Still trying to figure out the Upgrade Fairy

cflutist

Our upgrade was from a BG GTY to a BA and then to a Mini suite. At the same time we have benefited from $1300 in price drops for the two of us. The price we are paying for our Mini suite is still over $2600 less than the current price we would have to pay for that category.

From everything I can determine, the upgrades are due to the following:

1. Still quite a few available cabins on this cruise, opening some of he cheaper ones are easier to sell and gives them cabins for the GTY ones booked and not yet assigned.

2. Our TA as part of a "preferred" Princess group due to volume and ratings. This adds to the "score" the computer uses to dispatch the fairy.

3. We have always booked balconies with Princess and they would like us to upgrade to Mini's in the future..:rolleyes: If they could only see our entire history, they would realize this is probably a good move.

First cruise = inside

second cruise = ocean view = no more insides

Third cruise = balcony = no more insides

4th cruise = balcony = happy here..

5th cruise = mini suite = ????

I spot a trend..:D

Mathamatics, Shmathamatics . . .in my mind, I have always pictured someone flitting around in the Princess office in Santa Clarita donning a Fairy costume, tapping a large "magic wand" on random reservation minions who would then click a link that would upgrade the reservation they currently had on their computer. Of course, the fairy would sprinkle some pixie dust for good measure. So, according to this thread, that isn't true? Next you are going to tell me that The Upgrade Fairy's cousin, The Tooth Fairy is really a tired parent forced to part with hard earned cash in the middle of the night? Come on! :eek:

I just wonder how many people will book a guarantee and then get upset if the upgrade fairy doesn't grant them their dream cabin. Or if the "upgrade" ends up being a cabin in an undesirable location.

I spend lots of time on these boards and read very few where somebody comes on to "just report" that they got an undesirable or ordinary cabin -- exactly like they paid for. It is either :mad: screaming because Madame Fairy did not appear or :D full out bragging how they got something for nothing cause they are such a brilliant, wonderful, beautiful cruiser. Both are to be taken with grains of salt because you usually get exactly what you pay for. When I say no upgrade I at least have the cabin that I want and paid for!!!

I for one was just too anxious and upset by getting what I paid for when I went "guarantee" -- I found that I really did expect not only an upgrade but a good upgrade to a great cabin. The really down side was that I was not as happy on that cruise because I felt "let down" even though I knew what I was signing up for. Emotions are those things that sneak in when not looking. I still would like to gamble on the guarantees but know that the downside is more likely and I will be unhappy. I don't even often read upgrade threads because then I start "fairy thinking" !

Please refer to my earlier explanation about upgrades. My information came from an employee that knows how the system works. However I will agree that new princess passengers or someone that hasn't been on princes cruises for a few years do seem to get upgrades!

I am thinking of designing a small shrine to the elusive Upgrade Fairy...

Then maybe she will benovelantly sprinkle a bit more fairy dust on my tow existing GTY bookings!!!

fairy.jpg

Pretty Pretty. I will now picture your glittery fairy as the one who ignores me!

However I will agree that new princess passengers or someone that hasn't been on princes cruises for a few years do seem to get upgrades!

Upgrades are done on the computer based on the price you paid for your cabin, your number of cruises and if they have over sold your cabin level.

New passengers do not get the past passenger rate and this will normally pay more than repeat passengers, thus fitting into the category of having paid more.

Archived