Aux Anciens Canadiens (Ancient Canadian)

It is a very well known restaurant in a very old building. We went in the evening and found it pricey, but it may be much more reasonable for lunch. They are known for their game. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the lunch specials.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d701720-Reviews-Aux_Anciens_Canadiens-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

During the day (in the old town inside the walls) most of the restaurant will be touristy. One we found and like last summer is in the lower town, very close to where you will dock: Le Lapin Saute. The is a play on words: lapin means rabbit and saute means jump, or with an accent it means fried. If you like or want to try rabbit, this would be where to go. It is tiny and you should make a reservation.

http://www.lapinsaute.com/english/home/?_page=english/home/&lang=EN

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d706118-Reviews-Lapin_Saute-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

It is a very well known restaurant in a very old building. We went in the evening and found it pricey, but it may be much more reasonable for lunch. They are known for their game. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the lunch specials.

Thanks. :)

I've read glowing reviews here on CC of this restaurant in Quebec City. The 3 course lunch specials look very good and the prices are certainly reasonable.

http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/en/menu-du-jour.htm

Does anyone have any recommendations of what to order for an entree?

There's a restaurant call The Continental just a few doors away which is also very good. They have a web site if you want to check it out.

There's a restaurant call The Continental just a few doors away which is also very good. They have a web site if you want to check it out.

It looks wonderful (and #1 on Trip Advisor) but it's a little out of our price range. :o

One of the other reasons we chose Aux Anciens Canadiens is the fact that they feature a lot of "local" Quebec favorites.

As an entrée, I suggest the tradition Pea Soup.

For Main, the tortiere (meat pie) is traditional as is the tortiere de lac st-jean (wild meat pie). Both of those are traditional. I don't see cipaille listed. Meatball ragout is also traditional.

(Entrée means appetizer worldwide, except the US. Don't ask me how the word got corrupted, it's French for appetizer and the word "to enter".)

It looks wonderful (and #1 on Trip Advisor) but it's a little out of our price range. :o

One of the other reasons we chose Aux Anciens Canadiens is the fact that they feature a lot of "local" Quebec favorites.

We ate there about 10 years ago when we were in Quebec City for the winter carnival. Obviously, a long time for a review to be accurate, but we liked it. A friend who goes to Quebec city ever few years considers it 'must visit.'

For Main, the tortiere (meat pie) is traditional as is the tortiere de lac st-jean (wild meat pie). Both of those are traditional. I don't see cipaille listed. Meatball ragout is also traditional.

(Entrée means appetizer worldwide, except the US. Don't ask me how the word got corrupted, it's French for appetizer and the word "to enter".)

Thanks for the menu tips, and I agree about the weird way English has evolved. It's strange how entree has become the word for main course here in North America, as it obviously should be the word for "entrance" or appetizer.

We ate there about 10 years ago when we were in Quebec City for the winter carnival. Obviously, a long time for a review to be accurate, but we liked it. A friend who goes to Quebec city ever few years considers it 'must visit.'

10 years ago or a week ago, as someone who has never been there any review is accurate to me! :)

This restaurant is a true tourist trap. Quebec City has so many better choices. It is known for its excellent restaurants, many of which emphasize local cuisine. That is not to say that the food at Aux Anciens Canadiens is bad-it is not....it is just that you can do better. Tripadvisor is a good starting point.

I suggest you Google the Saint-Amour...mmmm

Chef Jean Soulard hélas thé Château Frontenac hôtel restaurants, from café to fabulons dining rooms, food fabulous and thé décor of that hôtel can't be more Québec city unique. Bon appétit !

Le Lapin Sauté is an excellent and more affordable choice. It is open for lunch. The atmosphere is lovely.

I'm actually considering it for lunch now, as we're planning on doing a walking tour with Tours Voir that ends in the lower town and very close to Le Lapin Saute. :)

Aux Anciens Canadiens is in the upper town, correct?

Correct. It is very close to the Chateau Frontenac Hotel.

I'm still trying to decide between the two. If we choose Aux Anciens, can you give me an idea how long it would take after our tour to take the Funicular back up and walk to Aux Anciens Canadiens?

Thanks! :)

I agree with you, Ephraim, I love the resturant. The pea soup and Tortiere is very good. Looking forward to going there on our Quebec City cruise in October. I believe the walking is not hard, if you are up to it. I walked all over in the Mediterranean but had just to watch out for the cobble stones and cars on the narrow streets but Quebec City is not like that except on the lower area.

I will be 76 years old and French-Canadian is my maternal DNA line.

Take care..

Irene & Miles

When we went in 2010 they had a lunch menu with prices that were not really any more than any of the other places we checked out. We were actually on our way to Aux Anciens Canadiens but it wasn't open for another half hour. We're going again in September in docked overnight so maybe this time we'll get try it.

There are very few restaurants that make the down home classic Quebec dishes anymore.

As for the word entree, in Quebec in both English and French it always refers to an appetizer.

Archived