Taxicabs @ NYC Pier?

VickiD59

I posted this on the port boards, but judging how old some of the threads are, it doesn't look like my question will be answered anytime soon.

Are there cabs readily available outside the cruise terminal much like you'd find at an airport? Trying to figure out transportation for my sis'inlaw for when she gets off the ship. We have a bus for the majority of our group; she and a friend are the only ones not traveling in our direction, and a cab would work out perfect for them, IF.. as I mentioned, they were readily available. Thanks.

DH and I had a hard time getting a taxi when we debarked from the Triumph at the Manhattan port in October of '09 - we almost missed the check-in time for our 1:15 flight! :eek:

It was about 10:15 or 10:30 by the time we got off the ship and through customs, and there were very few taxis at the port. The line was long and slow moving. We finally got in a taxi around 11:30 and our driver rushed us to LaGuardia.

Maybe it's changed and gotten better since then, but if I were to do it again, I would book a private car to pick me up at the port.

After you go thru customs and you're exiting the terminal make sure you get a numbered ticket for a taxi. The person will be right outside the doors.

Depending on the day of the week the taxi's can be lined up or you might have to wait a while. We've experienced both. You can also take the elevator down to street level and hail a cab or car service on 12th ave.

It's a hit or miss, in the future we are going to call a car service once the ship is cleared by customs.

They won't need a cab to the airport; they'll need a cab back to Westchester county (New Rochelle). Originally my brother was going to pick her up, but will be driving down CT (two hours away). Without knowing exactly when they'll be outside, and not being able to pull-over and wait for her to come out, I thought it might be easier for them to do self-assist luggage and take a cab to the friend's house and have my brother pick her up from there. Easy-peasey :p

But... I needed to know if cabs were available before I suggested it.

It will be a Monday morning when we get back into NY - that's another reason I thought it would be best my brother didn't go nuts trying to drive in.. Monday morning rush hour traffic :eek:

i have heard stories of how taxi drivers drive around and about too get you too your hotel from the airports too jack up the cab fare. is it advisable too google the route and have it handy too make sure you dont end up on a '' sunday drive '' that is not nessecary? im from a small midwest town and use cab's rarely.

You would be better off setting up a local New Rochelle car service to come pick them up.

I would also set them up to meet on the North side of the West Side Highway (12th Avenue) and a few blocks up in the 50's.

NYC taxi cabs rates double for the Westchester County portion as soon as you cross the border to Westchester. Plus any tolls you may encounter.

From the NYC Taxi and Limosine website (NYC TLC)

Trips Beyond the City

For a trip beyond the limits of New York City, except Westchester or Nassau Counties, or Newark Airport, the fare shall be a flat rate (a flat rate is a definite amount fixed between the driver and the passenger at the start of the trip). This flat rate shall be negotiated prior to the trip and entered into the meter via the technology enhancements or TPEP system (when available) using Rate Code 5.

For a trip to the Westchester or Nassau County the fare shall be:

the amount shown on the taximeter which is calculated at the standard city rate within New York City and at twice the metered rate for the portion of the trip in Westchester or Nassau County. and all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger.

If the taxicab is equipped with the T-PEP system, the metered fare is calculated automatically by switching to Rate Code 4 when crossing outside the city limits.

WOW.. thank you for all that info; I knew I'd get faster answers here than on the port boards and I was correct. Still not sure what they should do, but at least I can give them some options. I just remember what it was like trying to find our limo/van the last time, which also happened to be on a Monday morning. He initially drove past the pier too early, then had to go futher south to get a turn around lane, and then head back further north to find another turn around lane. When we finally made it to the curb, he had just passed by again and we had to wait for him to do the turn around a second time. It took the better part of 40 mins with Monday morning traffic AND, as will be the case this time as well, three ships disembarking. That is what I was trying to spare my brother from, but two 65+ year old women, dragging luggage up and down 12th Avenue looking for a cab isn't gonna work either :eek:

There were no cabs when we got off the Miracle in May. It was a Tues morning if that makes a difference. Numbers were dispensed but someone said the cabs weren't notified to be at the port?

We decided not to wait and went down the escalator and then left out to the street.

arrange a car service. try dial 7's (212)777-7777 or try first class (212)304-1111 or go with a car service from the local area in westchester they are going to. also, the car service can easily pick them up right in front of the terminal. no need for them to go across or down 12th avenue. the port entrance is at 55th street and 12th avenue.

either pick up works, though I have found that the congestion in front of the terminal can be massive and if a car service is picking me up I have found it much easier to have them meet me on the other side of 12th Avenue and a few blocks up with the car facing north so that we don't get caught in traffic trying to make the loop by the cruise terminals around to head north.

This can be a bit of a traffic nightmare especially if more than one ship is in port or if it is weekday.

Archived