Brilliance OTS, 2 June 2012 Trip Report - the Norway, no, Denmark, no, Norway Cruise

Still loving your wonderful review, looking forward to the remainder. You mention you walked to the ship from the Rail Station, we are getting on a bit and wondered if a taxi would be a better option, I assume it would be a very short journey. Would you give me an idea of the overall distance?

Still loving your wonderful review, looking forward to the remainder. You mention you walked to the ship from the Rail Station, we are getting on a bit and wondered if a taxi would be a better option, I assume it would be a very short journey. Would you give me an idea of the overall distance?

Hi, it's about a 15 minute walk, so probably less than a kilometre, with a bit of a climb. I don't know if a taxi would want to do the journey, it's so short. The alternative is one stop on Tram 26 which departs from in front of the station and stops directly outside the PTA.

Thank you so much for this review and your spectacular photos. We are heading off on Celebritie's Eclipse in 2 weeks and will be visiting some of your ports of call namely Geiranger (did you happen to get any feedback from anyone who did the HO-HO bus trip, wondering if it covers, as you suggest, the same areas the more expensive shorexs cover), Molde thanks for the informative description also I was very interested to learn the tourist information allowed your travel buddies to do the atlantic road by bus service) The jazz festival is on when we are there but I think I may rethink our plans to spend the day in Molde! And we go to Bergen too (i have visited Bergen before and think we will explore on foot unless yourreview throws up an interesting alternative.)

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it has been very informative and enjoyable

Edited by Cyberwolf

Thank you so much for this review and your spectacular photos. We are heading off on Celebritie's Eclipse in 2 weeks and will be visiting some of your ports of call namely Geiranger (did you happen to get any feedback from anyone who did the HO-HO bus trip, wondering if it covers, as you suggest, the same areas the more expensive shorexs cover), Molde thanks for the informative description also I was very interested to learn the tourist information allowed your travel buddies to do the atlantic road by bus service) The jazz festival is on when we are there but I think I may rethink our plans to spend the day in Molde! And we go to Bergen too (i have visited Bergen before and think we will explore on foot unless yourreview throws up an interesting alternative.)

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it has been very informative and enjoyable

I have the leaflet I picked up for the HOHO bus in Geiranger in front of me - the tickets are 180 NOK for adults and it goes Geiranger-Flydalsjuvet Canyon - Geiranger - Eagles Road, so from one viewpoint, back through the village to the other and back and so on. It is run by Geiranger Turbil & Taxi (www.geirangertaxi.no), who also offer other tours. e.g up to Dalsnibba, on their website. Tickets for the HOHO bus can be bought online from www.geirangerfjord.no, who also have a map of the route imposed over a wide photo of the fjord, so you can really see where it goes.

Have a great cruise!

David

One thing Molde does have going for it is a stunning panorama in front of it. Depending who you ask, and where you stand I assume, you are reputed to see over 200 peaks, many of them snow-clad summits. This made for another stunning sail away, as the weather remained kind. Again we had to pick our way to the open sea through various islands and then turn south to head overnight to our final port of call, Bergen.

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

A busy night on board. Immediately after sail away I had an appointment with the Loyalty and Cruise Sales Staff - the manager is a Romanian lady called Diana Junea (she is in the picture of the part on the helideck back in Feiranger), but I saw Elena, a German lady now living in Australia (but who prefers life on board ship!) She helped me pick out a Promenade Room for the Explorer 10 night Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Bayonne on 3rd December 2012. I knew I wanted to book this cruise, so it was an easy job for her, but she was very friendly and efficient. On the Brilliance (as other Radiance-class ships), the C&A Lounge is on deck 12, suspended over the centrum. There is a viewing window in the floor, which is worth seeing, even if you don't want to book a cruise!

