Life on Board (more questions)

mcrterry

I'm kinda confused. We looked at the Thomson brochure but booked via their own cruise competitor (cheaper) but now on the website I can't find our holiday 31/7 Souks and Sangria, also it now says the last port is Ibiza and not Vallencia. Anyone shed any light?

Another question. We have not booked A.I as at the time I thought £450 for 3 of us didn't seem worth it but now I'm wavering. Is there an option to book this on board or have I missed the boat (terrible pun very much intended).

Last question (for now). Our daughter is 11 so is worried that the she is probably too old for the children club as she is on the cusp of the upper age group and is worried she will be bored / have no playmates etc. Anyone have relevant info or experiences?

Thanks once again.

I do know that you can't book AI onboard, sadly. £450 for 3 doesn't sound too bad but you're unlikely to get it at that now so pitch your expenses against what they are charging now. We don't drink a lot so we never spend as much as AI is charged and booking 12 months in advance costs a lot more for the cruise itself than just a few weeks before departure. So it's always a balancing act. We are off ship most of the day when in port but we do notice a lot of AI passengers stay on ship to "make the most of it".

There should be a lot more children than usual when you are going so I wouldn't worry. Generally when we go there are very few so there is a wide age range in the childrens club. Last year we sailed from Palma on 12/7 and there was quite a lot of children around 10 or 11 and the childrens club was quite lively around the pool. Worry not.

You could phone up re the itinerary. We had a change last year from La Spezia to Livorno forFlorence which we weren't best pleased about as we only found out at the welcome meeting. We had planned a diy trip and luckily didn't book anything off ship in advance, still going to Florence was fantastic and was the best day of the cruise.:)

Jan,

Thanks for your reply and the solid information. For a little guy I can shift some booze (or so my family and friends tell me) but like you I thought if we are out all day why bother. Equally I wouldn't be hammering it at night knowing theres probably an early start the next day.

I also have concerns that teenage boys will be bored_ 16 and 14? anyone have any experience of how they amuse themselves on board ( clean only!:)!)

Lol, having been there I can honestly say that being bored is in the job description of 14-16 year olds. Still, they always find plenty to do and usually end up staying late in the disco with the other teenagers as well as the late night burger and chips in the Beachcomber. I doubt very much they'll be served alcohol as I would think that it will show up on their cards that they are underage so you won't have that worry. I'm not really sure how it works with the cards and whether you can deny them access to your onboard account. As you are off ship most of the day you've only got the evenings to worry about. They quite like the freedom of being able to get away from their parents whilst still being in a safe and secure environment and can wander about the ship on their own. Just a few observations from my cruises as I didn't take our teenagers on ships in those days.

Hopefully someone with experience will post and be a better help.:):)

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

My teenage son really enjoyed the new netted football are last time we went, he was 13 then. He didnt go to the teens club but my daughter made lots of friends at hers. We're going on 31st July and they're now 17 and 13.

Regarding AI we've never bothered and drinks aren't much different from regular bar prices. We have been known to buy wine in port and bring back to cabin - wonder if this is still permitted?

"Cheers" Jan ;)

Claire

Oh! for a holiday, lol. Nothing doing for us until September when we're doing a week in London with a couple of visits to the Paralympics and then off to Greenwich, Hampton Court and Windsor Castle. Definitely looking for some winter sun after that.:)

Jan

We're back!!!! got to beat RR to the forum..... I think! Any questions fire away I'm sure between us we can answer them for you.

Fab two weeks by the way... hot sunshine and temps over 30 degs every day...why did we bother to come back to this!! :)

Washing on the go as I type..Mrs RR is baby sitting already :eek:

Can't believe how much my hair got sun bleached :p

I must thank JW and Mr John and Mr & Mrs Mallorca chap/ess for the company and wish I was 20 years younger Jen :D

Glad you are all back safe and sound and had a excellent time. Just a couple of question to ask at the minute, I will think of some more later, when did you do the lifeboat drill, was it on the day at sea or before you left Palma? What refurbishment has taken place? We are going in 20 days time, can't wait:):) Oh just remembered, who is the captain, last time we were on the good ship it was Captain Piotr.:cool:

plus our shower had sheets of 'plastic' fixed over the tiling...plain white with a rough surface ...looked much smarter than the small tiles there before and obviously more hygienic as no grouting to harbour any germs! new carpet in cabin (which matched bed valance but not curtains!) as well and, I think, new drawer fronts! :)

Thankyou for the answers much appreciated. Sorry to hear that you had your purse stolen JW, we will bare that in mind when we are in Mallorca.

Please stick on some pics can't wait to see them.:)

https://picasaweb.google.com/jojuspics/IslandEscapeMed2012#

I think that's the link to my Picasa photo albums ....not sure I've done it right though!!! but you can try....I've just uploaded some stills I took with the video camera..you will notice they go uphill a bit cos I can't seem to hold it level!! :(

I'll try and get the camera photos sorted and uploaded as well over the next couple of days :)

Thanks Linda.....Yes fairly new we were there January 2011 and it wasn't there then...I'm still loading pics just put another 20 on and will do some more after I've made dinner!!! :)

It was a good itinerary ...its nice to get some new ports in the West Med and IE seems good at providing them!!! :)

Archived