QM2 - Theme nights - First Timers

downundermatt

This is our first Cunard Cruise, and we are travelling from Australia to join QM2. Obviously we have our clothes sorted but am confused about the theme nights - Bucaneer Ball/Masquerade Ball/Royal Ascot Theme. Is this for dinner and afterwards ? Given our baggage allowance I don't know what accessories I can take from Australia - are they compulsory - can I buy things on board ?

This is our first Cunard Cruise, and we are travelling from Australia to join QM2. Obviously we have our clothes sorted but am confused about the theme nights - Bucaneer Ball/Masquerade Ball/Royal Ascot Theme. Is this for dinner and afterwards ? Given our baggage allowance I don't know what accessories I can take from Australia - are they compulsory - can I buy things on board ?

The balls or theme nights normally take place on formal nights after dinner. They tend to start at 9.45 or thereabouts. There is really no need to dress up specially for any of them and a lot of people just go along in their normal formal wear and fit right in. if you want to bring a small hat/fascinator for the Ascot Ball you can or maybe a mask for the Masquerade but there is no need to go over the top.

The theme night only applies in the Queens Room where the various balls take place. It isn't a dress code that gets enforced, even in the Queens Room. And I've never seen anyone go to dinner dressed as a pirate or wearing a mask.

I guess it's an attempt to be festive. I think they're silly, but that's just my opinion. Participate if you want to, but don't feel you must.

They might have a hat making class during the day for the Ascot Ball. Mom made a nice one with supplies they had available. The funnier the better for the judging. Have fun!

Last time I wore my Groucho glasses and nose for the masked ball. I made the finals!

We are booked on the Christmas cruise on QM2. We have some fantastic Venetian Carnivale masks that we would love to wear. Now hearing what people are saying about the mask ball, I now think we may look a bit silly wearing a mask to a mask ball given most passenger don't bother. We hate to stand out of the crowd as the only few people who made an effort. What percentage of people actually plan for this event?

We are booked on the Christmas cruise on QM2. We have some fantastic Venetian Carnivale masks that we would love to wear. Now hearing what people are saying about the mask ball, I now think we may look a bit silly wearing a mask to a mask ball given most passenger don't bother. We hate to stand out of the crowd as the only few people who made an effort. What percentage of people actually plan for this event?

People do bring masks, and the ship sells them, or at least they have in the past. If you can pack them safely, take them. Things tend to be a bit more festive for a Christmas cruise, so go for it!

Mom & Dad also had a masked ball evening, I had 2 masks made out of feathers and they wore them for the ball (I'm sure Dad only wore his a very short time) but they did participate and Mom said there were several beautiful masks for the 'parade'.

I took a (carefully chosen and carefully packed) fascinator for the Ascot Ball this week.....we were on second sitting and I didn't see any of the first sitting passengers wearing any headgear so chickened out of wearing it despite wanting too . Needless to sayas soon as I was seated in the Commodore Room for pre dinner drinks I saw several people with various hair adornments and regretted not wearing it........go with waht you feel

Archived