The C&A Lounge - also a quiet place to sit when not open for cruise consultations

IMG_2425.jpg

After this (and a quick glass of champagne in the Diamond event), I made my way to the theatre for the 7 pm show, Tango Buenos Aires, featuring two professional tango dancers, Walter and Marcela, as well as the RC Singers and Dancers. As it happens, I had already seen this show, with the same company of tango dancers and musicians, on my transatlantic cruise on Grandeur, when it was so popular it was repeated in a matinee performance. It is a great show and I was happy to see it again.

The C&A 'Welcome Back' party was also tonight, in the Colony Club at 7.45 pm, so I called there for another glass of champagne (or two), before heading to dinner. It was the Italian menu tonight, and I had the antipasti and lamb shank (which was excellent).

And as if we hadn't had enough excitement for one evening, it was all rounded off by the Quest, back in the Colony Club at 10.30 pm. I had wondered how this would go, with the demographic of this cruise, but there were lots of teams who really got into the swing of it, and I thought Paul Lancaster, the CD, ran it pretty well. Without breaking the code, I can say I haven't seen anything quite like the judging of a "man with hairy back" round before...

And so to bed. Bergen tomorroww and the forecast for the world's rainiest place is...partly cloudy, 66 degrees. We'll see about that :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I have the leaflet I picked up for the HOHO bus in Geiranger in front of me - the tickets are 180 NOK for adults and it goes Geiranger-Flydalsjuvet Canyon - Geiranger - Eagles Road, so from one viewpoint, back through the village to the other and back and so on. It is run by Geiranger Turbil & Taxi (www.geirangertaxi.no), who also offer other tours. e.g up to Dalsnibba, on their website. Tickets for the HOHO bus can be bought online from www.geirangerfjord.no, who also have a map of the route imposed over a wide photo of the fjord, so you can really see where it goes.

Have a great cruise!

David

Thank you so much for that information. Looking forward to hearing about Bergen

Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed report David, love your pictures! We're on the same Eclipse cruise as Cyberwolf and will be visiting some of your ports. Was debating whether to do the Atlantic road but finally decided on the Troll mountain tour, from what you say this might be a better choice. Did you see the fjord center at Geiranger, is it worth a visit? Waiting for the Bergen highlights...

Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed report David, love your pictures! We're on the same Eclipse cruise as Cyberwolf and will be visiting some of your ports. Was debating whether to do the Atlantic road but finally decided on the Troll mountain tour, from what you say this might be a better choice. Did you see the fjord center at Geiranger, is it worth a visit? Waiting for the Bergen highlights...

We drove past the Fjord centre, but I didn't really see anything of it. I hadn't read great feedback, so hadn't prioritised it, and I can't remember talking to anyone who went, I'm afraid.

I can tell you where it is, though! In post #35, it's the building with the pale roof shaped like an arrow at the bottom of the last photo :)

Hello,

Just stopping by to say thank you for this review. We sailed the Brilliance a few years back and she was our favourite ship in the fleet. We are going to the Baltics on Vision later this summer, and I was hoping to get back on Brilliance next year for the fjords. I see that sadly she won't be doing the route next year, so we are deciding between the Vision and the AOS as they both have itineraries there in 2013. We will leave our decision until we onboard this year as we have always sailed the Med (warm climates, calm seas, blue skies and sun...). This will be a change, so want to make sure that everyone is committed.

I think your stunning photos will help my cause and the details of your time ashore will help in planning.

Looking forward to the rest of your review...

Really enjoying your review....we'll be taking a cruise to Norway next year , so looking forward to it.

How long is the hike up all the stairs in Alesund? Were you able to still explore the city?

Thanks

kim

Hi, absolutely. I checked timings of my photos and the climb took me less than 30 minutes, including stops for photos (and, coincidentally, rests :)) on the way up. It's right there in the park in the city centre, so it's part of exploring the city, not a separate thing.

Enjoy your cruise!

David

As I said, I had seen this show before on my TA on Grandeur last year. As it was a busy evening on board, I didn't have my DSLR with me this time, but I did take some photos of the show on the Grandeur, so I thought I'd post a few (it's the same company of dancers and musicians, as I mentioned). Great show.

