Did You Receive a State Discount (based on residence)?

As a follow up to my earlier post on why RCI offers discounts based on the state in which you live, I'd like to see whether the various theories hold water (no pun intended:). Do most people get discounts for cruises that depart from nearby ports or is RCI trying to woo people from more distant states?

For those who've received "state" discounts in the past couple of years, would love to see you post the state in which you reside and the port from which your cruise departed.

I would volunteer to go first but have never had the pleasure of a discount based on where I live.:(

I reside in Connecticut. We got a residency discount on our Serenade cruise out of San Juan in 2010.

Royal Caribbean currently has cruises offering resident dicounts for NE on Allure in July and August. So you have not been totally forgotten...maybe some day there will be one when you can cruise...

Weird! Never seen that! Are you from Nebraska? How do you know this? It seems like its not very often for Nebraska. Is it a good deal, considering the airfare to get to Florida?

Wow! What a diverse group of posts. It seems that it may be more important WHEN you book (close to final payment) than WHERE you live. Other than that, doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason -- at least that I can discern.

Would love to know RCI's thinking behind state discounts but I guess that's merely wishful thinking. :roll eyes:

Thanks for all the posts!

Wow! What a diverse group of posts. It seems that it may be more important WHEN you book (close to final payment) than WHERE you live. Other than that, doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason -- at least that I can discern.

Would love to know RCI's thinking behind state discounts but I guess that's merely wishful thinking. :roll eyes:

I do not think the timing is predictable either. the resident discount on my upcoming cruise was available 8 months in advance ....

I usually book almost 2 years out, but I just watch for discounts until I sail! I have been known to change my fare code multiple times from the time I book until my cruise date arrives. It ain't over till it's over! ;)

**Some discounts are for "new bookings only", but the resident/senior/military discounts don't usually fall under that rule. :D

We live in MA and we recived a state discount for my kids' interior cabin at some point. Not sure if we still have it - their cost had dropped 3 times and I got the price lowered each time. I do know that one of the times it was lowered for a state discount.

How did you find this discount? We live in VT, and the receipt includes us?

Here's what my receipt says:

Promo Restrictions: RESIDENT At least one guest must be resident of the following: CT,DE,MA,ME,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT

How did you find this discount? We live in VT, and the receipt includes us?

Here's what my receipt says:

Promo Restrictions: RESIDENT At least one guest must be resident of the following: CT,DE,MA,ME,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT

It's on my Booking Confirmation. The top part, under "General Information", right below the "sailing date".

Archived