $10 minimum from the port, and I think it would be a sound investment from mid to north port. Nothing says you can't drop the luggage off for the next cruise and then go for a walk around if you want the exercise and have some time to kill.

I would love to avoid the Taxi route. We were in Port this past Jan with a day in between ships and took a taxi to the Hotel with posted rate of $10.00 until we are on our way and driver says $10 plus his required $5.00 tip. All to go 2 miles. He complained that at hotel he would then waste time waiting for next fare. The #$#% had people in taxi before he had our bags out of the trunk. The hotel bellmen said drive should not do that and we should have complained. We did nothing but now I do not want to use their service again and spread the word.

John

I would love to avoid the Taxi route. We were in Port this past Jan with a day in between ships and took a taxi to the Hotel with posted rate of $10.00 until we are on our way and driver says $10 plus his required $5.00 tip. All to go 2 miles. He complained that at hotel he would then waste time waiting for next fare. The #$#% had people in taxi before he had our bags out of the trunk. The hotel bellmen said drive should not do that and we should have complained. We did nothing but now I do not want to use their service again and spread the word.

John

Well, it does suck when you have taxi drivers like, but they are everywhere, not just in FLL. Situations like this are likely why there is a minimum fare, because a lot of people are going to places so close to the port. Going from one terminal to another should still at least provide the guy the opportunity to get someone else from there. At the very least, when you go to a cab, tell the driver where you are going and say you hope the $10 will be fine. Speak from the perspective of someone who knows what they are doing, and aren't an uninformed tourist, and you will likely be fine.

Like I said, I have seen people walking, but it's not a very pedestrian friendly environment. While there are sidewalks, they aren't continuous (some on the east side, some on the west side), and many cargo areas with quite wide entrances with lots of truck traffic. Not the place I want to make a principled stand against a bad cab driver.

You can walk from Northport to Midport...but with luggage and intermintent sidewalks...I would not recommend it.

If you are walking from Terminal 18 to Northport...it is not too long of a distance but again intermintent sidewalks

Taxi will charge you $10.00 (minimum charge) to go from Midport to Northport

John

What a terrible way for the driver to act! I am always aware of the issue of short hauls messing up the driver's profits (has to get back in line), so I generously overtip, but in this case I would not!

DaveOKC

Archived