Thoughts on Elation???

mamajo3304

Would anyone like to share their thoughts on Elation or the port of Progreso?

Considering this 5 day trip for April 2013- help me to decide plz

We are comparing it with a 4 day from Miami to Key West and Cozumel. I came back recently from Cozumel so I just need to compare Key West to Progreso as both go to Cozumel.

Thanks

I took the same itinerary Aug 2010. Progresso was new to me as I had been in Cozumel once before. We took an Autoprogresso tour to Merida and some ruins and it was very beautiful- a real taste of Yucatan life. To me, Key west is too touristy and not worth a port day on a cruise. It really depends on what you intend to do in port though.

Elation is a very pretty ship with a serenity area (not all ships have them). Its one of the newest of the Fantasy class.

I am wanting to go to Progresso again because its so much closer to see ruins that I have not yet seen.

Cozumel is a island, and not the best for sightseeing in Mexico. I love Key West, its always fun, but Progresso if you would like to see ruins or Mexico.

This is the longest pier in the world and they will provide a free shuttle down the pier ($1 a person or $2 tip to me is appropriate), and they have the cheapest excursions to good places of any port I know of .. a real deal.

They use the same busses that Carnival uses .. so I would trust them, unlike a lot of private excursions ..

I have it on my to do list (though I did Elation twice, it went to another port out of Mobile).

Loved the Elation when I was on her five years ago. She was doing the Caribbean then. The small deck jutting above the Serenity area that you can see in the second picture above is, if I recall correctly, accessible from the Lido restaurant. It's a great place for breakfast or lunch at sea.

These pictures actually look exactly like Paradise (our first cruise in May). Although the only time I saw Serenity look bare like that was at midnight! lol it was standing room only on Sea Days and you watched everyone like a hawk and jumped before they got all their stuff when they were leaving.

The picture was taken shortly before dinner, so thats why its so empty.

Paradise and Elation are the only two ships that were on the west coast when all the other fantasy class ships got the waterworks .. so you are correct, they both dont have it, but getting 2.0 instead in a couple of years.

Cruised the ELATION 3 times (my only 3-dayer of 21 cruises was on this beauty). The 2nd to last Fantasy Class ship built, she is a classy ship, IMHO. Don't miss Duke's piano bar. I also enjoy the "wings" that come out of each side of the buffet with great views aft.

I think Progresso is one of the most UNDERRATED port stops in the fleet. I really loved it. Took the provided bus into town and just walked along the beach and had a great lunch at one of the restaurants.

We Love Elation and Progresso, in fact we are counting the days to our next cruise on that ship to that port.

Elation is the prettiest ship we have been on and the smaller size makes it very easy to navigate.

Lots to do in Progresso. It really feels like you are in a foriegn country. We have enjoyed our previous stop there.

The only problem I have with Elation is that it is hard to find a place to sit in the shade and look out at the sea.

It is the same on the other Fantasy class ships I have been on.

Otherwise Elation is very pretty.

Be sure to wander into the buffet area at night as the peacock stained glass sows up best with the lights.

I was not enchanted with the serenity area.

The only empty chairs were wet and nasty from people who get in the hot tub and then slop water all over the chairs.

And in the summer it is really hot out there as there is not much breeze.

As for Progreso a definite thumbs up.

I have been to Progreso several times.

I have been on excursions from Progreso to Chichen Itza, Dzibilchaltun, Ushmal, and Merida.

All those excursions are good.

Chichen Itza means a lot of time spent on the bus, but hey, you know?

And if you don't want to do an excursion you can always ride the $3 open bus tour around the town and it is fun for not much spent.

We don't do short cruises much, but looking forward to our Elation cruise.

Some pictures from ProgreSo. It is very much more authentic Mexico than Cozumel. Cheaper, too!

Progreso: Sept 2010, Chichen Itza: Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Progreso Dec 07

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Progesso is a great port if you like the the more laid-back type of place. Key West is beautiful, but totally touristy and not a lot of uniqueness, IMO. I want to to go back to Progresso, there were several excursions that I wanted to do.

I have been on the Elation twice, and loved both times. I've been to Progreso 4 times.

Progreso is not anything like Key West - it's much more "old Mexico" than Cozumel, too. We've done the same thing every time - ride the (now) "3 buck truck" around town, then head to Le Saint Bonnet for drinks (google and you can find free margarita coupons most of the time :D) and great food, then walk across the street to the beach for an hour long massage under the palm trees. Ahhhhh.... wish I were there now. We just spend the day relaxing on the beach and enjoying the day.

3 buck truck:

2012426370059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Le Saint Bonnet: great view of the beach right across the street

2070950920059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Reasons to go to Le Saint Bonnet

2631058380059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2001611010059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Ahhh.... massage (3 of us for $45 for an hour, you can see Le Saint Bonnet in the background)

2883529640059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived