Cruising with your 7yr old and no spouse

foxesden1

So I booked a o e week cruise with my daughter next April. It was more the I tend to spend, but I went forint because my two cuz were to travel with is on a ladies trip. I booked the ES rate, in a cabin that sleeps two. So I think with out moving, and more money my husband may not be able to join us.

So my question is, how does cruising go, as a adult when you are alone with your child.

Do they put you with other "lone parent families" ? Do you skip the dining room and go to the Buffet? Get a table for two?

I would also like to do the steak house, and as I understand it you get a free bottle of wine of you goon the first night. Do they let you take the rest with you?

Any tips?

Thanks!

First of all- you'll have a great time with your daughter. Kids excitement is so contagious. I have been traveling alone with my son since he was 3 almost 4.

Usually we don't do the formal dining the first day. I have found that once you get onboard, you have a late lunch or burger by the pool. You explore the ship- make spa reservations, go to check out the youth program, etc. Sometimes your luggage doesn't arrive in the room until dinner time anyway! (I take our swimsuits in our carryons). Then there is the lifeboat drill at right after you set sail.

So we usually just do the buffet and that's usually late night anyway because we are still full from our late lunch.

I insist that my son come to dinner the second night. I say try it and if you don't like it- you don't have to go anymore. Girls probably do enjoy it more because they like dressing up. You will be sat with at least one other family with children. By the end of the cruise they will be your friends and it is nice to see them each day and discuss your day. Also, on one cruise I ended up touring with my tablemates. So put yourself out there and do traditional dining.

I personally did not like dining alone. If you go to the specialty restaurant, ask if another solo passenger would like eating with you. If you have wine left over they will save it for you and you can probably drink it in the main diningroom the next night.

Go to Trivia. The same people go all the time (usually twice a day) and you will have instant friends.

Don't be shy, sit at the bar. Talk with people. Kids are a great way of meeting other people. I find people are so talkative with a child and this is a great ice-breaker.

I have to say that traveling with a cute kid- the crew bends over backwards. They love kids.

I went on one cruise in 2005 and when I returned to the same ship in 2007- several crew members spotted me from the previous cruise and said "Where's the Bambino!?" So they do remember these kids. So cute.

There are a bunch of us here who cruise alone with our kids. It's great quality time. I don't think you'll be matched with other "lone parent" families at dinner, but more likely just other families. We eat every meal in the dining room - there's certainly no reason to go to the buffet if you prefer the dining room. I prefer to eat dinner just with my family because we never get to at home, but sharing a table with other familise would be fun as well. Cruising lends itself to meeting others with the activities, shared dining and general friendly attitude, so I never feel lonely for adult conversation on a cruise.

Leftover wine generally follows you to your dining room table and will reappear each night until it's gone.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Don't forget to bring a notarized letter from your husband (assuming your husband is your daughter's father) that specifically gives you permission to take her out of country. If my assumption is incorrect, than it is even more important to get that letter.

My son and I have different last names and so I do always carry this letter with me. I have only been asked for it twice but you should read your cruise docs. For example Canada is very strict about this. I just read my cruise docs to make sure I had everything. It doesn't mention the letter but it says that if the last names are different you have to have the birth certificate (not just the passport) to show that you are the mother.

Just be friendly and willing to chat! Ask for a large table....preferably in traditional, so you'll get to know your tablemates. They will most likely seat you with others who have kids....good for your child, too!

Don't forget to bring a notarized letter from your husband (assuming your husband is your daughter's father) that specifically gives you permission to take her out of country. If my assumption is incorrect, than it is even more important to get that letter.

Yep all ready on that!

I am another one who cruises without hubby (he only gets one week of vacation time/year and the girls and I like to cruise more than once/year)

Yes we absolutely go to the main dining room. Yes they have paired us with other families with kids. We like cruising alone because for us - it's EASIER. The girls and I have our own schedule and daddy throws a wrench into the works ;)

The one piece of advice I give to everyone on this board (and you might have seen it already so please forgive me) The one thing I always do before our "alone" cruises is get involved and become VERY active in the CC roll call. I have made some lasting friendships with some people who I have cruised with from those roll calls. I got to know them before we boarded through the roll calls - then met them onboard - some I've done excursions with - heck even one couple I drove home from NYC because their flight wasn't scheduled to leave NY until late that night at the end of the cruise and their house was on MY way home. So they got to see their own children about 10 hours earlier than they would have. ;) (yes I know that's an extreme case but it happened lol)

Have a great cruise!

Archived