QM2 Cabin Outlets

Barnacle Betty

I just cannot recall the different types of outlets in the cabins. I know outlets are available for US appliances but which type of European outlets are available? UK or mainland Europe or both? My daughter is bringing a curling iron that was bought in Germany for use on the ship and in Portugal so wondered if we need a UK adapter for the ship.

Many thanks.

At least on QM2 and QV (so should be QE also) it's US and UK.

Roy

Roy, thanks but wondering if there's the continental European (two round pins) outlet avail.

More intriguing is your upcoming cruise plans, if you don't mind me asking. The northern atlantic itinerary does that call in Greenland? You have other great itineraries that look point to point with continued travels. I am much that way with cruising, generally not a cruiser but love being at sea and reaching places more difficult by other means. Strangely Enchantment of the Seas is on your list with all those Crystal cruises? Must be the Baltimore port advantage. I have been on Enchantment a repo to Panama before they homeported it in Baltimore. It was fine, I hope you got the Royal Suite, but there's no butlers on RCCL nor can you get a bar setup :(

I recall my QM2 stateroom having two British 3-pin 220V outlets and two American 2-pin 110V outlets. No Continental outlets.

I brought along my British adaptor to use on my dual-voltage laptop charger. 220V charged up that baby a lot faster than 110V.

I recall my QM2 stateroom having two British 3-pin 220V outlets and two American 2-pin 110V outlets. No Continental outlets.

That is what I remember as well, although to make sure I had to check (advanced years, my memory isn't what is was :( )

They can be seen in this photograph:

QM2 BALCONY CABINS decks 4, 5, 6.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend taking a power strip with you - the sockets are positioned so close to the top of the desk that certain chargers just will not go in. This was a tip I picked up of CC before my first trip on QM2, and have just taken one again. Certainly my camera charger would not have fitted into the socket shown. :rolleyes:

Roy, thanks but wondering if there's the continental European (two round pins) outlet avail.

More intriguing is your upcoming cruise plans, if you don't mind me asking. The northern atlantic itinerary does that call in Greenland? You have other great itineraries that look point to point with continued travels. I am much that way with cruising, generally not a cruiser but love being at sea and reaching places more difficult by other means. Strangely Enchantment of the Seas is on your list with all those Crystal cruises? Must be the Baltimore port advantage. I have been on Enchantment a repo to Panama before they homeported it in Baltimore. It was fine, I hope you got the Royal Suite, but there's no butlers on RCCL nor can you get a bar setup :(

I've never seen the European outlets on a Cunard ship. I'm hoping you will not have a problem finding a UK to Europe plug adapter. One other little electrical tip although probably not related to your situation. Cunard TV's plug into a US-style duplex outlet, leaving a second plug available next to the TV plug. That's where I usually plug in my laptop.

My Northern transatlantic does not stop in Greenland this time. I'm happy with that; I did the same itinerary in 2006 with a stop there and IIRC there's enough there for 1 or maybe 2 visits but it's not a destination to visit again and again. We do have 2 stops in Iceland, overnight in Rekjavik and also Akureyri on the northern coast. There are about 60 on our roll call with 8 of us going over on QM2, including a few first-time-Cunarders.

Most of my Cunard crossings are primarily transportation, although never can they be called "just" transportation. Next spring is an exception. I think London may be a little bit closer to Japan than Baltimore, but it isn't a big difference. I actually booked QE several months before my Pacific crossing because I haven't yet been on QE and wanted to try her. The timing for combining that voyage with the Symphony worked very well even if the geography didn't.

You are right, it is the Baltimore advantage that has me booked on the Enchantment. I can step on a city bus from my street corner in the morning and have lunch on the Enchantment. This will be my third time on the ship. Compared to Crystal, Cunard, or HAL it falls short, but compared to making my own bed, cooking my own food, and looking out the window at the same back yard every morning it's heaven.

I've never had a butler. For me, the room and associated amenities are not that big a deal, and I'm actually in a D1 on my QM2 crossing. I prefer to be on the best ship I can afford.

