Eastern Caribbean: Passports on shore excursions?

We will be on NOS out of Miami next year with ports as follows: San Juan, Nassau, St Thomas, St. Martin. Will we be required to take our passports with us when we get off the ship in any of these ports? Just wondering about what to do with passports when snorkelling or swimming. Thanks for any info.

Don't bring your passport or your ID!! If you loose them, you are going to have a very difficult time getting back into the US at the end of your cruise when you go through Customs!!! Not to even mention the threat of identity theft!!!

When you initially embark on the ship and check in, you will have to provide your passport or birth certificate and drivers license. You will also provide a credit card for all purchases on the ship during your cruise to be charged to. You will then be issued your SeaPass card at the check in desk. From there you will get in line for a picture to be linked to your card. Your picture will not appear on the card, but everytime you leave the ship and get back on the ship, you will present this card and it will be swiped through a machine. Your picture will appear on the screen and the attendant will confirm that it is you. Since RCCL has already verified your citizenship at initial check in and tied it to the SeaPass card, there is no need for you to validate your citizenship again until the end of the cruise when you go through US Customs at the pier.

The SeaPass card serves as your identification when you leave the ship and return to the ship. It will also be used whenever you make any purchases on the ship (including drinks, sodas, etc). Basically, you need to have this card with you at all times. You will see many threads on the boards about people's suggestions on how to carry them around (lanyards are very popular).

If you loose your SeaPass card, report it immediately at the Pursers Desk. They will void the previous card and issue you a new one. Very important as anyone is possession of this card can charge away!

I have had pier security asking for photo id as well as the sea pass card to verify that you are indeed the person whose name appears on the seapass card. The SHIP tells you to bring a phot id.. and if you have a passport as well as a DL, why would you have issues going through customs if you were to loose your aDL, but you have you passport?

I have had pier security asking for photo id as well as the sea pass card to verify that you are indeed the person whose name appears on the seapass card. The SHIP tells you to bring a phot id.. and if you have a passport as well as a DL, why would you have issues going through customs if you were to loose your aDL, but you have you passport?

We were never told you needed to bring additional identification. Remember, your picture will be tied on the computer to your SeaPass card. They will scan your card and view the monitor to make sure your picture will appear before you are let on the ship.So, unless you significantly alter your appearance while you are off the ship, they should not have any reason to ask for other identification. I would definitely ask before leaving the ship if you are required to bring additional ID.

I made the comment about drivers license because some people do not yet have passports, so the alternative method of proving citizenship is a birth certificate and picture ID, typically people use drivers license. Young children under the age of 18 in the company of parents do not need a picture ID.

Also, I have been in the banking industry for years, one of the biggest issues travelers face today is identity theft. One of the easiest ways for thieves to start the process is by getting ahold of your license or passport. It will take you months, maybe even years, to fix your credit if someone starts opening accounts in your name.

If you don't need your ID in port, I suggest that you don't take it. But, certainly check with the ship to see if they have any comment. I am sure the Excursion Desk or Pursers Desk can help you out.

A week ago, we needed our photo ID to get back into the pier area in Nassau. It was the only time during the trip that someone asked for it. I never take my passport off of the ship but I did take my driver's license.

Boatbunny, is correct in not having you take your original passport on the islands. Keep in your safe (if u have 1) on board. However, when we went to Nassau...twice, we were asked at the guard gate, for photo ID & when coming back through the gate to go to our ship. What we do is take a photo copy (in color) of our passports and I carry those with me in all ports. Including carrying my DL. Seems this has only happened to us in Nassau. Better to be safe than sorry.

I see Parrotgirl had the same problem.

As others have already stated, you present your passport or other ID when you check in. On most of the cruises I've taken, non-U.S. citizens (I'm Canadian) are required to leave their passports with the purser's staff at check-in. We get them back at the end of the cruise.

At each port, the local immigration authorities have to clear the ship before anyone is allowed ashore, which I guess is done based on the info the ship has on file. When going ashore, you always need your SeaPass card, and frequently they advise you to bring a picture ID as well. They cannot ask us for passports when we go ashore as the ship has them. (Otherwise, the passports have to be returned to us first.) We bring our drivers licenses and if we're going to be swimming, we put them in baggies in a water wallet to keep them dry.

SeaBaby

One other quick note about not taking any ID on ports of call - if you somehow miss getting back on the ship before it departs you may have a difficult time getting out of this country and being accepted in the new country or next destination. I would imagine, though, that the cruise line would miss this passenger and could perhaps assist in getting you to the next port of call. (don't know how far the cruise line will help)

Don't bring your passport or your ID!! If you loose them, you are going to have a very difficult time getting back into the US at the end of your cruise when you go through Customs!!!!

You're joking right? What happens if you miss the boat? Or are in an accident and need to stay on an island or be med-evaced out? What happens is the US gets attacked again like on 9/11 and everything shuts down?

You are a fool if you leave the USA WITHOUT your passport.

Trust me, I know.

