Senior Officers Cocktail Party

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi just wondered if anyone else attended the Senoir Officers Party on the 23rd May/5th June Med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. It was my first time being eligible to attend this party, as I have just reached platinum) and was quite excited about it. Particularly as the journey before (QV 27th March to Canaries) we passed the Queens Room as the party was in full swing and there was ice sculptures, lovely buffet with oodles of goodies and everyone in their finery. However, the party on the QE this May/June was at 11.30am (yes before lunch!) in the Commodore Club, and consequently the dress code was not formal but elegant casual. There was no buffet, just a few waiters walking round with trays of mini canapes, very few 'officers' and no speeches! The captain had to rush back to the bridge for his noon announcements, leaving us guests standing around wondering what was happening. I also saw a few lone passengers standing around and nobody even made an attempt to go say hello to them. All really rather disappointing. Another cost cutitng exercise? :(

Athough I have never cruised on the newer Queens, my experiences on transatlantics aboard the QM2 in 2011 and 2012 since achieving Platinum status are the same, except it was a formal occasion in the evenings. There was no introduction of anyone, no speeches - not even a welcome announcement - and many passengers and officers just stood or sat around. There were a few nibblies and the quality of the bubbly was better than at the "Gold and above" party. I don't know if it was real Champagne but it was better than the dreaded P.A.

I'd agree with David. On QE it's normally held in the Garden Lounge and is a fairly low key affair - there aren't many people at it because there aren't many who are qualified to attend. There is a reception line (and you can't avoid it like you can at the mail cockatoo party) but that's about it.

Was yours a fairly short cruise (less that eight nights)? I wonder if that's why they had to fit it into the afternoon.

Hi just wondered if anyone else attended the Senoir Officers Party on the 23rd May/5th June Med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. It was my first time being eligible to attend this party, as I have just reached platinum) and was quite excited about it. Particularly as the journey before (QV 27th March to Canaries) we passed the Queens Room as the party was in full swing and there was ice sculptures, lovely buffet with oodles of goodies and everyone in their finery. However, the party on the QE this May/June was at 11.30am (yes before lunch!) in the Commodore Club, and consequently the dress code was not formal but elegant casual. There was no buffet, just a few waiters walking round with trays of mini canapes, very few 'officers' and no speeches! The captain had to rush back to the bridge for his noon announcements, leaving us guests standing around wondering what was happening. I also saw a few lone passengers standing around and nobody even made an attempt to go say hello to them. All really rather disappointing. Another cost cutitng exercise? :(

We had this on our last 14 night Baltics cruise on QV. First time I had seen it for the morning. I didn't bother going due to me being a late riser and not fancying drinking for breakfast. Phoebecat (who may post her own experience of the party) also felt the same disappointment and informed me that I didn't miss much.

It is a shame that they have started to do this. I haven't been on QM2 but have heard of this happening on there but not on QV before. I think it is a shame because I can imagine it's not the same atmosphere. I have always attended the evening ones but I really don't fancy drinking at 11.30am and it's nice to be formally attired for these things.

Was yours a fairly short cruise (less that eight nights)? I wonder if that's why they had to fit it into the afternoon.

No, it was a 13 night cruise - and we had 3 full sea days between Barcelona and Southampton, including two concurrent formal nights! They held this on the day before we docked at Southampton! So disappointing....

I've known cocktail parties before lunch on occasions but the officers' parties have always been in the evening - both once they started the "Senior Officers' Party" and when each officer had their own party in their quarters.

It's a long time since I've been to one but I wonder if there is still the Wardroom Party and the Captain's private party.

I'd agree with David. On QE it's normally held in the Garden Lounge and is a fairly low key affair - there aren't many people at it because there aren't many who are qualified to attend. There is a reception line (and you can't avoid it like you can at the mail cockatoo party) but that's about it.

Somebody mailed parrots to a party????????? :eek: :eek:

I've known cocktail parties before lunch on occasions but the officers' parties have always been in the evening - both once they started the "Senior Officers' Party" and when each officer had their own party in their quarters.

It's a long time since I've been to one but I wonder if there is still the Wardroom Party and the Captain's private party.

