looking for best beach experience with small children??

we have 2 small children and would really like to spend the day at a beautiful beach. We were wondering what might be a better choice Magen's bay or sapphire? We would love to spend most of the day at the beach and maybe fit a bit of shopping in before returning to the ship. There are 3 other ships ported that day and was wondering how crowded Magens would get...and how far of a taxi drive it is from the ship? Also is there a chance that we may not be able to rent beach chairs because of the amount of guests or is that even an issue? Thanks for any help with these questions.

Both are very nice beaches, we prefer Sapphire on a busy day, much less crowded. No problem renting lounges at Sapphire, no umbrellas because there are alot of shaded areas. Taxi is 30 - 40 minutes, $9 - 10 pp, kids should be cheaper if young.

Magen's is also a good choice if you walk aways from where everyone is dropped, just more crowded.

Sapphire has great views of St John and Tortola and beautiful sapphire-colored water.

We were at Sapphire just last Monday (june 11th)...there were two ships there at that time. This beach wasn't crowded at all, and it is pretty.

As you're facing the water, the right side is a little harder to negotiate getting in the water, as the bottom is full of rocks for the first several feet. That's the side where snorkeling is best anyway.

As you're facing the water, the left side is totally sandy.

The water was WONDERFUL!!!

The changing areas were decent, too.

We didn't rent chairs, so I can't answer that part. We were only there for two hours, so putting our towels down on the sand was sufficient.

Enjoy.

we have 2 small children and would really like to spend the day at a beautiful beach. We were wondering what might be a better choice Magen's bay or sapphire? We would love to spend most of the day at the beach and maybe fit a bit of shopping in before returning to the ship. There are 3 other ships ported that day and was wondering how crowded Magens would get...and how far of a taxi drive it is from the ship? Also is there a chance that we may not be able to rent beach chairs because of the amount of guests or is that even an issue? Thanks for any help with these questions.

I really liked Sapphire beach but There were many large iguanas there when we visited. Not sure if your small children would think that they are cool or scarey.

The water can sometimes be rough at Sapphire, at least we found this to be the case in the winter months. Magens is generally calmer. Magens is quite a large beach so if you move down the beach, a little father from the concession area, it's usually not as crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: roughness of the water... Generally, all beaches are fairly calm. In the winter, storms can generate waves out of the north making all the north facing beaches less calm. Summer typically is less rough, and southerly (or south easterly) winds can prevail. It is always a good idea to have a back up plan. You can always ask your taxi dispatcher or driver about local beach conditions on the day you arrive. :)

Is it safe to take young kids on such a long drive in the taxis? We have a 20 month old and a 3.5 year old. Sapphire sounds great because our 3.5 year old loves to snorkel, but I worry about the drive there.

I would asked for a closed taxi rather than an open air one. I would not get on one of the open air ones that look like a retro-fitted pickup truck; those look dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Magen's Bay Jan. 2012 with our 4 year old. I think there were more than 3 ships in port that day but we didn't find the beach overly crowded. Just walk away from the food area and you'll find plenty of room down the beach.

It's such a nice clean beach with lockers and bathrooms. Snacks & drinks. The water was so calm when we were there. We went on a ship excursion and would have liked to spend lots more time at the beach.

We are going back this Dec. and I think we will use www.havefunwithus.com for beach transport. It's $16 per person plus the $4 beach fee.

The taxi ride can be crazy! If you are in an open air type one make sure the kids are in the middle and not by the windows!

Archived