Does anyone remember the incident of the couple that was stranded in Roatan without any ID? They went on their own personal excursion, had they watch set for Roatan time, not ship's time, and missed the boat. They were stuck there for a week until the U.S. consulate could establish definite ID of them. We take photo copies of our passports ashore. That's enuf for any U.S. consulate to ID you within reasonable time, and photo ID for any port authorities.

You're joking right? What happens if you miss the boat? Or are in an accident and need to stay on an island or be med-evaced out? What happens is the US gets attacked again like on 9/11 and everything shuts down?

You are a fool if you leave the USA WITHOUT your passport.

Trust me, I know.

I didn't say to leave the US without your passport, I recommended leaving it on the ship to avoid loosing it.

As for a medical emergency, I assume that you or a companion would have someone contact the ship at the port and explain what is going on. Keep in mind that as you are leaving the ship, your SeaPass card is scanned, the ship knows exactly when you leave the ship, it is scanned again when you reenter. So, before they leave any port, they can tell how many people and exactly who have not gotten back on board. Depending on the number of people, they hold the ship from sailing.

Do you honestly think that if you were left behind at a port and not seen on the ship again that the cruise line wouldn't be alerting authorities at the last port you disembarked to let them know that you didn't get back on? And do you think that they wouldn't assist in getting your passport and other items to you, especially in the event of a medical emergency? Come on now!

As for a 9-11 crisis, yes, the ship may be required to stay at the port, but you would be allowed back on the ship. Again, your SeaPass would be the identification for getting back on the ship, although I am sure that there would be increased scrutiny including possible body searches. Remember that all bags, camera cases, purses, etc. are put through a scanning device as you embark again. They won't even let a piece of fruit on!

If you read these threads, many people are concerned about the safety of their cash and camera while on excursions. Loosing your passport is not an easy item to replace when you are out of your country of origin. I am simply letting people know that the average cruise ship passenger does not need their passport as identification to get back on the ship (other than in Nassau as it appears I have learned from this thread). The SeaPass is the identification, why do you think RCCL processes your passport (or drivers license and birth certificate) at embarkation?

Obviously, if you have a medical condition and run the risk of a medical issue coming up while you are off the ship, then yes, bring along your identification as well as medical information that someone may need.

I am simply trying to help people avoid identity theft. One of my best friends who travels to Mexico on a regular basis for business had her wallet stolen . Because she travels regularly, she was always very cautious about keeping her wallet close. But, she must have been pickpocketed by an expert because it was hours before she realized that it had been stolen. By the time she called her credit card company, the thieves had charged over $10k. Her license was also in her wallet. She immediately contacted all of the credit reporting repositories to have a fraud alert put on her credit report. Didn't help all that much, over the next 6 months, her identification was used to open several charge accounts and over $100k was charged. She is still trying to get it straightened out 2 years later, and not to even mention her difficulty in trying to obtain credit because of the affect the fraud has had on her credit scores. And I do speak from experience with 22 years of experience in the mortgage banking industry and seeing many people facing similar issues.

Try looking at things from another point of view sometimes.

Karen,

We were just in those ports in February and did not have to have anything but our Seapass to get on and off the ship. We also had to check in and out of Labadee with our seapass, in fact I think security was tighter there than at some of our other ports.

You better leave the original copies of your drives license, credit cards and house keys at home. You might lose them too.

I'm an adult, and responsible enough not to lose things.

If you are looking for an argument, look elsewhere. There are those of us who post here in an effort to provide useful information for others to make the most of their vacation and share our experiences, good and bad. But it is done with the best of intentions.

And then there are those like you. Please don't waste our time with your invalid comments.

Thanks everyone for replying. I liked the suggestion of bringing a photocopy of my passport ashore, but leaving the original locked up in the safe on the ship.

If you got pulled over for speeding, would you show the cop a photocopy of your license or the real thing? Which would he accept? Your passport is intended to "vouch" for your citizenship in the event that you are left behind. The copy stays in your safe to help you replace the passport if you lose it. If you are left behind (and anyone wh thinks a ship will not leave you behind is seriously deluded), you would not be able to get to the next island (which often will be a different country) without your passport. A photocopy could be the result of an Adobe photoshop and proves absolutely nothing.

Your passport is not an instrument to get you back into your country. It is a document that confirms your citizenship and ensures that you will be given the privileges that your citizenship brings. On our recent cruise, our Canadian passports were taken from us but were given back to us before the first port. We were told that this is because the ship will not wait for us and we would need them in port.

Do you honestly think that if you were left behind at a port and not seen on the ship again that the cruise line wouldn't be alerting authorities at the last port you disembarked to let them know that you didn't get back on? And do you think that they wouldn't assist in getting your passport and other items to you, especially in the event of a medical emergency? Come on now!

QUOTE]

The ship and its staff are very clear in telling you that they will not wait. They pay enormous port fees and will not incur further fees because someone went ashore and is a bit delayed getting back. When we docked at our second port last month, there was a group of folks waiting to board the ship because they had missed the sailaway. They sure didn't look happy.

In a real medical emergency, I would think you will be busy dealing with the emergency and will not have the time to contact the ship but even if you did have time, I really doubt they would wait. Travel insurance usually caps the amount you ar covered at $500 to catch up to the ship and this will not always be enough to buy last minute tickets. I doubt they would cover it if it was non-emergency related too (you just didn't make it back on time because you lost track of time, for instance).