Oh, you are such a Cunard insider!!! :D I loved the wardroom parties on QE2. All those wonderful plaques from maiden calls and other special events. I thought it was funny that the wardroom had inherited the big brown leather seats from the Queens Room--the officers get hand-me-downs! I know those chairs were a big deal design-wise, but I never found them to be comfortable.

I guess I've sunk to outsider status. Haven't been invited to the wardroom in many years.

I have found in the past few years that almost all of the Senior Officers cocktail parties are now held late morning, QM2 in the winter garden and I have found that is almost almost the busiest one, its a great way to get the Platinum and Diamond members together for a drink, nibble and meet the crew, speeches are never done and the Captain always rushes off to make his noon day announcement to the passengers, they tend to be very informal as well.

As Bkecky says above, we attended this. We had previously attended these on several past voyages and all were, without exception, glittering affairs, held either in the Garden Lounge on QE or the Winter Garden on QM2 or the Winter Garden on QV. All, with the exception of the QM2 affair were held on the final formal night and featured a HUGE finger buffet, ice carvings, a whole side of smoked salmon being carved before your eyes, lots of sushi and plates of delicious canapes, both savoury and sweet. There was champers and you could have whatever drink of your choice you wished for, if you didnt fancy the champagne, red or white wine on offer.

The SO party on QM2 was in 2009 on a back to back transatlatic and was held at 11.30 am on a Sunday. It was elegant casual and more like a very posh stand up Sunday brunch with rivers of champers. It was lovely and we spent a very happy time eating, drinking and chatting to all manner of crew and guests.

This one, on QV a month ago was a dismal affair. Never saw a canape, waiting half an hour for our drinks, the Captain didn't turn up and the number of crew and officers around was negligible. A real cost cutting exercise if ever I saw one.

Hubby wrote to Peter Shanks on our return mentioning this, the deplorable wine list, the lack of any decent champagne to order, the 'British Rail' style platinum pins, the hour wait in a queue to board due to the bridge collapsing and the total demise of the dress code on that particular voyage. Suffice to say,we haven't had a reply. What a surprise.

A washout on QV Panama Canal cruise in Feb also, no interaction between Guests and Offices, yes I did go up to a couple to chat, but to no avail.

The officers just stood in little groups and chatted with each other, never saw the Captain, but assume she was there.

Never been invited to a "wardroom " party on Cunard (though have been on Crystal)

Never been seated at a Hosted table for dinner either, unlike some of the "insiders" who on a 7 day cruise seem to be a different hosted table 5 nights in a row, if we believe their reports or blogs.

As Bkecky says above, we attended this. We had previously attended these on several past voyages and all were, without exception, glittering affairs, held either in the Garden Lounge on QE or the Winter Garden on QM2 or the Winter Garden on QV. All, with the exception of the QM2 affair were held on the final formal night and featured a HUGE finger buffet, ice carvings, a whole side of smoked salmon being carved before your eyes, lots of sushi and plates of delicious canapes, both savoury and sweet. There was champers and you could have whatever drink of your choice you wished for, if you didnt fancy the champagne, red or white wine on offer.

The SO party on QM2 was in 2009 on a back to back transatlatic and was held at 11.30 am on a Sunday. It was elegant casual and more like a very posh stand up Sunday brunch with rivers of champers. It was lovely and we spent a very happy time eating, drinking and chatting to all manner of crew and guests.

This one, on QV a month ago was a dismal affair. Never saw a canape, waiting half an hour for our drinks, the Captain didn't turn up and the number of crew and officers around was negligible. A real cost cutting exercise if ever I saw one.

Hubby wrote to Peter Shanks on our return mentioning this, the deplorable wine list, the lack of any decent champagne to order, the 'British Rail' style platinum pins, the hour wait in a queue to board due to the bridge collapsing and the total demise of the dress code on that particular voyage. Suffice to say,we haven't had a reply. What a surprise.

I don't like the new pins, either. What color are Platinum pins?

Phoebecat,

So sorry to read of the dismal experience you had, not suprised my own was just as much a washout in Feb.

Of course you do know that those of us writing about these "miserable" affairs will be told that "it was out own fault if we did not enjoy them" that others had a "wonderful" time!

There is no doubt in my mind that standards are being lowered on our favourite ships.