TransatlanticCruise628.jpg

TransatlanticCruise649.jpg

TransatlanticCruise637.jpg

TransatlanticCruise662.jpg

TransatlanticCruise664.jpg

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

As I said, I had seen this show before on my TA on Grandeur last year. As it was a busy evening on board, I didn't have my DSLR with me this time, but I did take some photos of the show on the Grandeur, so I thought I'd post a few (it's the same company of dancers and musicians, as I mentioned). Great

TransatlanticCruise628.jpg

TransatlanticCruise649.jpg

TransatlanticCruise637.jpg

TransatlanticCruise662.jpg

TransatlanticCruise664.jpg

wow,

this is the best review ever,thank you very much:)

wow,

this is the best review ever,thank you very much:)

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but thank you. Very gratifying to have over 3,700 views and lots of lovely comments :)

Although I notice that LittleMissMagic has over 26,000 views for her current review of a 4-nighter on Monarch. Seriously, a 4-nighter on Monarch?!! I did glance at her review and, to be fair, she does have SIGNIFICANTLY more pictures of young women in bikinis than I do, though.... :D

Bergen at last! We arrived early, before 7.30 am, in this busy port, the second largest city in Norway. I had breakfast outside at the Windjammer and took in the views from the upper decks, before heading ashore after the early excursion rush. I found it hard to get my bearings from the ship, so, even though it is a spoiler for later, here's a panoramic view to help.

You will see the Brilliance moored on the right hand side of the photo, with two HAL ships for company (Rotterdam and Ryndam) - this is the "Skolten" cruise terminal area. Over on the left of the photo you will see a P&O ship (I think - I don't have a note to hand of who she is) berthed - this is the "Dokken" area. The rectangular area of water at bottom centre is the heart of things - here you will find the Fish Market and the world famous Bryggen Wharf. We had a slightly quicker walk to get there than one would from the other terminal, but only by a few minutes.

IMG_2496.jpg

In fact once I leave the ship, I discover we are parked behind a large industrial complex, and I don't need the help of my guide in Molde to translate what happens here....but don't worry, there is no smell!

IMG_2530.jpg

The signs here are not quite as sophisticated as in other ports, but they do the job!

IMG_2441.jpg

And for those who don't fancy the 15 minute (or so) walk, there were alternative transport arrangements, immediately outside the docking area. There were also maps and guides being given out as we left the secure area by the ship.

IMG_2442.jpg

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

:):cool:LET ME ADD TO YOUR 24,000 THANKS. YOU'VE DONE A SUPERB JOB. I'M ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR YOUR CONTINUATION ON BERGEN. WE WILL BE ON ECLIPSE THAT LEAVES SOUTHHAMTON ON JULY 7 AND REACHES BERGEN JULY 19. WE WILL MAKE NO PLANS UNTIL YOU REPORT ON YOUR TIME THERE. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL HAVE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE REST OF US. WE ARE NAMING YOU THE NEW FROMMER.

:):cool:LET ME ADD TO YOUR 24,000 THANKS. YOU'VE DONE A SUPERB JOB. I'M ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR YOUR CONTINUATION ON BERGEN. WE WILL BE ON ECLIPSE THAT LEAVES SOUTHHAMTON ON JULY 7 AND REACHES BERGEN JULY 19. WE WILL MAKE NO PLANS UNTIL YOU REPORT ON YOUR TIME THERE. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL HAVE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE REST OF US. WE ARE NAMING YOU THE NEW FROMMER.

Yes David, I'm also waiting to hear about Bergen before firming up our plans:)

......Promenade Room for the Explorer 10 night Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Bayonne on 3rd December 2012.

Welcome aboard... I just booked the same cruise a couple of weeks ago.. .when you get settled in , please do drop on by the M&M Thread . .... in the meantime.. back to your review.... ... I just thought it to be a hoot that I am reading your review of Brilliance, as I was on her Sister Jewel a few years ago and I like that itinerary... and then you go and jump on my cruise... lol... .I look forward to meeting you in person after all these years .....

Edited by JJSMaine