There was a post a while back about a woman who missed the ship in Roaton. She was confused between ship time and Roaton time. The ship and cruise company did very little besides re-stating that boarding time is the pax responsibility. She didn't have her passport and it took days and thousands of her own dollars to get home. Nobody on the boards asked why she didn't just show the photocopy of her passport. Everyone was very critical of why someone would allow themselves to be stranded in a foreign country without one and then would claim the cruise line was at fault (for not doing more to help her).

Again, I guess you just have to ask yourself whether you applied for your passport so you could travel or so you could return home with less paperwork.

QUOTE]

The ship and its staff are very clear in telling you that they will not wait. They pay enormous port fees and will not incur further fees because someone went ashore and is a bit delayed getting back. When we docked at our second port last month, there was a group of folks waiting to board the ship because they had missed the sailaway. They sure didn't look happy.

Did I say they would wait, NO! Read it again. If there is a large group of people they will hold the ship if they know they are on a RCCL excursion OR if they are NOT on an RCCL excursion and the tour operator contacts the ship, they will hold the ship and charge the tour operator for the port fees. But if it is only a couple of people, yes they will leave. But I am having a very hard time believing that they are going to ignore your requests to the ship to have your documents delivered to you. Now, are they going to charter a helicopter to deliver them to you at whichever port you were left at? I doubt it, therefore it is going to take a few days to get those docs back to you wherever you are, especially if the ship is scheduled to be at sea the day following your abandonment.

In a real medical emergency, I would think you will be busy dealing with the emergency and will not have the time to contact the ship but even if you did have time, I really doubt they would wait. Travel insurance usually caps the amount you ar covered at $500 to catch up to the ship and this will not always be enough to buy last minute tickets. I doubt they would cover it if it was non-emergency related too (you just didn't make it back on time because you lost track of time, for instance).

And I guess the hospital would do absolutely nothing to assist you while you are obviously dealing with the medical emergency. Not make a phone call to the ship? Again, is the ship going to be held, NO. But, I am sure that the cruise ship reps would make accomodations to get your documents and personal items to you as quickly as they can. Of course your response now is going to be, what if the patient is unconscious, so let's not drag this on.

There was a post a while back about a woman who missed the ship in Roaton. She was confused between ship time and Roaton time. The ship and cruise company did very little besides re-stating that boarding time is the pax responsibility. She didn't have her passport and it took days and thousands of her own dollars to get home. Nobody on the boards asked why she didn't just show the photocopy of her passport. Everyone was very critical of why someone would allow themselves to be stranded in a foreign country without one and then would claim the cruise line was at fault (for not doing more to help her).

Wow, I guess I've learned a lot from this. Hmmm, let's see, the Compass BOLDLY indicates on the front page what the local time is and to stay on ship time. As you disembark the ship, there must be at least a dozen signs saying the same thing, and on my cruise, there was a ship rep verbally reminding everyone as they departed. And over the ship loudspeakers as we docked and people were departing, they were announcing it again along with the final time to board the ship and last tender (if applicable). So, yeah, it was definitely the cruise ship's fault that she missed that boat! Hint, you are not dealing with a rocket science here who got left behind. Did I say to be completely irresponsible and not take the time to double check your plans will not turn into this situation? NO. And given she was the only one left behind, I'd be inclined to say that she not only was not on a cruise sponsored excursion, but she probably wasn't even with a reputable excursion company. There's a lot more to this story than her one sided "I'm a victim".

Again, I guess you just have to ask yourself whether you applied for your passport so you could travel or so you could return home with less paperwork.

Well, this one will send you over the edge, we don't have passports!!! Oh my gosh, I am completely irresponsible and only use birth certificates and a license. And before you go off on this one, yes I know that we do need them for travel to some countries by the end of the year.

But, I guess I won't be cruising anymore anyway. Sounds like I am most likely going to get stranded at the port if I only use my SeaPass card (like the other thousand plus people on most cruises). And, with all due respect aside, if there is another 9-11 type attack, I am going to be sleeping on the pier because I can't get back on the ship without my passport, even the the cruise line has issued me their identification requirement (after validating my documents of course). And if I have a medical emergency, I might as well buy a funeral plot on the island, cuz I'm never getting back. And since I don't pay attention to the important information the cruise line provides me with, I wouldn't have any fun anyway because I'd never know when to eat, go to a show, drink........

Sorry, I do try to only post with courtesy and helpfulness, but I felt the need to defend. By the way, don't bother with the rebuttal, I'm done with this one, not interested in an argument. I was simply trying to help the OP, and as others have stated here, they also haven't experienced the need to provide anything other than the SeaPass.

To the OP, have a great trip, you've certainly learned more here than you probably expected!

On previous cruises I have left my passport in the cabin safe. After reading this post and others I have been convinced to bring my passport with me on shore. My question is if I am sailing the eastern route do I need to bring my passport with me in San Juan or St Thomas? Since these are US territories would my driver's license suffice?

Archived