Roy

Thanks to all,

It appears there is no continental Europe outlet so will bring a UK adapter plug. I just need to buy a new one, the one I have is falling apart....it could be a shocking experience :D

Looks like this is what I need, it is designed to accept several different types of plug inputs, including US and continental Europe.

universal-plug-adapter-travel-converter-43498n.jpg

I just cannot recall the different types of outlets in the cabins. I know outlets are available for US appliances but which type of European outlets are available? UK or mainland Europe or both? My daughter is bringing a curling iron that was bought in Germany for use on the ship and in Portugal so wondered if we need a UK adapter for the ship.

Many thanks.

I bought a little bag of adapters in Canada one time, about 10 bucks and it has all the combinations that you could want. I would not be surprised to find out that your daughter has such tucked away somewhere as she is a "traveller". Failing that any luggage shop in the states will have a UK 3 prong adapting to european. Also most ships will rent/loan you one if you are stuck.

My Northern transatlantic does not stop in Greenland this time. I'm happy with that; I did the same itinerary in 2006 with a stop there and IIRC there's enough there for 1 or maybe 2 visits but it's not a destination to visit again and again. We do have 2 stops in Iceland, overnight in Rekjavik and also Akureyri on the northern coast. There are about 60 on our roll call with 8 of us going over on QM2, including a few first-time-Cunarders.

Most of my Cunard crossings are primarily transportation, although never can they be called "just" transportation. Next spring is an exception. I think London may be a little bit closer to Japan than Baltimore, but it isn't a big difference. I actually booked QE several months before my Pacific crossing because I haven't yet been on QE and wanted to try her. The timing for combining that voyage with the Symphony worked very well even if the geography didn't.

Roy that all sounds wonderful. Greenland is one of those places on my bucket list. Oddly you can't fly direct from No. America, not even Canada. There used to be a weekly flight out of BWI on Air Greenland but it didn't last long. I guess it was a pretty unpopular route if they couldn't fill a plane once a week. Now the only way is flying via Copenhagen or Rekjavik. Faroe Islands are on my list too but I think will do a landbased trip there as there's quite a few islands to explore.

Love your one itinerary taking QE to Southampton then you fly to Japan then take Symphony EB? I did a round the world trip last year but unfortunately I couldn't take alot of time off work that would be required to do a portion of it by sea, so it was all by air. Cruising by air is not quite the same thing :D

I've never seen the European outlets on a Cunard ship.

Our cabin on QV a couple of weeks ago had several European outlets. This may not be the case in all cabins aboard. I can't remember if it was also the case on QE last year but will check the photos if I get around to it. This is obviously no use to a QM2 traveller but might be useful for future reference.

Beware UK to continental adapters. Some designs have a bottom outlet and as others have pointed out, the solitary 3 pin outlet is so close to the top of the dressing table that some phone and iPod chargers will not go in without fouling the table.

Try to get a "striaight out" adapter or else get a UK to European power block. They are available very cheaply on Amazon.

I would recommend taking a power strip with you - the sockets are positioned so close to the top of the desk that certain chargers just will not go in. This was a tip I picked up of CC before my first trip on QM2, and have just taken one again. Certainly my camera charger would not have fitted into the socket shown. :rolleyes:

Brilliant tip... Looking at the picture, my MacBook power unit will not fit in the US socket for sure, unless it goes in upside down, but can often fall out... And the UK one is debatable...

I will purchase a small power strip before going.

Brilliant tip... Looking at the picture, my MacBook power unit will not fit in the US socket for sure, unless it goes in upside down, but can often fall out... And the UK one is debatable...

I will purchase a small power strip before going.

I always carry a strip but have seen on other lines that they solve the problem by inverting one of the sockets. Simples!!

I just purchased a multi-outlet strip from Amazon...Four outlets and a USB port. It is dual voltage, so although it came with a US three prong plug, I can put the adapter on it and use it in Europe/UK. EM

I always carry a strip but have seen on other lines that they solve the problem by inverting one of the sockets. Simples!!

Indeed, I will learn from the master... :)

However, you would have thought it would have been some sort of design decision, to take into account, maybe some better placement of the outlets/sockets for use with varying equipment.

I am planning to leave a small holdall at the crew hotel in New York after I arrive with clothes and a few bits and bobs that I don't want to take on the rest of the trip with me for the next couple of weeks, so I can leave the power strip in the bag at the hotel too.

Thanks again for the tips.

Archived