1/2 Day Halong Bay Tour

cheffip

We are on Celebrity Millennium arriving at Halong Bay early on Feb 20 and departing at 1 pm on Feb 21.

This timing has been a source of frustration for many of us on the cruise who would like to see Hanoi plus do a tour on the Bay.

Even if we do the long one-day trip to Hanoi, we are still faced with the dilemma of a morning only tour of Halong Bay and it's also a tender port.

Will we actually get to see much of the Bay by the time we tender off the ship and get assembled on our junk?

While we would prefer local tours, we are wondering if this is one place where the ship's tour would be best...at least we won't miss the ship if the junk breaks down in mid-ocean.

Any other thoughts on this one?

We are on Celebrity Millennium arriving at Halong Bay early on Feb 20 and departing at 1 pm on Feb 21.

This timing has been a source of frustration for many of us on the cruise who would like to see Hanoi plus do a tour on the Bay.

Even if we do the long one-day trip to Hanoi, we are still faced with the dilemma of a morning only tour of Halong Bay and it's also a tender port.

Will we actually get to see much of the Bay by the time we tender off the ship and get assembled on our junk?

While we would prefer local tours, we are wondering if this is one place where the ship's tour would be best...at least we won't miss the ship if the junk breaks down in mid-ocean.

Any other thoughts on this one?

Damn! We're all waiting for answers to this one!! Hope you get some responses, Phil.

• 3 weeks later...

The Preismans were on a smaller ship, less people to tender.

We are also on the same ship as Cheffip and we are considering the following: Flying to Hanoi from Hong Kong, (missing a sea day) or flying from Hanoi to Hue. We don't want to miss either port as we don't think we will be back to Vietnam.

I and TA have contacted Celebrity to increase the time on Feb 22, but we have not had any reply as of yet. I have been very busy with putting a Europe tour together for the family so now that that is done, I plan on "hounding" Celebrity for some kind of resonable response. You have to contact their head office.

I am waiting for answers to this too, however according to the review below

this is workable.

http://www.thepreismans.com/

click on SE Asia

Thanks...and it's good to know you can see a lot with a 1/2 day tour. However, one advantage that they had was arriving for a half day tour in the afternoon. If there was some delay with their boat, they were safe because the ship wasn't leaving that night.

We had a similar problem the other way round. We arrive at Halong Bay at 1pm and the afternoon junk cruises leave at 12 noon. The morning cruises leave at 8am and arrive back just before noon. Not doable if you only have the morning. We have decided to forego Hanoi and have chartered a junk for an 8 hour Halong Bay cruise on our one full day. Not ideal but the best compromise I could come up with.

We had a similar problem the other way round. We arrive at Halong Bay at 1pm and the afternoon junk cruises leave at 12 noon. The morning cruises leave at 8am and arrive back just before noon. Not doable if you only have the morning. We have decided to forego Hanoi and have chartered a junk for an 8 hour Halong Bay cruise on our one full day. Not ideal but the best compromise I could come up with.

You said you "had", does that mean you are giving up the option of trying to do both, or was this a previous tour? If so do you have any regrets, not going into Hanoi.

I thought if you hired a private junk it could leave at anytime. Am I wrong about that? Oh frustration, why can't Celeb just make things easier for us.:(L

The tour in is Jan next year and we have given up trying to do both. I understand it takes about 3 to 4 hours to get to Hanoi by bus and really don't want to do that. You are right about choosing your own time but I think there is not a lot of leeway. We are leaving at 8.30 returning 4.30. Not sure that the OP was looking to charter a junk. Just to join a tour.

The tour in is Jan next year and we have given up trying to do both. I understand it takes about 3 to 4 hours to get to Hanoi by bus and really don't want to do that. You are right about choosing your own time but I think there is not a lot of leeway. We are leaving at 8.30 returning 4.30. Not sure that the OP was looking to charter a junk. Just to join a tour.

Actually we do have a quote from Smile for a half day private junk tour. But it is a tender port (with potential delays in getting ashore if they do the ship's tour clients first), and the ship leaves at 1 pm. I guess it's a question of how much risk we are willing to take.:(

We did both Hanoi and Halong Bay as we were in the port for two days on a small ship. The trip to Hanoi was really unpleasant. The roads and traffic were terrible making it a very slow and bumpy ride. Hanoi was very crowded and we pretty much had to rush through everything to get it done in a day. Then on the way back there was an accident on the road and rain which made the trip even longer.:mad: Most of the people who said they had a good experience in Hanoi had spent the night there and didn't have to do the drive all in one day. The junk ride in Halong Bay was lovely but quite chilly as we had light rain and cool winds. We had used Mrs. Ha to arrange for a guide for both Hanoi and Halong Bay so it was easy for us. There were a lot of junks available but evidently they aren't all equal in quality. We were out for several hours and visited two caves while we were there. Yes, it might be a risk that if the junk broke down, you would miss your ship's departure albeit a remote possiblity.

On day 1 you can drive to Hanoi (approx 4 hours one way), do a quick round (try to see the water puppet show. It's a must) and go back to the ship very, very late night.

On day 2 early morning let the junk takes you for a short trip round the bay, and make sure to return to your ship on time.

