Hiking in Alaska

mtclimbermom

I have been searching websites but would love you advice as well. My family loves to hike and are going on our first cruise to Alaska this August. We will be saving $ by not doing many excursions and doing our own hikes. We already know about Mt. Roberts in Juneau. We are going to hike to the top and take the tram down. We are not in Ketchikan long enough to do Deer Mountain. So any suggestions on hikes for my family? My 2 middle schoolers are cruising with us that love to be out in the mountains as well. I would love to find trailheads in walking distance of the docks, if possible. Do you have a favorite? Our ports are Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Thanks!

I know you're going to the Alaska board for good advice but before I forget- we loved the Park ranger walks of the historic district in Skagway. Not a long hike, but so interesting (it was sleeting when we were in Skagway and we still had a great time!) http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

We also took the bus to Mendenhall and did some light hiking there as well: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml

The rest of our hiking was up by Fairbanks and outside the city where we were visiting family pre-cruise.

We were lucky and had fantastic weather for most of our trip (in September, last cruise of the season on our ship....) so we made the most of it by walking & hiking when we could. Have fun!

We have done both walking tours and really enjoyed them. The west end tour takes you on a road where the houses are built into the hill and the street is on pilings comming off the hill. You are near the tree tops where there are lots of eagles. The views are beautiful. If you are lucky and a fishing boat comes in you can see eagles fly from all over to eat the waste from the boat. We saw about 20 eagles all of a sudden swoop in and dive for the fish waste the boat threw into the water. It was quite a sight.

Hello,

Hike the East Loop Trail at the Mendenhall Glacier, outside of Juneau. And if possible see Saint Theresa's Catholic Church which is outside of Juneau but not far from Mendenhall.

Climb the steps in Ketchikan for some spectacular views, and then walk to the Fish Hatchery/park. Double check your times in Ketchikan because you may be able to climb Deer Mountain. My daughter did so in about 4 hours in 2010.

Highly recommended is a splurge in Skagway...rent a car and drive up into the Yukon as far as Whitehorse. Make sure you have your passports. The drive is truly a nice travel experience.

Archived