There were people playing cards in the Chart Room at that time also, and a group of 6 singing (???) raunchy drinking songs drowning out the harpist. again no action by staff

In the Britannia at dinner , the Matre"D "did not see" a couple (just ahead of me) in jeans , tank top /T shirt, on a Formal night no less. The "did not see" remark was the answer I received when I asked why they had not been stopped.

Do not think you will receive a reply to your letter to Peter Shanks, I never have. and its been 4 months.

I have to agree with "did not see " what a shame, and now, for anyone boarding in Southampton Ocean Terminal, there is a change, they have no idea what so ever of how to board passengers, gone was the way it used to be done, as a diamond member I had to take over myself, put my self in the right place and push forward,

They were just allowing anyone to board, the girls were shouting on the speaker but no, one listened, boarding cards were be hidden in front of us and anyone just boarded how and when they wanted, shambles.

Last June on a 3-segment voyage the Senior Officers' Party was held at 7:30 pm in the Queen's Room with lots of Officers there. I attended all 3 and was able to speak with several officers each time.

Boring the lot of them including the Captains welcome and any others.

I see no pleasure standing, and it is always standing, drinking suspect fizz and listening to the Captain, who is as bored as everyone else, deliver the same speech as he gave the last time we sailed.

We avoid now.

David

Boring the lot of them including the Captains welcome and any others.

I see no pleasure standing, and it is always standing, drinking suspect fizz and listening to the Captain, who is as bored as everyone else, deliver the same speech as he gave the last time we sailed.

We avoid now.

David

We go them and enter on the other door, avoid the poor captain, and order a G&T sit down at the side , but yes it is the same old same old, but the regulars love to be seen and heard as they enter.

... drinking suspect fizz

The SO party was the only one left where you could still order a branded spirit instead of the fizz and actually get it - rather than whatever the standard spirit was. Has that changed as well?

Whether one enjoys SO parties or not, I have always felt that the high visibility of senior officers around the ship, and formal events where they mixed with passengers on a regular basis, contributed to what has made Cunard distinctive from other lines. There is no doubt that culture is being eroded. As well as increasingly lacklustre attendance at SO parties, the number of hosted dining tables has steadily reduced over the past two years, from a regular 5 tables to now just the Captain's table (now shared with Deputy) and Hotel Manager's table (as of a few weeks ago). Penny pinching? Surely Cunard isn't in such poor shape that a few bottles of wine every formal night can't be afforded? The former culture of multiple tables not only offered more passengers the chance to mix with those who run the ships we so love and feel honoured by the hospitality, but also offered younger officers, sometimes even cadets, the chance to learn gradually as they shared tables, how to become gracious hosts and not just mix with salty sea dogs!

... or SO-SO parties :D

Thanks for the laugh!

I've always been grateful for the invite to these affairs and made the most of them. True, officers stand in knots, drinks can be hard to track down and buffet not as spectacular as could be but I've looked on it as a stamina test. Attend a few and you soon get the hang of it.

1. Always enter on the captain's side how will they ever know you if you don't? Forget those who say you are fawning or that you only want to be seen or be heard. They may be right but who cares?

2. Befriend a bar waiter or two during the cruise, sit or stand in their section if you see them at the party, they will take good care of you.

3. Gird up your loins and speak to an officer no matter how hard it seems. Often that leads to other introductions e.g. officer gets bored with you so introduces you to another before they move on.

4. Speak with fellow passengers, if you don't like speaking with officers, Cunard passengers are generally a gregarious, knowledgable and friendly bunch.

5. If all else fails then you should try and capture one of the cruise sales persons as they know everyone; passengers and crew, and will be delighted to introduce you to someone. They are good at this in my opinion.

Voila, the M-AR recipe for a successful SOP, do try it as the ordeal will be over in the blink of an eye and dinner will be calling.

Incidentally, I agree about the morning meet ups, I have never attended those though I believed they were fairly rare. Clearly not now - cost cutting perhaps, less likely we will consume as much booze at that time in the morning? It is so true that there is much more gravitas about a formal evening affair, so let's rebel and demand it stays that way, or failing that take a flask to the morning event and sneak away much alcohol for consumption later.

M-AR

That is exactly what happen on QE on the jubilee cruise last week, held in the Commodore Club, the Commodore left after the hand shake, and made the noon announcement we were expecting him to come back but he did not.

Archived