Bon voyage, and please try the Vietnamese coffee. Enjoy!

We did both Hanoi and Halong Bay as we were in the port for two days on a small ship. The trip to Hanoi was really unpleasant. The roads and traffic were terrible making it a very slow and bumpy ride. Hanoi was very crowded and we pretty much had to rush through everything to get it done in a day. Then on the way back there was an accident on the road and rain which made the trip even longer.:mad: Most of the people who said they had a good experience in Hanoi had spent the night there and didn't have to do the drive all in one day. The junk ride in Halong Bay was lovely but quite chilly as we had light rain and cool winds. We had used Mrs. Ha to arrange for a guide for both Hanoi and Halong Bay so it was easy for us. There were a lot of junks available but evidently they aren't all equal in quality. We were out for several hours and visited two caves while we were there. Yes, it might be a risk that if the junk broke down, you would miss your ship's departure albeit a remote possiblity.

Thanks for the feedback...when were you there?

Hi Sandancer,

Our group is looking to do the same. Can you tell me the company that you chartered with? A starting point would certainly be helpful and most appreciated! Thanks! Tammy

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Scottam, just picked up your post. The company is Bhaya day cruises and I found them on TripAdvisor. I have found though that I have not been able to get enough people for a charter as they all want to go to Hanoi. Have you got your group together? If anyone knows of a company who can include us with another tour group -Smile was mentioned. I would be grateful.

if you come to check in late at the pier, you can contact with the Cruise office at the pier or the agency that you booked the Cruise trip, they will arrange for you a tender to catch the Big Cruise. And rate for tender of each Cruise is different.

For example: Jasmine Junk charge 40 USD/tender if you are late in 30 minutes, and 80 USD/tender in 1 hours....

Tenders are still availble in very late. However, if you come to very late, you will miss some activities.

• 1 year later...
We had a similar problem the other way round. We arrive at Halong Bay at 1pm and the afternoon junk cruises leave at 12 noon. The morning cruises leave at 8am and arrive back just before noon. Not doable if you only have the morning. We have decided to forego Hanoi and have chartered a junk for an 8 hour Halong Bay cruise on our one full day. Not ideal but the best compromise I could come up with.[/quote

What 8 hour Halong junk cruise is the best one to take?

Have a wonderful time in Halong Bay and Hanoi. We were glad that we only did the half day tour in Halong Bay, since we did see quite a bit of it before we arrived at the port. I would certainly have enjoyed seeing more of the bay; but that would have meant not going to Hanoi. The 3.5 hour drive was most interesting. It is one of those places where you really feel like you are in a different part of the world; unlike European tours where it looks like the USA. We just loved looking out at the rice fields with the workers and water bison's working hard.

SE_Asia_IMG_0547.jpg

SE_Asia_IMG_0066.jpg

Plus watching what passes on all of the motorcycles is truly amazing.

SE_Asia_IMG_8892.jpg

SE_Asia_IMG_0050.jpg

Good luck deciding on what to do. It is a tough decision. Since we knew we would not be doing another cruise that went to Vietnam; we chose to see as much of the country as possible. We were so glad we did.

We were on Celebrity in Feb this year and did the SE Asia cruise (Singapore to HK). On that cruise, we overnight in Hanoi and did not have to leave until 10pm the next day. So our situation was quite different and had no scheduling issues.

These are my thoughts:

• If time is tight, always go with the ship's tour because the ship will wait.
  • We booked the ship's 1/2 day Ha Long Bay boat tour. We were picked up right from the ship (i.e. from ship to yacht using a floating barge). So there is no need to tender to shore.
  • The yacht has inside cabin where there are benches with table between them. The water is extremely calm in Ha Long Bay.
  • We sailed through hundreds of limestone islets and arrived at a pier where one of the large caves is located. There are about 120 very low steps to climb but is not hard to manage due to the line-up. Progress is stop and go, so you get to rest along the way.
  • The cave is huge and well ventilated.
  • We found that the second day is quieter than the first day to visit Ha Long Bay. We went on the first day and there were at least 40 small yachts picking up their passengers so it was a bit hectic.
  • Vietnam's drivers are very aggressive and there are lots of motor cyclists who do not obey traffic regulations. We have seen drivers being cut off by them, motor cyclists going the wrong way, etc. Be very careful crossing the road. Watch out for these motor cyclists. They are very fast.
  • We witnessed an accident along the way. Apparently, there are lots of traffic accidents in Vietnam.
  • We did the Ha Long Countryside & Shopping on the second day and do not recommend it.
  • On hind sight, I would do the 1 day Hanoi, then the 1/2 day Ha Long Bay boat tour.
  • Celebrity won't offer you an excursion that can't make it back on time for sailing, but they will be a little bit more relaxed if the tour is on an overnight day. These tour operators are very experienced. So you can relax if you are going with the ship's tour.

"We did the Ha Long Countryside & Shopping on the second day and do not recommend it."

Are you able to expand on your reasons for not recommending this excursion; we are thinking of doing it on our second day (like yourselves we are doing the half day Halong Bay excursion on our first day).

Any advice and info would be very helpful. Thanks

Archived